News:

Deals Gap Parking lot triage, looking at sunroofed #2:

This year:  May 5-12th.  25th year!
(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

K&N Pod Filters can we make them work on RD ?

Started by Pravin, August 09, 2022, 10:21:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pravin

One of the many doubts ,

I have been using UNI pods on my cafe racer bike and every year they dis integrate , the RED layer wears off in few months and then the second stage black foam pod also tears off ..

I dont use my cafe daily and mostly in summer , so she's parked a lot of time , and I don't oil the filters , so that is the reason they go out of shape ?

I had been holding the K&N POD filters for long and heard that they don't work well due to metal plate .... is there anything we can do to make those work ? like adding some extension between carb and filter ?

I don't want to replace UNI Pods every year : (

Cheers.
Pravin

m in sc

you leave your bike outside, dont you? Ive run unis for many years no issues. but i don't store them outside.  that being said... run a  y boot and k & n of you have to  stay away from the hard backed ones... and , fwiwi, they don't really hold up that well either.

IF you have to leave it outside, cover it. IF you have to try hard backed filters, make a 2" or so runner between the bellmouth and the filter neck.

are you running genuine unis or something else?

Pravin

No SC she's parked in a stilt parking well covered ... I don't oil then so they go dry ? And disintegrate?

Just don't find a reason why in a year they go bad ..:( 

m in sc

i never oil mine. i get 5+ years out of them. usually more.

Pravin

Wow that's good life , do you oil them or run then dry ?

m in sc

Pravin

:( may be coastal humid weather then here in Mumbai ..

For now I'll replace them though as they work well !!

Cheers
Pravin

m in sc

im sure the coastal environment is mostly to blame then. its rough on everything.   :twocents:

Clem710

Mine last forever as well, dont oil either.  I wouldnt think it would just be the weather even tho its notoriously hot in India.  The sun is also usually hard on plastics but they are covered mostly.

Maybe something is in your fuel that is not in ours and whatever blowback you get is eating them?  Or maybe you are not getting the real ones

Pravin

Quote from: Clem710 on August 09, 2022, 02:49:30 PM
Mine last forever as well, dont oil either.  I wouldnt think it would just be the weather even tho its notoriously hot in India.  The sun is also usually hard on plastics but they are covered mostly.

Maybe something is in your fuel that is not in ours and whatever blowback you get is eating them?  Or maybe you are not getting the real ones

Fuel is a valid point , possible ....2 sets I got from usa so I think they are genuine ..
I am runin premix ...

rodneya

You could try some Ramair filters from the UK next time.

Clem710

+1, if you are doing it every year, you could try just about anything as long as you are not losing pistons and cylinders.  Sock on a gutter guard?

350GUY

Pravin

Quote from: Clem710 on August 09, 2022, 10:14:12 PM
+1, if you are doing it every year, you could try just about anything as long as you are not losing pistons and cylinders.  Sock on a gutter guard?

Yes I'll try RAM air ....i do have k&N Pod filters which I bought back in 2009 in usa but never installed reading the reviews ...those seem to be solid ones for Mumbai weather ..

It's the humid and salty sea level air :(

Pravin

Quote from: 350GUY on August 10, 2022, 12:01:09 AM
The humidity + salinity is the culprit.

Yes and the chrome also doesn't last more than couple years of you don't coat it with grease in monsoon which makes the bike look like shit when u ride in rain n muck on the roads