News:

Neat little oddball bike, zero info.

Main Menu

rear wheel assembly RD400C

Started by Membername, June 28, 2019, 03:58:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Membername

Getting ready to drop in the rear wheel bearings (RD400C), is this the correct assembly?  The parts fiche shows the collar that goes into the sprocket side bearing as being on the sprocket side of the bearing rather than on the spacer side, but my bike (one owner, my uncle) had the collar on the inside of the wheel next to the spacer.  I think the bike was prolly correct since that page of the parts fiche has several other errors, including showing the axle in the wrong direction.  Can anyone confirm that the picture is correct, including the position of the collar on the sprocket side bearing and the orientation of the spacer between the two bearings? 

Thanks,
Karen

Organicjedi

It can all go together one way. If I remember correctly, the diameter on the sprocket side ( drive side) bearing is bigger than the caliper side. The collar and spacer go on the side with the bigger diameter. Without that spacer, that bearing is going to be sloppy on the axle.

There are several errors in that diagram, another is the order in which the hardware goes on that bolts the caliper bracket to the wheel assembly. The caliper bracket is shown backward. The castle nut should go in the caliper side. Then the nut and large bolt that mounts the caliper bracket goes on under that. The large nut that actually bolts the bracket on faces outward to the right side of the bike.

Organicjedi

Here's a photo of how the caliper side should look.

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk

SUPERTUNE

Pic is correct. The pressed in spacer in the sprocket side bearing does face the inside.
C
RD machine work, boring, porting, cranks and engine building.

Chuck 'SUPERTUNE' Quenzler III
Team Scream Racing LLC
1920 Sherwood St. STE A
Clearwater, FL. 33765
cqsupertune@tampabay.rr.com

Membername

Dropped them in and presto!  It's looking more like a bike!

Organicjedi

SUPERTUNE

Keep going!! Your doing a real nice job...It's beautiful in '76 green.  :clap:

Chuck
RD machine work, boring, porting, cranks and engine building.

Chuck 'SUPERTUNE' Quenzler III
Team Scream Racing LLC
1920 Sherwood St. STE A
Clearwater, FL. 33765
cqsupertune@tampabay.rr.com