Deals Gap Parking lot triage, looking at sunroofed #2:

This year:  May 5-12th.  25th year!
(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

Suzuki 1975 GT 750 LeMans

Started by Skyguyz, August 17, 2019, 07:01:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Skyguyz

So, I was ready to seal the two main case halves and doing an inspection of the components and I noticed the oil pump drive gear worn and about to fail. Grrrr! Oh well. I found a really good used one on flea bay for about 19 quid.  A really good price. Will be here soon. I got back some bits from the polishers and the wheels from the chrome shop. They all look first class. I went to my local big motorcycle shop and explained the fresh chrome OEM rims that needed special attention. I have had these guys do many tire mounting and never an issue. Well, you guessed it. They scratched the rear wheel! So, it's off with the new spokes, back to the queue at the chrome shop. Unbelievable!

Doing some more in-hose re-zincing and such. More parts coming from Japan, Canada and England. More to come.

Old drive gear                                                           

New/used drive gear

Before re-zinc                                                             

After

Polished aluminum bits

Chromed wheels with new bearings & spokes

Rear wheel with scratch from tire mounting machine.

teazer

That polish is insanely good.

BTW, check the matching kickstarter gear.  It's most unusual to see wear on that pump shaft. 

Skyguyz

I had to wait on the oil pump drive gear as well as the shim that goes with it. The PO left out some critical things in this engine and it amazes me what people think will work when rebuilding the things. No worries, press on, keep calm. The case halves went together without a hitch. All bolts re-zinced and torqued up, (Yes I included the little green "O"ring for the water system.) All the kick start bits are in and works perfect. All new seals throughout.  The clutch went in with new springs because the old ones were under spec. New clutch plates as well. Some people say to soak the fiber clutch disks overnight in oil before mounting them. I have never done this and never had a problem in the past. I always motor the engine and use assembly lube in other areas before starting it up for the first time. Got the oil lines in and primed as well. Starter clutch is on and just waiting on OEM lock washer to nip it up. I had to buy the plastic gear from Japan. All the used ones had cracks like the one I took out of my engine. It will be here when it gets here. Rebuilt, re-zinced, repainted the seat lock and water tank cover hinge as well. Did some clean-up on the front brake line holders as well.

Lots more to come.

Sky

New springs:

Old springs:

Skyguyz

Just doing some more work:

Oli tank. What a mess!

done

Replacing the electrical fasteners. The PO had some twisted wire around a 20 amp blade fuse and scotch tape!

Side cases fitted with new decals and logos

Just waiting on the barrels and head to get back and the engine is done

Skyguyz

well its at a point where the bike looks somewhat like a bike, two wheels, etc. The forks have all new seals, etc, the front brakes have all new rebuild bits, the wheels have all new bearings and spokes. New shoes for the rear brake, all new fasteners for the center stand, all new chrome fenders, new trued and skimmed discs up front. There is more I am sure but the wiring is next? The parts vendor sent me the wrong bendy washers for the rear hub, have to wait for them. ordered new emblems for the calipers, still waiting on the cylinders.

Curios note. I posted a while back the internal oil pump gear had some serious half moon stress marks on the teeth. I replaced that and the worm gear on the kick start shaft and thinking the oil pump must have too much resistance. Well I had turned the oil pump shaft with a tiny Philips head screwdriver and it seemed to turn but was difficult. I set it aside and got back to it the other day and it would not turn. Opened it up and found bits of metal inside. To the trash bin it went. (*I never installed it on my engine.) I found a perfectly good used one on Ebay and tested it and it works fine. I can't imagine the horror if I would have tried to stay with the first suspect pump.

More to come,

Sky

Getting the old brake caliper piston out:m "Pop goes the weasel!" :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FfeRA4f_cT0&feature=youtu.be

Rear axle before:

After sanding, re-zinc, polish:

paul1478

I cannot help but comment. unbelievable work. It is going to look new inside and out.
76 Team Scream RD400
1993 FJ1200
2006 Goldwing
2022 Ducati V2 Panigale

Skyguyz

*Pix with tank, seat and side covers on is mock-up only.

The engine is in and I've got to say it was not easy but most of use have been through that and can relate. The good news is that after a rough hook-up of the electrical system, there is good spark to all 3 cylinders. The break-in oil is in and no leaks. The kick starter is on and it kicks through with ease. Rear chain is on as well as the chain guard. The Delkavic exhaust system is in place after a bit of fiddle this and that and looks good. I tried to use the OEM pipes but the right outside one is damaged and so far two different metal shops say it cannot be fixed. I will still try to get it fixed proper. The ones on Ebay are all of not reusable quality but for now, the Delkavics will do.

The carbs as well as the water system get hooked up; next, (*Throttle cable on first!) The clocks are being done by myself and should be done soon. It is a very "Sanitary construction."

I have spark!!!

Sky

m in sc

Brad-Man

Toys don't make the man - Man makes the toys.
1974 RD350
1975 RD350/400 project
1985 BMW K100RS

Organicjedi

mnein

Czakky

Greaser Greg

Every day above ground is a good one.
'71 R5B "Rusty"  '71 R5B "Decaf"   '99 KZ 250
'97 XL1200S "The Vibrator"   '08 XL1200N  "Greenie" (totalled)
'78 CB750F "The Skunk"   '74 CB550 "Blackie"    '78 Honda Hobbit

Old Brit

Looking the absolute Dogs Sir  :clap:

Kawtriplefreak