Main Menu

Suzuki 1975 GT 750 LeMans

Started by Skyguyz, August 17, 2019, 07:01:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Skyguyz

*This is a mirror of the posts on the UK kettle website

Sky's restoration begins...
by Skyguyz » Fri Jul 05, 2019 8:57 pm

With a wealth of information provided by the forum members here I have started down the GT750 rabbit hole of no return. The carbs are in Bazs's very capable hands, (All the way from Las Vegas, USA) and the crank is at Bill Bune's machine shop, (Well know in the states for GT750 crank & machine work.) The engine cases have been cleaned and are the way soon to "Restocycle" here in Tucson AZ USA. These guys are the best at vapor blasting and vintage Japanese motorcycle restoration. Check them out! : https://www.restocycle.com/japanese-mot ... estoration

The new Wiseco piston set has been ordered and the cylinder and heads will be bored, honed and chamfered and will be tuned to OEM compression ratio by the associate machine shop of Restocycle. I have one of Baz's DVD with more to come as help.

The parts list is long and many. I am compiling many vendors worldwide to complete this project. I have nothing but time to do this. This will as they say "Take twice as long and cost 3 times as much as you estimate". When you undertaker such a project you have to realize your "limits of expertise." This is where you guys come in. I will be asking a few noob questions and already you have provide much help. Thanks. Lets get this thing going and may the Motorcycle Gods have pity on my poor soul.  :lol:

Skyguyz

The engine cases are back from vapor blasting and they look great! This is a turning point for the restoration. The frame and many other bits are at the powder coat shop and the crank with new seals and one new bearing will be here next week. I have started the process of cataloging the many parts that are coming my way. Also the re-zincing process is going good but slow.

The cases:

Skyguyz

Before the

1- de-greasing in the parts washer

2- Acid bath

3- Buff on brass wire wheel

4- Re-zincing process.

After:

Skyguyz

First of many batches of bit. *Many more to come.

I had the powder coating done on all the bits that need it. Yes, paint is original but the powder coat will last longer. I am using all SGP (Suzuki Genuine Parts) from Paratzilla https://www.partzilla.com here in the states. It has a good supply of OEM / SGP and they keep arriving by the box full. The crank should be back any day now. The cylinders I opted to not have the off center bored ones repaired, (Too bad, they were vapor blasted and that reveled the off center bore.) I have procured a healthy set of cylinders , head and new pistons that were all machined by a vintage motorcycle shop here in the states. I will have them this week. Work progresses at a steady pace and the "Build" portion is underway. Slow and steady wins the race!

Sky

Before any media blasting:
*Typical all over

Skyguyz

So, the cases have been gone over tip to tail with many blow jobs for FOD. They are clean, clean, clean. The new water pump went in and the locating screw is set. It just needed a slight tap with a deep socket to set it in place. New bearing and such, so fine. I was going to drill a hole in the shaft on the outside portion of the case if I needed to remove it without splitting the cases. But, I just couldn't do it to a brand new pump. It was oiled before it went in and the impeller vs case clearance checked before the waterproof sealant and gasket went on. I could have used the old bolts but the were in such bad shape I opted for new Allen bolts torqued to 9 LBS. The aluminum water case pump cover was cleaned inside and out and the old gasket gunk gone and a perfect dead flat surface for the install.

The crank went in with our a hitch. All the bearings set in the pins, the "C" locater in and all new seals aligned. Everything triple checked for proper install. The gear change and transmission are next. Stay tuned.

Sky

Skyguyz

Front discs, media blasted, high temp painted, sent to TrueDisc https://truedisk.net

for resurfacing....Done

Wheels and hubs sent to Restocycles for complete rework. https://www.restocycle.com/japanese-mot ... estoration

Data plate.....Done.

Muffler bosses, reamed.....Done.

Wire harness, (New) mostly marked.

Triple clamp ball bearing races, extra powder coat removed.

Swing arm; reamed to correctness.

Water plug on front; acid washed, wire wheeled, zinc plated....Done.

Finished all head bolts and washers, found new O rings....Done.

Ordered aftermarket shocks, (GT550, GT750 TEC short cover type Chrome shocks)...Done.

SRIS valves cleaned and 2 of three work, (Soaking sticky one in penetrating oil.). Done.

Now the exhaust quandary. The pipes are OEM and the outside right has two major dents from the PO. I took the pipe to a metal fabricator today and he said he would have to split the seam, fix the dents, etc. Cost would be a lot, (800-1000 USD. 675-852 quid.) The pipes would all have to be re-chromed and new hardware. All in it would cost more than getting a new Delkevic complete system, ($1350 USD / 1100 quid.)
https://delkevic.com/full-chrome-exhaus ... 1975-1977/

The cost of restoring the OEM pipes would be almost double that. Using the method of using an ebay blow out tool would not completely fix the 2 large dents. Opinions, advice?

Ebay device:

So those metal tabs that are part of the frame came with worn out rubber sleeves and had to be removed prior to powder coating. Top tip: Use shrink tubing to replace rubber sleeve thingy:

Sent the 2nd set of jugs and head for vapor blasting. Came back spotless! The brightwork has been sent out for re-chroming, (24 pc.) the side cases are being polished. Just getting the last of my parts in. many, many orders for SGP from Partzillia. Keeping it as close to OEM as possible. Fettling with some of the wiring switches, cleaning and re-sleaving with new high gloss black PVC fro Vintage connections, http://www.vintageconnections.com

Got the discs sprayed black in center and now they are back from Truedisc LLC, https://truedisk.net

Media blasted and painted some switches and the airbox.

Fitted the gear selector, all parts for the swing arm go in tomorrow, (Hopefully.) Using the ceramic bushings.

Fettling with all sorts of parts.

More to come...

Dig the new zerc fitting:

Skyguyz

So the cleaning and refurb of some electrical components have been done. The new high gloss PVC sleeving is a great product and OEM as well. Patience is key here.

Czakky

Wow! Well done.

As far as the exhaust goes... Why not just throw an aftermarket set of pipes on for now and hold out for a restorable set on eBay, etc...?
This coming from a guy who know next to nothing about these glorious machines.

Skyguyz

I'll prolly have to do that except a descent set costs $1500.

8)

edgefinder

All my bikes have battle scars so I'd say clean up the pipes and run em. They don't look rusty. Every time I have to have a part I wish I'd waited. I like to let fate do the work. What you've done so far that bikes gonna attract a lot of attention. Won't be long someone will say I know where a pipe is to finish it off

Skyguyz

Tranny & swing arm & shocks are all in...

m in sc

wow that looks great. NICE detail.  :cheerleader:

Skyguyz

Seat done. The wrinkles will disappear after it cools from steaming. The hardest part was the plastic-chrome trim. The pan was in good condition and the media blasting & powder coating made it better than new.

So much more to go... :)

Steamer,
(yes, that is my Norton in the house.)

*All re-zincing done in-house

rd400greenhorn

This is Looking very Nice indeed  :clap:

Skyguyz

I installed the battery box with all new fittings, rubber mounts and pad, etc. Looks great. I polished the stainless steel rear grab bar and got the gas tank and side covers back from paint. The OEM emblems will have to be redone before I mount them back open the tank. Any suggestions to the correct fasteners for the emblems?

The wheels will be back from the chrome shop with new spokes this Wednesday as well as all the side cases and bits from the polish shop. The rest of the chrome to follow. The engine is ready to have the case halves joined but I am waiting on a transmission oil plate from flea bay. I did break down and bought the Delkevic pipes as one of my OEM pipes was too far gone to repair and the selection on flea bay is dismal as well. More to come.

Sky