click above to read more about Mat.

Main Menu

Hybrid Project - RD250 AC/F2

Started by toffee, February 20, 2019, 05:56:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

m in sc

toffee

Quote from: 85RZwade on March 19, 2020, 08:31:07 PM
Wonderful details and a great story; I can relate to much of it myself! You've taken some bold steps and I'm anxious to see more of your progress.

yes some bold steps, i could have probably taken some more straight forward steps ..... :umm:

Quote from: m in sc on March 20, 2020, 02:42:09 PM
such a weird build, love it.  :clap:

a weird build is right, probably wouldnt have been so weird with a less "hybrid" approach.

will post a small update soon
"An object at rest stays at rest and an object in motion stays in motion..." - Newton's 1st law of Motion

RDFL

Is odd but looking good, glad your making progress on it.

toffee

Thanks RDFL

This is something I have been looking to do since I finished all the
other engine mounts. The top rear bracket and spacer was too wide
so I cut the welded nuts off the existing mounting point and
placed the right side bracket on the left side of the mounting point,
also shortening the aluminium spacer.

Moving to the lower mounts which I was going to leave off, But I read
somewhere online that these engines want to twist while running so
I have had in mind to get these lower mounts sorted. I made the brackets
but need to have them welded to the frame.

"An object at rest stays at rest and an object in motion stays in motion..." - Newton's 1st law of Motion

NoRiders

Excellent outline and timeline. Weird builds, that make sense, rule IMO  8)

Reminiscent of my Suzonda project in many ways (listed on here), engine rebuild and mount fab, brakes, suspension....frame, carbs...the list, like yours, is endless.
I'm also looking to modify and adapt the RD350LC Microns to suit the GT200 engine in a Honda 400/4 frame. This project also started a good few years ago and spluttered into life, then withered and died for a while....but it's now fully watered and flourishing in our isolation climate :)

looking forward to checking in on your progress.....no backing out now buddy.

toffee

Thank you sir!

well I have done nothing on the project since the last post, the weather has been too good
to be stuck in the garage even though I have been home for the last 5 weeks  :umm:

I will pop over and visit the Suzonda project . . .

toffee

Everything disassembled today and frame gone to the welder.

The rear brackets for the engine mount and the shock mounts are to be welded in place
along with a crack in one of the tubes which happens a bit with these frames I believe.
Images below show where I have started grinding away at the crack to get a flush weld.

I also have attacked the seat and tank locks.
The helmet and seat lock doesnt have a key and is busted, Im not sure if I bother getting a replacement, the seat latch on both sides work which is good enough for now.

And also the tank lock is fully operational but needs a tidy, I might consider a pattern replacement.

NoRiders

It's the gazillion small jobs that consume hours of time....I emerge from the garage 3hours later.....behold, I cleaned this thing!
It's also very rewarding to fix a faulty thing too.

The seat hinge and lock were the only parts I cut off the 400 frame.

toffee

yes what seems like an hour is actually 3

so I got the frame back from the welders, first job before the final build
is to remove the unwanted tabs and brackets from the frame  before i
paint it.

Today i opened all the boxes to familiarise myself with what I have and
more importantly dont have, group shot ahead...

NoRiders

Final build.....I dream of the final build. Have fun  :celebrate:

toffee

its only taken 7 years, I have dreamt many times of this.

at the moment I am prepping the frame for paint, I have the unwanted tabs removed and frame sanded. This evening Im going to treat the rust spots before paint.

toffee

so the frame painting is under way, I have 5 coats of 2k signal black paint done, and I plan on a few more coats.

here are inages of the frame coated with some rust converter chemical called Oxirite, it neutralises the rust which can then be painted.

toffee

Painting finished, about 8 coats of 2K Satin Signal Black RAL9004

toffee

before the frame painting I built up the rolling chassis to chect the shock mounts
and the new swingarm spacers.

I thinking or either stripping and polishing the swingarm or repainting it gloss black?
ill be leaving the head, barrels and side casings vapour blast finished and black wheels.

here she is

toffee

I decided to polish the swingarm, It will contrast nicely againsh the satin black frame.

This swingarm was never intended to be polished, the finish is very uneven just like orange peel. Yamaha decided it would be best to have a "Matt" finish as a cost saving approach.

After approximately 8 hours over 2 days I have it ready for polishing. I started with a 3M scotch disc followed by 60, 80, 120, 240, 360 grit sanding discs, then 400 and 800 grit wet sand paper, (i have some 1200 wet and dry paper, I might give it the once over with that too)