(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

690SMCR!!!

Started by pdxjim, April 21, 2023, 08:31:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pdxjim

I did it!

I finally have a badass modern bike.

Wasting time on 2T forums since the dawn of the internet. '89 TDR250, '13 300xcw, '19 690smcr, '56 Porsche 356A

85RZwade

Let us all say a prayer for Jim's license
I post waayyy too much

pdxjim

Quote from: 85RZwade on April 22, 2023, 10:39:52 AM
Let us all say a prayer for Jim's license

It's true.

Got paid and waved goodbye to the LC as it drove away in a trailer bound for Tampa, FL.

Less than 24hrs later I was at Gray Area KTM 2hrs south of Portland in Eugene OR loading up the SMCR.

It's 2019 with less than 900mi on the ODO.  It's got an Arrow slip on, fancy mirrors and signals, weighs less and makes more power than the LC, and left me a few hundred bucks in my account for a Power Commander.

I've never had such a nice motorcycle, ever.
Wasting time on 2T forums since the dawn of the internet. '89 TDR250, '13 300xcw, '19 690smcr, '56 Porsche 356A

SoCal250

Wow, that's nice! :bacon: Congrats Jim
75 Yamaha RD125B   75 Yamaha RD125B (project)
75 Yamaha RD250B   75 Yamaha RD200B (project)
73 Yamaha RD350     77 Yamaha RD400D   79 Yamaha RD400F  
91 Yamaha TZR250R  89 Yamaha FZR400   05 Yamaha FZ6   
05 Yamaha XT225TC  82 Honda MB5  02 Aprilia RS250 Cup (sold)

dgorms

rz,r5,ds7,srx,fzr400rr,vfr,cl77,s90, F-7,CL 77, CA-77,ad infinitum

m in sc

very nice! ive had a few new bikes, nothing quite like it. Good call on that one as well.   :toot:

pdxjim

Thx all.

Been buying a few bits: Power Commander 5, Rottweiler fueling dongle/O2 sensor delete, DNA intake, etc.  Unlike an old 2T, with a modern EFI 4T you spend a bunch of money and maybe see a 10% increase in power.

Now I gotta find an appropriate PC5 map, or book time at the dyno tune guy down the street.

It's a new world.

m in sc

is the 5 still available? better make sure, they discontinued it for most bikes because DJ got in trouble with the federal government. if you get a 6, prepare for some headaches. took me 4 mos to get the one for my cb1100 right.

and, fwiw, i ordered a 5 and got a 6. it was a whole fucking debacle. Good luck.

pdxjim

Quote from: m in sc on April 24, 2023, 12:59:18 PM
is the 5 still available? better make sure, they discontinued it for most bikes because DJ got in trouble with the federal government. if you get a 6, prepare for some headaches. took me 4 mos to get the one for my cb1100 right.

and, fwiw, i ordered a 5 and got a 6. it was a whole fucking debacle. Good luck.

I found a PC5 for $300 shipped compared to $480 for the PC6. 

As far as I can tell, the only diff 'tween the 5 and 6 is the range of adjustment.  Pro Dynojet tuners can override it if needed. 

I found an off the shelf tune on dynojet.com that looks like it may be close (different brand of slipon, and complete airbox delete), so I'll prob try that one to start then take it to the guy down the street to fine tune on his dyno.  Or maybe he has one saved that fits my setup?  Gonna check in with him later this week.

m in sc

I can 100% tell you that that is absolute fucking bullshit despite the claims. the firmware is different. I have 6 or 7 different versions DJ sent me until they got it right. 

if you can get your hands on the 5, get it. 

otherwise, be prepared for this kind of garbage.

RDryan

Quote from: pdxjim on April 24, 2023, 01:05:30 PM
Quote from: m in sc on April 24, 2023, 12:59:18 PM

I found a PC5 for $300 shipped compared to $480 for the PC6. 

As far as I can tell, the only diff 'tween the 5 and 6 is the range of adjustment.  Pro Dynojet tuners can override it if needed. 

I found an off the shelf tune on dynojet.com that looks like it may be close (different brand of slipon, and complete airbox delete), so I'll prob try that one to start then take it to the guy down the street to fine tune on his dyno.  Or maybe he has one saved that fits my setup?  Gonna check in with him later this week.

Did you look into Rottweiler Performance?...those guys seem to be the go to for KTM streetbikes.

pdxjim

Quote from: RDryan on April 25, 2023, 04:44:21 PM

Did you look into Rottweiler Performance?...those guys seem to be the go to for KTM streetbikes.

Yup.  They sell the PC6 with their tune for your setup for $480

I went by my local dyno guy's shop today. He quoted me around $400 to do a custom map on his dyno.  He said he does lots of "super single" roadrace 690s and 690/701 enduros.

More than I wanted to spend, but at least I know it'll be perfect.

RDryan

Quote from: pdxjim on April 25, 2023, 07:47:48 PM
Quote from: RDryan on April 25, 2023, 04:44:21 PM

Yup.  They sell the PC6 with their tune for your setup for $480

I went by my local dyno guy's shop today. He quoted me around $400 to do a custom map on his dyno.  He said he does lots of "super single" roadrace 690s and 690/701 enduros.

More than I wanted to spend, but at least I know it'll be perfect.

That sounds like a deal, I mean it's not cheap but a savings of 80$ and plus you get genuine tuning time on the dyno with a trained experienced tech has to be the better deal. You can look at this way and I imagine it's been going "this way" for the whole deal is that with these newer bikes all the modern tech they have being fuel injected with the latest in computer integrated software it's a one and done deal. No messing with carbs.  :whistle:

m in sc

id recommend an auto tune module, but that's just me. one tune does not fit all situations IMHO. I ran onto that w the ducati, had a static map aftermarket ecm and would get weird especially on colder days.

pdxjim

Ok!  Got all the afetrmarket stuff bolted on and gave it over to the dyno guy for a few days.  Here are the results:

... and stock as reporded by Cycle World back in 2019:

Making a bit dissapointing 7hp more peak power, but 10+ more midrange hp and a ton more torque in the midrange where I need it. This is with an open filter in the stock airbox, and most of the big peak hp bikes are running a velocity stack type filter on the throttle body and making the same or less midrange numbers.

Still, despite the numbers, power delivery feels a bit soft compared to stock with the "supermoto map" engaged.

I'm gonna put a few more miles on it before I dig into the PC5 and see if my dyno guy added any more advance besides the 2-4* the PC5 comes loaded with.  I know the mechanic that tunes my buddies 390 and 690 race bikes adds a lot of advance to squeeze power out of the motors.  I'll probably give him a call and pick his brain a bit too.

Anyway, this thing rips, but I hate thinking there's a bit more in there I'm missing out on. :devil:

... could be I'm just getting used to it.