Deals Gap Parking lot triage, looking at sunroofed #2:

This year:  May 5-12th.  25th year!
(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

suzuki specific spline shifter: modern?

Started by m in sc, January 17, 2023, 11:45:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

m in sc

anyone have a lead on a more modern, preferably aluminum shifter that fits the old suzuki shifter spline ? these are the course ones. (pretty sure the gt750 takes the same spline). I would be fine with cutting and modifying one but prefer an aluminum one of possible. thanks.  :help:

Vintagetz

I think Suzuki is like Yamaha, they have used that slightly courser spline for years.  I use GSXR rear sets on my RD race bike, I have to change the the shift shaft arm to a Yamaha spline.  Look for a "Suzuki" shifter and see if if fits. 

m in sc

i have, its application cuts off pretty early on most for what is referred to as the '11mm spline'. its noteably different than anything ive seen on a yamaha or a kawasaki, and i own 2 of those from 1967.

this is a suzuki spline i was talking about.

m in sc

worst case i guess is i can always cut off the suzuki end on the shift shaft and tig on a more common 'fine spline' one that yamaha, honda etc now uses.

teazer

I used a Busa shift arm on a GT750 IIRC to create a set of rearsets, so I would guess that any model Suzuki with the sort of lever you are looking for would work.

A GSXR or GS lever might work or look at an RM off road model.

rodneya

If the shaft is 11mm with about 21 splines (hard to see those little buggers on my engine) then any late 70's early 80's GS 750 shifter will fit. They come in steel or aluminum, but Im not sure if the alu ones could be welded if needed to be modified.
The 1100's and GSXR had shift linkage setups.

m in sc

i think you're right, the Hayabusa linkage looks like it has the correct spline, i could weld onto that knuckle.. where can you find full aluminum shift levers w the splines in aluminum though?

m in sc

i have one of those, new, from ebay. doesnt fit the spline. but, the shape is good. I'll get it sorted.

sav0r

Mill a steel spline section into like a square OD or something then press/shrink fit it into an aluminum arm. It would probably be the best of both worlds. Some planning obviously would be required.
www.chrislivengood.net - for my projects and musings.

m in sc

local shop has a blown up gsxr1300 motor, guys going to sell me the linkage arm for cheap. the splines should be right, then i'll tig it onto the tusk lever i bought. I need the lever to be the sacrificial part.