Main Menu

Johnny Cash Special - Suzonda 2smoker

Started by NoRiders, December 01, 2019, 03:16:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NoRiders

Quote from: thatguy on May 04, 2020, 10:41:34 AM
Quote from: NoRiders on May 04, 2020, 09:01:51 AM
Quote from: JB Weld on May 03, 2020, 08:04:05 PM
Very nice project. So many innovative mods. Can't wait to see the end result.  :whoop:

Thank you....it's a lot more work than I anticipated, first time doing something so difficult tbh, so it's taken a lot longer and cost a lot more than I had hoped.
I too am looking forward to it finished.... :)

Yeah, most, if not all, of my other auto related projects have done exactly that, cost more in time, effort and money....why do we do it*? :)

* I love it really ;)

Projects are like that. Multiply by 3 for time and 5 for cost enables an accurate estimate when considering one. Even so that rarely stops me.  :whistle:

NoRiders

Wheeled it outside for a good look....tank to seat like will work and liking the Micron angle and the look of the engine nestled in the frame too.

Spoke to the powdercoat guy today, chosen RAL 9010 white satin for the wheels...the body work in the same colour but pro sprayed 2pack.

economan

Looks like you just need an "adapter kit"  :umm:   and you should be smoking about the alleyways.
One piece at a time, eh. ?
I love it  :clap:

thatguy

Looks like it'll be a fun ride.

BTW WTF is a V5?
"Don't be too timid and squeamish about your actions. All life is an experiment." – Ralph Waldo Emerson

NoRiders

Quote from: thatguy on May 04, 2020, 04:38:05 PM
Looks like it'll be a fun ride.

BTW WTF is a V5?

I'm hoping it'll be a blast...coffee shop to coffee shop ;)

The V5 in the UK is the reg documents including the registration number. So all paperwork intact and good to go. Considering the frame was part  of a deal,  and was absolutely bare, I trusted the guy who told me it was his mate's bike they slowly stripped when the engine blew up.
There's many that would call it sacrilege to dick with a 1977 400/4, but it was neglected and I've given it a new lease of life is the way I see it.

sav0r

A new lease is correct. My father turned a '66 Austin Mini into a hot rod, rear engine, tube frame Mini. People give him shit for chopping up a 'priceless' Mini. The thing was destined for the crusher had he not saved it. A lot of people don't get that though. The cool thing is that you get to have your jollies along the way.
www.chrislivengood.net - for my projects and musings.

NoRiders

Quote from: sav0r on May 05, 2020, 03:30:10 PM
A new lease is correct. My father turned a '66 Austin Mini into a hot rod, rear engine, tube frame Mini. People give him shit for chopping up a 'priceless' Mini. The thing was destined for the crusher had he not saved it. A lot of people don't get that though. The cool thing is that you get to have your jollies along the way.
100%..this.

The original bike in the deal was another 400/4 that's sat outside under a torn tarp for 15yrs. Gave it to my lad, he got it running in an afternoon and bratted it...

85RZwade

:agree: we love them, and in the end they're just machines. If they're not being used as they were intended and bringing joy, what good are they?
I post waayyy too much

NoRiders

Quote from: 85RZwade on May 06, 2020, 01:15:07 AM
:agree: we love them, and in the end they're just machines. If they're not being used as they were intended and bringing joy, what good are they?

Exactly....it seems the same folk who decry any modification and slate anyone who dares to move away from factory are quite happy to store a bike (or bikes) away from sight and never get around to riding them, so they sit forlorn, neglected and not played with (like a mint model car in it's original box)....but that's OK? And, where were they when this frame was rotting in a shed?

I shall carry on my butchery... ;)

NoRiders

A quick update:

The oil tank breather arrived, sits nice and tops off the assembly.

One thing I was determined to avoid is...rough edges on fibreglass pieces, seen too many nice paint jobs ruined (IMO) by a rough edge, so sanded mine to contour and smooth them...I'll ask my sprayer mate to pay attention to them too.

The tank required minor filling to a few dents, I tried to ease the dents out with leverage, but the tank metal is tough/thick. A skim of P38 did the trick.

Before

After

Off to the painters this weekend I hope. Done a deal with my mate, he sprays for the cost of materials and oven, I give him a day decorating his house as I'm a house painter...cool barter :)

Using stainless P clips to mount the headlight cowl....paired up they provide a sound anchor as there's not much weight or stress on them. Fashioned a 3mm alloy tab which came out OK, and suits the overall style.

And....a late delivery saw this alloy billet Micron forkbrace arrive....had to fit it didn't I?

Also, another P clip to tether the brake line worked out well I reckon. It's a bit of a lump tbh and takes some getting used to....I shall sit n stare at it for a good while ;)

NoRiders

Tackled a job I wasn't looking forward to...the leftside exhaust. Turned out, as I chose to do it the correct way, it was relatively simple to make another spigot, this one was straight as the pipe had to sit slightly outward to clear the side stand mount....so that's got that connected...

...and, the alignment of the rear silencers looks to be OK too....bit of fettling on final build up will see them right.

That's all folks :)

JB Weld

I really enjoy watching the progression of this build. Great job so far!

85RZwade

Roger that. I'm always pleased to see that Colin has given us something to appreciate  :affirmation:
I post waayyy too much

NoRiders

JBWeld & Wade, thank you gents. Pleased that you get something out of my witterings, wrangling and wrenching :)

I'm trying to keep the momentum going best I can...awaiting parts is one thing and now paint.

Now that the exhaust is sorted, I'll probably dig out the MIG and have a goat the engine mounts, then slot the engine in to align the drive sprockets.

This coming week, I hope to have the old tyres removed so the wheels can be powdercoated.

Thanks for checking in.

NoRiders

Logic suggested I had better install the actual GT200 engine, so I can align drive sprockets......with a bit of jiggery pokery they align perfectly. I have adjustment in the mounts, but the fit is great.

Still need to remake the front upper out of 3mm steel. The NGK plug caps are a nice touch :)

Couldn't resist positioning the carbs - so I can measure how large I can go with filters - 60-70mm should be fine.

Also, in final prep for paint, I repaired a cracked side panel...using an electric soldering iron/gun and a cut down pop rivet stem, embedded by melting....I reckon this will be strong enough to hold.

I've since been advised I could've used a paperclip and fed in plastic from a cable tie :) Next time.

I also fitted the OEM Honda petcock, fits like a glove and leak free...I washed out the inner and rinsed it with paraffin...no leaks overnight, so it's good to go, happy with that :)