News:

Deals Gap Parking lot triage, looking at sunroofed #2:

This year:  May 5-12th.  25th year!
(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

K&N Pod Filters can we make them work on RD ?

Started by Pravin, August 09, 2022, 10:21:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

irk_miller

I run a ton of Uni filters on bikes, mostly dirt, but a Ramair on my RD.  Never experienced my filters disintegrating.  I do oil them with Fab 1.

Pravin

Quote from: irk_miller on August 10, 2022, 05:56:56 AM
I run a ton of Uni filters on bikes, mostly dirt, but a Ramair on my RD.  Never experienced my filters disintegrating.  I do oil them with Fab 1.

I guess am the unfortunate soul here For UNI  pods :) BUT YES would like to try Ram Air ...any part number I can refer kn evil bay ?

Cheers
Pr :busey:avin

Alain2

I use cheap foam pod filters from ebay and UNI, I oil them and they all last few years so far. I find the cheap ebay filters clamp better on the carb because they have a smaller diameter. I also used k&n pods in the past, they worked fine too.
1973 RD350, 1977 RD400, 1979 RD400, 1980 RD400, 1985 MJ50, Goped Zenoah 30cc.

Striker1423

Quote from: Pravin on August 10, 2022, 12:06:34 AM
Quote from: 350GUY on August 10, 2022, 12:01:09 AM
The humidity + salinity is the culprit.

Yes and the chrome also doesn't last more than couple years of you don't coat it with grease in monsoon which makes the bike look like shit when u ride in rain n muck on the roads

Wax the shit out of your chrome. Regular carnauba wax. (Turtle Wax). With no grit is important. That works best on chrome.

Pravin

Quote from: Striker1423 on August 10, 2022, 07:37:10 AM

Yes and the chrome also doesn't last more than couple years of you don't coat it with grease in monsoon which makes the bike look like shit when u ride in rain n muck on the roads

Wax the shit out of your chrome. Regular carnauba wax. (Turtle Wax). With no grit is important. That works best on chrome.

Any specific turtle wax ? I see many turtle wax , liquid , finish rubbing compound , super hard shell finish , etcetc ....advertise for car polishing ..

These wil do right ?

2t Fan

Quote from: Pravin on August 10, 2022, 06:01:31 AM
Quote from: irk_miller on August 10, 2022, 05:56:56 AM

I guess am the unfortunate soul here For UNI  pods :) BUT YES would like to try Ram Air ...any part number I can refer kn evil bay ?

Cheers
Pr :busey:avin

I do have similar experience with UNI in India. I feel its the humidity that eats up the thing. won't last more than a year and a half max

Striker1423

Quote from: Pravin on August 10, 2022, 08:31:54 AM
Quote from: Striker1423 on August 10, 2022, 07:37:10 AM

Any specific turtle wax ? I see many turtle wax , liquid , finish rubbing compound , super hard shell finish , etcetc ....advertise for car polishing ..

These wil do right ?
THIS:

https://www.acehardware.com/departments/automotive-rv-and-marine/car-cleaning-supplies/automobile-waxes-and-polishes/83822?store=18616&gclid=Cj0KCQjwrs2XBhDjARIsAHVymmTwUMCzZ9cz5zLTPBunQcTk6AhbbdRsKCXVL6R0v_uk0ObFKOmDbGwaAipCEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

Pravin

automan

I run both.
K+N's from 1984 runs so much better.
Uni's still good since 2014.

The KN's are with the big flat chrome back and are perfect.
I switched to UNI just for the 15 degree angle.

cliff

so... what is the theory on these K+N's?

Pravin

Quote from: automan on August 14, 2022, 11:49:58 AM
I run both.

cliff

Automan I guess you are one of the few whosay K&N Pods work well !!!
Good to hear , I have those since a decade but never tried illl put in them on til I get my UNIs

Cheers
Pravin

irk_miller

I run both.

cliff

As it was explained to me, the chrome back can cause an unsavory reverberation, or something to that effect.  It was in response to me considering a pair with a 4" diameter filter and 2" depth.  I needed something to fit within the frame and the carbs. 

Pravin

Quote from: irk_miller on August 15, 2022, 06:00:29 AM
I run both.

cliff

As it was explained to me, the chrome back can cause an unsavory reverberation, or something to that effect.  It was in response to me considering a pair with a 4" diameter filter and 2" depth.  I needed something to fit within the frame and the carbs.

Yes I also have same knowledge or review on them which I have heard and read so far

m in sc

ive hear plenty claim they worked well.. but the unis will 99% of the time work better. depending on the distance the hard back of the filter is from the bellmouth is where the difference is. if its a LONG filter, usually the wave wont cause any issues. but you cant fit really long ones on most rds. hence why the unis are used or a y-boot.  :twocents:

Plasticman

While living in Houston close to the ocean, my UNIs lasted 3-4 years when oiled on my RD400.  It was always kept in a garage.  I haven't installed the new UNIs I have for it now that I live in Alabama..

Rob
1976 - RD400 - road racer
1977 - RD400 - project (single shock/cartridge fork/modern wheels/brakes)
1978 - RD400 - Auburn themed motorcycle
1979 - RD400 - Daytona (under restoration)

Pravin

Quote from: m in sc on August 15, 2022, 07:58:33 AM
ive hear plenty claim they worked well.. but the unis will 99% of the time work better. depending on the distance the hard back of the filter is from the bellmouth is where the difference is. if its a LONG filter, usually the wave wont cause any issues. but you cant fit really long ones on most rds. hence why the unis are used or a y-boot.  :twocents:

Thanks SC .... WILL A 10MM REED SPACER Make any difference ?