Deals Gap Parking lot triage, looking at sunroofed #2:

This year:  May 5-12th.  25th year!
(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

RD400F fork problem

Started by car91r, November 01, 2023, 07:55:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

car91r

I am rebuilding a set of forks for my latest RD Daytona project. Dismantled and cleaned everything. Installed new fork tubes. After reassembly, noticed one leg would stick in the compressed position. Other leg fine, no sticking. Switched back to the old fork tube, same thing but not as bad. Noticed small ridge on bottoming cone as if it were hitting a sharp edge. Sanded it off and tried again. Same thing. Have another set of the same forks, so I tried them. Same thing. One side sticking other side ok. If I remember correctly it was the right side. Strange, 2 sets of forks, 3 sets of tubes, all do the same thing on one side. Both sets of forks have the same nick in the bottoming cone. Is there a known problem with these forks or is this a strange coincidence? When I took apart the spare set, I noticed they had been modified. I will ask about that on another post.

m in sc

that bottom cone should have nothing to do with how they perform, that is odd. however, if you are just sliding the forks down with no oil or spring in them, it will likely never completely hit the bottom to be honest, i wouldn't  worry about it.   :twocents: