Deals Gap Parking lot triage, looking at sunroofed #2:

This year:  May 5-12th.  25th year!
(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

A few clutch questions

Started by Guygrrr, December 19, 2022, 02:41:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Guygrrr

Greetings lads. I'm in the process of reassembling an RD350 engine. I'm at the point of installing the clutch and I have a few questions, if I may.

I noticed that the outer clutch basket has quite a bit of play re. the cush assembly. The basket will rotate freely of the drive gear, with maybe 30* of rotation. My experience is not with RDs but I'm of the opinion that any play is excessive. Could anyone shed some light on that for me? Is this fine/ normal or is it worn out like I think it is?

Second, to my embarrassment I found a stepped thrust washer that I'm not exactly sure the placement of. Is it between the basket and the case, or the between the 2 baskets? And can you enlighten me which way the step side faces?

And finally, in disassembling the engine I was force to drill the head off one of the clutch bolts. I think it would be prudent of me to replace them as a set but in my lackluster searching I haven't found any that I've been too excited about. So, where would you recommend I look for a set of clutch screws?

Thank you very much
Jon

m in sc

im going to assume the stepped washer... you are working on a 73? (351-*** serial no)

thats an early unit, (or from an r5) that goes in the input shaft 1st. stepped down part towards motor (bearing)

as far as the cush drive, if there's excessive play, you can replace the cush rubbers and re-rivet.

https://www.economycycle.com/shop/yamaha-rz-350/engine-related-yamaha-rz-350/clutch-yamaha-rz-350/yamaha-rd-rz-clutch-cush-drive-by-hinson/

IR8D8R

There were threads some time back about replacing the entire clutch basket with a Banshee aftermarket billet unit. Several guys had done this. 

I was remembering that Ian used one on his 400. Chuck's comment about play was that they are all like that after 45+ years. Mine has some slight play but he didn't seem to care. Described replacing the rivets with nuts and bolts.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/282584662669? This the one Ian used. Comes complete with cush rubbers. Will it fit a 73 RD350?

IR8D8R

Striker1423

Ir8d8r, same one I used as well. The whole job took around 30 minutes. That and the FZR plates, and spring upgrade from EC.

teazer

And that billet clutch could be built with a set of straight cut primary gears too.

Just sayin'    :whistle:

m in sc

will need a few extra steels for that but hell yeah thats always an option as well.

2 Stroke Jamoke

I used that clutch basket in my 400 and my yammagamma, worked well and no worries about breaking the basket. My rz engine broke the cast one

Striker1423

It's been a stellar basket. Absolutely takes abuse and still looks good doing it haha.

Guygrrr

Quality advice! Thank you.

Mark, it is a '73.

And fwiw, I found these on Yambits that I like the look of.

https://yambits.co.uk/rd350-clutch-spring-bolt-kit-p-69638.html

Jon

m in sc

nice. I have loads of stock clutch parts so i'll never need those but thats a good find.  however, those are for the pressure plate. (if you didnt know).

Pravin

Quote from: Guygrrr on December 19, 2022, 02:41:37 PM
Greetings lads. I'm in the process of reassembling an RD350 engine. I'm at the point of installing the clutch and I have a few questions, if I may.

I noticed that the outer clutch basket has quite a bit of play re. the cush assembly. The basket will rotate freely of the drive gear, with maybe 30* of rotation. My experience is not with RDs but I'm of the opinion that any play is excessive. Could anyone shed some light on that for me? Is this fine/ normal or is it worn out like I think it is?

Second, to my embarrassment I found a stepped thrust washer that I'm not exactly sure the placement of. Is it between the basket and the case, or the between the 2 baskets? And can you enlighten me which way the step side faces?

And finally, in disassembling the engine I was force to drill the head off one of the clutch bolts. I think it would be prudent of me to replace them as a set but in my lackluster searching I haven't found any that I've been too excited about. So, where would you recommend I look for a set of clutch screws?

Thank you very much
Jon

For the clutch basket play , remove the rivets using a flap dic and grinder .. and open the basket you will find all the rubbers are crushed and only 3 rubbers are intact which are not at the thrust side I mean the power side ...

Replace the rubbers 8 of them and also the small 4 rubbers which are 8mm holding the metal plate away rubbing from basket

Recently we did this exercise for 4 bikes here and the results are awsm !!

Also you may want to replace the big Oring between gear and backet which kind of expands over the year  adding the play ...

Make sure there is a minimum 2 ~3 mm play in the basket once you replace the rubbers , don't lock the basket with zero gap

Cheers ,

Pravin