Deals Gap Parking lot triage, looking at sunroofed #2:

This year:  May 5-12th.  25th year!
(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

RD fork disassembly

Started by JBeasty, January 21, 2023, 09:33:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JBeasty

I'm having a hard time getting the damper rod out of my forks. The rod just spins when I try to loosen the bottom allen bolt. I read in the Haynes manual you can make a tool to shove down there to wedge against one of the flat surfaces to hold it in place. I read elsewhere you can force a broom handle or dowel down in there to hold it in place, and then hit the bolt with an impact driver. Is there a better way that I'm not aware of? Thanks in advance for any input.
1977 RD400

Kawtriplefreak

I use a butterfly impact. Zips them right out.

kpke

Cut the L off of an allen wrench. "Adapt" it to an impact gun. Tap the trigger a couple of times. It will be out very quickly.
https://www.youtube.com/c/KensGarage1
Hord of RZ350's
RZV500 R6 Suspension and Bodywork
R1 LE #158

m in sc

put the spring back in, and the cap. put pressure on the fork leg and use an impact, or butterfly impact,  to get it out.

I bought a set of these last year, they have been very good. not ball nose so you can really lay into them. good for allen bolts on cases as well.

https://www.amazon.com/Neiko-10072A-Drive-Extra-Socket/dp/B08JXRZ6J5/ref=sr_1_6?crid=3NXIF97JAO3DE&keywords=allen%2Bkey%2Bsockets%2Blong&qid=1674398113&sprefix=allen%2Bkey%2Bsockets%2Blong%2Caps%2C90&sr=8-6&th=1

amazon isn't my normal go-to on tools, but these have been great.

Brad-Man

I have used a Gator Grip socket with long extensions to good effect...
Toys don't make the man - Man makes the toys.
1974 RD350
1975 RD350/400 project
1985 BMW K100RS

Kawtriplefreak

I should have been more detailed in my 1st reply. Butterfly impact with a suitable Allen head socket.

AAAltered

I bought a "long reach" flat blade screwdriver at Chinese Freight.  Ground the tip a bit and it makes a good wedge to hold the rod, inserted down from the top of the tube.

1971 R5
1976 RD200
2022 Moto Guzzi V7 850 Special

bitzz

Too late now, but NEXT time, loosen all the fasteners BEFORE the forks come off the bike. That way the spring holds the damper rod in place and the top triple holds the fork to remove the cap.

JBeasty

Thanks for all the suggestions everybody! It turns out I had everything I needed; Impact wrench and correct size impact allen socket just long enough. I wedged a broom handle in there to try first, with the end cut at an angle - and it zipped right out (like you all said). Probably could have skipped the broom handle.
1977 RD400

Hawaii-Mike

Yup that will do it.

I tried Gator Grips in the past and sometimes the socket was too big to fit in the fork tube.