News:

Deals Gap Parking lot triage, looking at sunroofed #2:

This year:  May 5-12th.  25th year!
(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

Stuck cylinder, not stuck piston (help please)

Started by Stpemp, November 24, 2023, 07:51:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stpemp

Hi all,
I'm new to this forum and looking for help. A little history on my project,
My dad was the original owner of my 1972 R5 350. This is the bike I learned to ride on in the 70's. I acquired the bike in 2006, after it had been sitting in a storage trailer for about 10 years. I put new gas in the tank, borrowed a battery from a friend and kicked it over twice and to my surprise it started.I rode it up and down the street and put it in my garage until now. I finally acquired all the parts I need to do a complete engine rebuild which I've done many times on RD's over the years but not for the last 30 or so. The engine is free and has plenty of compression, now my problem; I started disassembly today and promptly ran into a problem. I got one cylinder off no problem, but the other cylinder won't budge off the studs. I'm really not worried about ruining the cylinder to get it off as it is scored pretty bad and already at the last oversize. I've used penetrating fluid on the studs all day, and tried using a hammer and wood to break it loose but to no avail. Does anyone know any tricks that I don't know. In the 80's and 90's I did top ends on my race bikes monthly, but I never had a cylinder that I couldn't get off,

HELP PLEASE,
Cheers.

Stpemp

Help needed, started to disassemble an RD engine today for a complete rebuild. The engine has been sitting for about 30 years and was started briefly in 2006 and put away until now.. engine is free but could not get one of the cylinders off. I think it's due to rust on the studs. The heads and one of the cylinders came off easily. I'm not worried about ruining the cylinder to get it off since it is badly scored, and already at the last oversize. Any ideas to get this cylinder off would be appreciated.

Thanks and Cheers to all.

m in sc

get a tap, maybe its a hlaf inch? tap the stud holes and run bolts down it should help push it off the case studs.

Stpemp

Great idea, I wouldn't have thought of that. I was going to split the cases with the one cylinder still on the studs and try to knock it from the bottom, but I like your idea better.
Thanks.

m in sc

to be honest, never tried it on an rd. kaw triple, yes. might be a different size but oyu get the idea. good luck with it. def plan on replacing the stds, they are available.