(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

The Thing That Should Not Be - FZR400/600 Hybrid

Started by The Red Scourge, April 01, 2023, 05:56:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Red Scourge

So this is the continuation of this thread here:

https://www.2strokeworld.net/forum/index.php?topic=4472.0

The original thread wasn't meant to be a build thread.  I like to name my builds something fun.  I knew this bike was cursed, but today I began to truly understand the cosmic horror that awaits me in the shop.  It's fun to find random tools still connected to the bike.  Like the suddenly vanished while working on it.
'76 Yamaha RD400C
'71 Kawasaki G3SS
'88 Honda CBR400RR
'90 Yamaha FZR400/600 hybrid

The Red Scourge

So I decided to crack the stator cover to see if, by some miracle, the engine would turn over.  Oh boy.  Just oh boy.  It's like this thing sat at the bottom of the ocean for some time.

"Drain you of your sanity
Face the thing that should not be"

'76 Yamaha RD400C
'71 Kawasaki G3SS
'88 Honda CBR400RR

SoCal250

75 Yamaha RD125B   75 Yamaha RD125B (project)
75 Yamaha RD250B   75 Yamaha RD200B (project)
73 Yamaha RD350     77 Yamaha RD400D   79 Yamaha RD400F  
91 Yamaha TZR250R  89 Yamaha FZR400   05 Yamaha FZ6   
05 Yamaha XT225TC  82 Honda MB5  02 Aprilia RS250 Cup (sold)

m in sc

The Red Scourge

Quote from: m in sc on April 02, 2023, 10:24:07 AM
time to stuff a banshee motor in it.  :devil:

That may be a possibility if this project is slow-rolled.  I was thinking if the 600 engine ran, I'd use that for a while.  Right now I'm going to tear it down and see what's useable.  FZR600 parts are easy to come by and relatively cheap.  My budget for project-related stuff is pretty much nothing right now.  At this point I think I'm going to tear it apart and enjoy the carnage.
'76 Yamaha RD400C
'71 Kawasaki G3SS
'88 Honda CBR400RR

85RZwade

Definitely a Metallica moment. Good luck with that!
2nd vote for a Banshee transplant  :Clown:
I post waayyy too much

m in sc

i get it, great project if you can get that sunken boat anchor to run again.   :gentleman: :burnout:

The Red Scourge

So I pulled the engine last night.  I dumped some Marvel Mystery Oil down the cylinders.  I was surprised to find I could get the crank to turn about a quarter turn with a breaker bar on it.  The valvetrain looks pretty clean.  Some of the cam lobes show some wear, but it doesn't appear too bad at first glance.  I didn't expect to find anything too awful in there, but it's still nice to find it clean.
'76 Yamaha RD400C
'71 Kawasaki G3SS
'88 Honda CBR400RR

The Red Scourge

Boat anchor update:. It's bad!  There's a bunch of ...something that's turned a rust color in the cylinders.  If I had to guess it was dirt. Cylinders two and three have a lot of scale on the walls which is what was preventing the engine from turning over all the way. I had to stop for the day at this point, so wasn't able to inspect any further. Once I get everything cleaned off I'll have a better idea of what I can actually use. There's a decent chance that the scale is some foreign debris that rusted on over the years and I can just hone the cylinders and re-ring it. That's perhaps a bit optimistic, but we shall see. It does seem like most of the rust is contained in the cylinders and didn't get down into the crank. The cam towers and cam journals definitely had some scoring though. I'll have to track down an fzr 600 owners manual and see if any of that's usable.
'76 Yamaha RD400C
'71 Kawasaki G3SS
'88 Honda CBR400RR

m in sc

yikes

actually, really not -that- bad as long as the liners aren't pitted too deep.