Deals Gap Parking lot triage, looking at sunroofed #2:

This year:  May 5-12th.  25th year!
(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

electronic ign for my 70 HS1

Started by m in sc, July 18, 2019, 11:47:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

m in sc

completely reversible, . ign pickups and rotor for vw beetle points replacement. (empi accu fire units) think total cost of parts like 80 bucks. the only modification i did was to tap an m4 hole where the pickup mounts, the lower adjuster hole captures the 'nub' on the back of the pickup which keeps it aligned. unlike an rd set of points, the point spivot does not attach to the plate so i could use the stocker without having to modify beyond the one hole each. I lathed the aluminum rotor shaft out of some 6061.  Note the rotor to hat mount. drilled a 1.4mm hole thru side when aligned, made aligning pin/clip with welding wire that has tension in hat like a big locking circlip. washer keeps it all in place. test ride: success, really runs good. still slow as hell. but not quite as slow. (60 max with tailwind). 

No, not going to make any . its easy to do, just get in there. you -could- use a points cam and washers to do it but the lathed aluminum is really the best way to get the air-gap correct.

[/img]

DesmoDrew

Gil Gallad

ignition on my 1965 suzuki t10. originally for a fiat 126  8)
cheers, gil.

m in sc

nice gil. how did you secure the trigger rotor?

Gil Gallad

i didn't is the honest answer as the rotor is a good, tight push fit onto the 12mm bolt head. it's an m8 bolt, and the bolt head is 12mm across the flats. i've red lined several different bikes and never had one fall off. i did get a bit paranoid about it once, so i drilled and tapped an m4 hole in the centre of the bolt head and put a stainless - non magnetic - penny washer on, held on by an m4 allen bolt. but as i say, i've never had one fly off yet  :haw:
cheers, gil.

m in sc

quocle603

Currently have that set up ready for the T500. Thanks Mark and Gil for your help. :)
Do not underestimate the power of a two-stroke.

1975 Yamaha RD350 (modified), 1973 Yamaha RD350 (stock), 1971 Suzuki T500, 1981 Yamaha XS650 HS2, 1982 Honda MB5, 1980 Puch Maxi, 1979 Puch Magnum, 1993 Tomos Bullet, 2003 Malaguti Firefox F15 LC