News:

Mat Oxley 1986 IOM TT

click above to read more about Mat.

Main Menu

New to me TZR250

Started by m in sc, October 10, 2022, 12:01:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

m in sc

added a few things, in particular a manual petcock from a zx7, and this neat little gizmo. it gear reduces the speedo drive to make a KPH speedo read in mph, and is dead on according to gps. highly recommend if the need is there.

RustyRD

that's cool, and where does one find such an item?

m in sc

found it on ebay NZ or Australia, but shipped from the UK. this was the seller: https://www.ebay.com/str/powerpartsuk

ajb

Yep, handy things.  You can get two different types, depending on which end of the cable you wish to fit it.

I had one on my 3XC R1-Z, worked great as you say.

m in sc

Fork Seals: so, after the 3rd set started leaking, i finally had to accept the fact the uppers were just too far gone to  seal. so, I looked and the only ones i was able to find is from ebay, from china.  while not being terribly thrilled about it, it was cheap enough to try. have to say, it really am happy w what came. I also have new bushing sin there from yambits, so aside from the lowers and the caps, all that shit is now: new.

Note the caliper, a small chuck of 1/4" aluminum in the pads held in with a bungee keeps everything ready to go for re-installation or to thwarts an accidental lever pull.

Kawtriplefreak

SoCal250

Nice! :thumbs:  Funny, I had just looked at those same tubes on eBay the other day while randomly browsing TZR stuff.
I was curious how durable that plating would be and how they would hold up over time.
75 Yamaha RD125B   75 Yamaha RD125B (project)
75 Yamaha RD250B   75 Yamaha RD200B (project)
73 Yamaha RD350     77 Yamaha RD400D   79 Yamaha RD400F  
91 Yamaha TZR250R  89 Yamaha FZR400   05 Yamaha FZ6   
05 Yamaha XT225TC  82 Honda MB5  02 Aprilia RS250 Cup (sold)

m in sc

got it all sorted rode it a few times. I swapped the brake line with a new one and also got a small black master cyl for it. had a small issue though, the copper washers for the banjos i got from yambots apparently are so thin, they extruded a bit, and while letting it sit overnight, it puked brake fluid ion the wheel 9had the lever zip tied to the bars to final bleed out any air bubbles). discovered this last night. so, swapped the r1 caliper back on with old school washers, then took it out for a nice hour ride across the lake, etc. the forks are doing really well, bike feels fantastic.  but, if you order anything from yambits, skip the copper washers for sealing. no bueno.

Kawtriplefreak

Duly noted on the washers. Glad it is sorted. It sure is sweet.

Acme Moto

The gold tubes look great!
Current bikes: 82' RD350LC, 85' RZV500, 86' RZ500S, 88' YSR50, 90' YSR50, 91' RGV250, 96'RS250, 06' Banshee
Sold: 92' TZR250SP :(

m in sc

Got a caliper from Evans, and installe dit on the TZR. works fantastic.

also, testing to see if the new image upload option works on the site.

pdxjim

Im using an EX300 master. Works way better than stock.
Wasting time on 2T forums since the dawn of the internet. '89 TDR250, '13 300xcw, '19 690smcr, '56 Porsche 356A

m in sc

thats not a stock master. 12.7mm aftermarket.  finding an angled one was tricky but works well

m in sc

fuel starvation at sustained wot issue resolved.

So, as a long overdue follow up, with a zeel, fresh motor, etc, serviced tank, fuel cap vent, etc... I have always, if i held the throttle wide open for any length of time, would eventually hit a wall in the top of 3rd of 4th gear.

since in the past almost year, ive gone thru all of the 'obvious' things, i was still experiencing an issue when trying to maintain wot , on occasion (not like i ride it THAT hard ALL the time).

I think I have finally overcome my own ignorance and solved it. actually, i know i did. I probably would have gone to jail if a cop showed up while i was testing this repair out.  :toot:  :devil:

It boiled down to fuel line routing. I felt so dumb.

The way I GOT the bike, the line came out of the petock, aimed back, under the frame rail & airbox, looped down and between the carbs, and the tee was in between the 2 carbs w the middle leg pointed 'down'. it then took a 90 degree turn off the tee  to each carb.

I didn't find any fuel line routing diagram in the manual.. but recently was looking at it and noticed the one pic, from the bottom, that showed:
the petock outlet soft line aiming down and forward.

I never noticed this, then looking closely at other images in the manual, i realized the line was much, much shorter than what i had received w the bike.  i extrapolated that the line goes: forward back under the petcock, takes a RH turn under the frame rail to the 'left' port on the tee, then, the middle port go down to the feed on the LH carb, and the 'right' leg of the tee feed the RH carb.

by doing this, i removed about 1 foot or so of fuel line, and its not curving down and back up as much, acting like a sink drain (p-trap).

after i replumbed all the lines(changing noting else), I took it out and found a nice back road and held it WTFO in 1,2,3 and halfway thru 4th and it never faltered or sucked the carb bowls dry like i had in the past.  I know this might  have been obvious to many, but i had never seen any fuel line routing diagrams nor have since for this bike, nor am i familiar w this layout.

the OP had routed it odd i think to fit in an inline cut off valve. Mines now a manual petock so no need for that.

Just figured id share.

Kawtriplefreak