Deals Gap Parking lot triage, looking at sunroofed #2:

This year:  May 5-12th.  25th year!
(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

Frame painting

Started by Rgvnfla, April 11, 2023, 05:53:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rgvnfla

This might not be for turning wrenches although I did have to strip the frame but here goes. Has anyone had any luck speeding up pj1 gloss black epoxy
with heat ? I have a powder coating oven that I can use to speed up the process just wondering if anyone else has tried it and if so what times and temperatures they used for best result.
Thanks in advance

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kpke

Why paint? Have you considered powder coating the frame?

https://www.youtube.com/c/KensGarage1
Hord of RZ350's
RZV500 R6 Suspension and Bodywork
R1 LE #158

m in sc

pj1 reacts well to light heat to cure, most paints do actually.   :twocents:

Rgvnfla

Not a   big fan of powder coating frames, once it's chipped, it's chipped.
I do like doing wheels though, did my RGV that way and it already had a polished frame. I'm going to try powder coating oven on low heat after pj1 epoxy black. Thanks for the replies

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JBeasty

In my mind, powder coat is more resistant to chipping. If it does chip, you can touch it up with whatever paint you have that's a good match.
1977 RD400

BlueR32

I've had a few frames powder coated in the past and no doubt it's a great finish. However in my experience powder coating is way more expensive than paint. Also nothing came out of the factory powder coated so in retrospect I don't really see the value-add. I'm open to being convinced though.

1976RD400C

When I bought some PJ1 at the local shop the owner told me to "sweat" the bare metal frame before painting. Take a propane torch and heat it up, clean and wipe it down, let it cool to a good temp, and then prime and paint it. I haven't tried it but it sound good.  :umm:
'76 RD400 green  '76 RD400 red   '84 RZ350

pidjones

I just prime with an etching primer, let that cure for at least a day, then spray with Rustoleum Appliance Epoxy (not a true 2 part epoxy). A couple weeks cure and it is fairly gas proof. All rattle-can. Touch up chips with model car paint.
"Love 'em all.... Let GOD sort 'em out!"

kramdua

my frame is powder coated and i wish it wasn't. it's a great shiny finish but it seems like every time you tighten a bolt to the frame such as the engine mounts the coating chips or cracks. i had to go back and touch up the chips with a brush. just my 2 cents.
8 year absent.
back in action.
virginia.

soonerbillz

I have used Atwoods industrial implement enamel with good results. Tough stuff after a good 2 week cure time. handles fuel well and can take a hit without chipping.
FWIW.