News:

Mat Oxley 1986 IOM TT

click above to read more about Mat.

Main Menu

Johnny Cash Special - Suzonda 2smoker

Started by NoRiders, December 01, 2019, 03:16:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NoRiders

The 2mm aloominum sheet arrived so I had to bash it into shape pdq....came out nice I reckon....even allowing for my bench belt sander to fail mid job!!

Just got to layer and shape the 15mm yoga mat, doubling it up to 30mm would look the part and a quick trial sit and it should be ok for cafe hopping ;)

NoRiders

Seat's nearing completion.....shaped n smoothed the dual layer yoga mat using 60 grit by hand....my detail sander wouldn't work too well on it.

I was looking to get the front edge snug against the tank, but the rear tankmount sticks out 15mm, so an opening, like a mouth was needed. The double layer allowed me to open up a suitable gap using something to hold the form....and, while out on my daily exercise walk, I spotted a broken pair of ear defenders in my neighbour's rubble pile. Spotted the potential....shown here.

Liking the little hump..

So much smoothing and I'm happy with the overall shape...ready for the upholsterer to work his magic.

NoRiders

The tank is away for vapor blasting to remove the old paint and surface rust (hope it's just surface).

I'll hit the bare metal with a coat of this etch primer before repairing a few minor dents...then off to paint.

The Dzus fastener worked  ;D

So I now have a quick release seat unit, so access to the oil tank is easy.

Number plate arrived, size is good although digits are smaller than I expected. Also, don't remember ticking the 'border' box...but hey ho, it looks OK tbh.

Hoping in the yellow/black it'll tie in with the paint colour scheme. Just got to get used to it being stuck out like that......so much better without I reckon.

Upholsterer jacked up for this week sometime....using Williams F1 team blue suede as my trimmer does all their work. This is a swatch that was left over from a project....should be just the right shade of blue, that'll do for me.

m in sc

... off topic a bit.

Did you work for the Williams F1 team? Particularly pre 94?

85RZwade

I post waayyy too much

NoRiders

Quote from: m in sc on April 26, 2020, 08:08:53 AM
... off topic a bit.

Did you work for the Williams F1 team? Particularly pre 94?

Sadly, no.

They're based about 8miles away.....me and my partner had our first date at the conference centre, she was a theatre school principle and invited to a talk put on my the UK army about military familes....the F1 museum is interesting.
This is the topiary outside the reception.

m in sc

thats awesome.
I have a good friend, locally, that did for many years as a fabricator. that's why i asked.  His KZ650 is currently in my garage downstairs being put back together by us.

He actually taught me how to tig weld.   :science:

Back on topic: totally digging the project.  :metal: I love stuff like this.  :toot:

85RZwade

:agree: Colin, you've made so much progress in just a few weeks, and your bike is coming together very nicely. Almost a shame to cover that yoga mat!
I post waayyy too much

NoRiders

Quote from: m in sc on April 26, 2020, 06:54:58 PM
thats awesome.
I have a good friend, locally, that did for many years as a fabricator. that's why i asked.  His KZ650 is currently in my garage downstairs being put back together by us.

He actually taught me how to tig weld.   :science:

Back on topic: totally digging the project.  :metal: I love stuff like this.  :toot:

Are you local to Oxfordshire then? I'm in Abingdon.

I've found the enthusiasm to get stuck in...making the most of our splendid isolation. Tinkering as I await parts to arrive. Cheers  8)

NoRiders

Quote from: 85RZwade on April 26, 2020, 10:48:40 PM
:agree: Colin, you've made so much progress in just a few weeks, and your bike is coming together very nicely. Almost a shame to cover that yoga mat!

Thank you, yeah I feel like I've made good progress, still lots to do but having the tank blasted (I'll miss the red/black colouring though) and the seat trimmed feel like I'm seeing the end in sight....and yes, the yoga mat turned out OK as I did consider keeping it raw.....for a pure competition bike it'd work...just not too sure on the durability. Same for the alloy oil tank...encasing it as opposed to mounting it in full view......but it didn't make sense to over design it tbh.
Thanks for keeping interested :)

NoRiders

Seat pad is with the trimmer....sneak preview of the material.

Exhaust clamps arrived and did what I needed, to hold the spigot extension in place....it'll do for the initial fire up....I'll have it TIGd later.

Front brake is now loaded with pads and ready for a good bleeding....wish me luck.

The freshly vaporblasted tank has turned out well. No visible holes as the rust was surface. Giving it a coat of U-Pol Acid8 etch primer, filling the dents and getting it to my painter asap.

NoRiders

A job I was happy to have completed was making the alloy oil tank fit inside the Honda airfilter/battery/electrical housing....a cut n shut saw it slide into place, needs a slimmer battery which is available, and the electrical mounts are all still in place.

The sight glass work and I'll get a 12mm breather filter.

Trying to fashion a fork brace/fender guard mount out of the CBX mount I kept. It's working OK but I really wanted an alloy billet Micron fork brace.....we'll see.

Getting some done :)

NoRiders

Progress.

The tank now has a coat is etch primer, U-Pol Acid8......came out nice.....ready for the P38 repairs.

Fuel cap - fitted a new OEM seal as the old one was perished...tricky to install but got it in the end.

The new OEM headlight surround arrived and accepted the Koito H4 lamp easily. Much brighter looking, I'll source a H4 LED bulb to avoid overloading the electrics.

The overall look is coming together, I like it :)

Spoke to the powedercoat guy, on Monday I'll be checking out shades of white, making a choice and using the RAL number on the bodywork too.

Thanksfor checking in :)

toffee

Hi Colin, great progress this does have similarities to my own project.
So much fabrication and relocating of things.

well done on the progress so far.
"An object at rest stays at rest and an object in motion stays in motion..." - Newton's 1st law of Motion

NoRiders

Quote from: toffee on May 02, 2020, 08:01:55 AM
Hi Colin, great progress this does have similarities to my own project.
So much fabrication and relocating of things.

well done on the progress so far.

Thankee sir....picked up the pace for sure.... :)