This year:  May 5-12th.  25th year!
(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

Johnny Cash Special - Suzonda 2smoker

Started by NoRiders, December 01, 2019, 03:16:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

toffee

looking good!
the pipes are sitting quite wide, will you be able to access the side stand?
"An object at rest stays at rest and an object in motion stays in motion..." - Newton's 1st law of Motion

NoRiders

Thanx

The pipes will be fettled to sit as close as is practical....given they're for an RD350LC. The rear mount uses the pillion peg mount on the curved outriggers, which I had to bend outwards for the swingarm to clear. The brackets I'll make will be S shaped to allow the rear to sit tight to the outriggers....I don't want to alter the exhaust bracket if I can help.

The 400/4 side stand will need modifying, extending and the access peg extended to curve under the silencer.

Here's a recent shot.

NoRiders

Update: Been trying to sort the wiring and fitting components in the Honda electrical area....doing OK I reckon, one small bracket away from everything mounted....wiring will be arranged to suit from an SB loom I have....defo needs a starter live from handlebar to solenoid as well as the run/kill switch too.

Battery, 12v AGM 9AH arrived and fits snugly, which was the plan ;)

My lad's popping in this Saturday to help connect it all up. Got this box of crimps and connectors which might help.

I also have a scrap loom that may provide colour coded wires. Wish me luck this weekend :)

sav0r

It's all starting to come together! Great work!
www.chrislivengood.net - for my projects and musings.

m in sc

im liking it.

few comments:

i agree those pipes are out there, surprised you didnt tuck them in. think they will be an issue.

the headlight mounts: i did basically the exact same thing, except with TI sheet on my rd, it works a treat, and actually wished i had done it earlier on other projects from the past.

NoRiders

Quote from: sav0r on May 19, 2020, 04:06:29 PM
It's all starting to come together! Great work!

Yeah thnx, I feel like I've made some progress even though there's still a way to go :) keep on plugging away.

NoRiders

Quote from: m in sc on May 19, 2020, 05:06:14 PM
im liking it.

few comments:

i agree those pipes are out there, surprised you didnt tuck them in. think they will be an issue.

the headlight mounts: i did basically the exact same thing, except with TI sheet on my rd, it works a treat, and actually wished i had done it earlier on other projects from the past.

The pipes are for an RD350LC I was told by the seller., so given the engine position I cannot get them to 'tuck' anymore that they are. Clearance is about 1/2" or less. The side stand will need extending and the foot tag thingy bending around the pipe.

The P clip headlight mount was the solution to overly expensive mounts that stuck the headlight out too far....see it quite often on other builds and as I'm using a cowl it had to sit tight as possible.

NoRiders

I think I have everything for this weekend, ready for when my son does the wiring for me ;)

Battery on charge.

Clutch cable arrived.

NoRiders

Today was a good day...my lad sorted the wiring so I now have working rear lights, indicators and the starter kicks over on the button...yay.

Just a headlight relay, indicators and an earth strap to sort.

NoRiders

Any good reason why the coil can't be mounted in this position just above the carbs?

The bracket pops up through a hole on the tank mount and I'll fix it with a couple of Rivnuts.

85RZwade

I think it's a fine location, functionally. Hopefully it'll be somewhat hidden by the fuel tank, 'cause it's none too pretty. Maybe you can conceal it with a repurposed airbox...?  ;)
I post waayyy too much

NoRiders

Quote from: 85RZwade on May 25, 2020, 06:33:00 PM
......conceal it with a repurposed airbox...?  ;)

...or a decal ;)

It'll be tucked under the tank...if anyone's nosing under there and dares to comment, a swift poke in the eye should have them see my point...haha!

I know coils get hot in use...wonder if a quick coat of VHT paint might work? Anyone done this?

RustyRD

Your chosen location looks like it will work fine. The coil may even see better cooling in this location. Be careful to maintain a good ground, does not take much resistance to start to lose current to the coil.

NoRiders

Quote from: RustyRD on May 26, 2020, 06:37:23 PM
Your chosen location looks like it will work fine. The coil may even see better cooling in this location. Be careful to maintain a good ground, does not take much resistance to start to lose current to the coil.

Thanx, thought it would but, better to check I've not made a rookie error.

I'll probably run a ground tail direct to the frame.

In other news....I've spotted a bijou problemo

Hadn't given it a thought....then find the primary drive cover is 'kin miles out and requires some chopping...

I thought to use/trial cut a crappy cover I had and glad I did......still working on it....this is a food break. I'm aiming for a straight (ish) fit as the clutch actuating rod has to align with the lever as well as the gear change shaft too....so any jiggery pokery must be kept to a minimum. Bugger.

NoRiders

Don't you just love it when you deal with a good company, I needed to talk to someone in RamAir regarding my foam filter issue, called them and spoke to a helpful chap, we discussed my requirement and he suggested a couple of options, even recommending another company for the trumpets. We agreed, there would be a solution and I explored the trumpet options.

Trumpets and associated parts would cost loads and add time (delivery mid July/Aug for the adapter) so I ordered the single 34mm foam pod x2. Called the fella back to tell him what I'd decided to do and thank him for his time.....he promised my order will be dispatched that same day (yesterday 26/02/20) only for the parcel to arrive today...all present and correct.

The business is RamAir, they're UK based and worth a recommend IMO.

https://www.ramair-filters.co.uk/products/motorcycle/race-pod-air-filters-motorcycle/