News:

Mat Oxley 1986 IOM TT

click above to read more about Mat.

Main Menu

2019 Ice dent removal challenge successful

Started by Kawtriplefreak, February 10, 2019, 08:58:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kawtriplefreak

My FPP Chambers had a couple dents and a partially mashed header pipe. Predicted low temp that night was 6 Deg F. It took just over a gallon of water to fill each pipe to the perforated baffle tubes. I taped off the perforated tubes so I could fill them and then pulled the tape off. Three hours later the dent in the belly of the RH chamber was gone and the mashed header pipe while not perfect is way better.

Kawtriplefreak

The high temp that day was 69 degrees. I took advantage of the break from winter and prepped the FPPs for the application of Wal-Mart's best Rustoleum high- temp satin bbq paint. They turned out pretty good.

retaRD

Love it!

Have you tried this with a gas tank?

Kawtriplefreak

Years ago I did it with a HD shovel head tank. You have to be very careful with gas tanks as they are thin and they will spread and not fit the mounts. You just have to monitor them closely..

Kawtriplefreak

Pipes re-installed. Packing courtesy of MP Iron Brady augmented with Lowe's finest aluminium insulation tape. Safety wire wrap will follow and then the cans go back on.

Oil Burner

SUPERTUNE

Too tight Tim, loosen up the tape or it will be loud!!  :thumbs:

Chuck
RD machine work, boring, porting, cranks and engine building.

Chuck 'SUPERTUNE' Quenzler III
Team Scream Racing LLC
1920 Sherwood St. STE A
Clearwater, FL. 33765
cqsupertune@tampabay.rr.com

Kawtriplefreak

What you are seeing is not the tape. The packing material the Cajun sent is some kind of fiberglass with silver backing. The tape is loosely applied. I cranked it up after the safety wiring and cans installation and it sounds good. I had the same stuff on it last year and it doesn't seem overly loud to me. But my hearing could be going too :umm: :umm:

m in sc

.. says the guy that ran stingers on his H2 for 2 years.  :dawg:

Kawtriplefreak

2strokesforever

I have heard of others doing this, never seen it first hand though.

Do you need to watch out for anything or just fill them up and let 'em freeze?
1963 YD3
1968 YG5t
1970 Rupp Scrambler
1972 LS2 100
1973 LT2
1975 RD250 x2
1975 RD 125
1975 DT400
1977 RD400 x2
1977 DT/RD
1978 DT400 x2
1980 Exciter 440
1983 CR60
1983 CR80
1991 TZR250R SP
1992 Vmax 750-4

And 1 4 stroke- 2014 Vmax 1700- tuned by Tim Nash

Kawtriplefreak

Yes you need to monitor them so you don't rupture the pipe. Once the dents pop out start thawing the pipes.

toffee

I have seen the ice trick done before, the only thing is that it is hard
to know how much to fill them and obviously hard to control the
freeze rate. You can indeed rupture the pipes if not monitored carefully.
I have done it successfully with air pressure.
"An object at rest stays at rest and an object in motion stays in motion..." - Newton's 1st law of Motion

Dvsrd

Quote from: toffee on February 21, 2019, 03:40:34 PM
I have done it successfully with air pressure.
In combination with careful heating of the dent area, using a welding torch, I guess?
I did that once on a pair of 80's vintage Allspeeds. They come out ok-ish, not perfect. From a safety perspective, it would be best to have a pressure regulator in the setup.....

Kawtriplefreak

That is why I do it with ice. Doing it with air and or a torch is dangerous.