Mat Oxley 1986 IOM TT

click above to read more about Mat.

Main Menu

Johnny Cash Special - Suzonda 2smoker

Started by NoRiders, December 01, 2019, 03:16:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NoRiders

Quote from: RustyRD on June 22, 2020, 06:54:40 PM
:whoop: :whoop:Great when they fire up and no parts fly off. Congrats :whoop: :whoop:

Haha...no parts flew off.....but, don't speak too soon fella.

NoRiders

Quote from: 85RZwade on June 22, 2020, 09:36:27 PM
Never any question of it starting up, it had no choice! Great work Colin, I assume the electric starter will only be used in emergencies?
Thanx...I turned 61 yesterday and the question of kicker or starter was given a lot of thunking time. My first engine, the SB200 had kicker only...and my ego was telling me "do it, it's cool as fuq"....then my head chipped in with "what da fuq are you thinkin' fool?" hence I have a kicker for show and a starter for go on the GT engine I found when lamely searching for a assisted starter mechanism ;)

NoRiders

NoRiders

Quote from: Czakky on June 21, 2020, 03:58:11 PM
Wow! You will turn some heads when they hear that electric starter and then it fires.

Haha...I hope so ;)

NoRiders

Topped up the gearbox with oil.

Fitted the exhaust - may have to do it again to seal it, but it's only for a run up the road and back.

Making a pair of front upper engine mounts in 3mm steel, cut from box section...just need to drill the holes and paint.

Still need to sort the oil pump feed.....I'm trying to avoid stripping the battery/oil tank box out....hmmm?

NoRiders

Gez the trimmer delivered on the seat & tank pad.....awesome is not a word I bandy about, but I'm very pleased with the result.

Ignore the gaps, it's just thrown together for now.....trims need to be fixed in place etc...still waiting for the bodywork to be repainted :(

I've given the suede a spray with protector to waterproof and stain guard too.

Front caliper is due shortly after it's refurbishment and rebuild.

Need to measure for a 520 chain.

Fashioning upper front engine mounts, then they'll need welding.

Thanks for checking in :)

RustyRD

That bike is looking GREAT. The seat and trim look fantastic.

85RZwade

:agree: love the upholstery Colin; be careful filling that tank! Tell us about those suzonda tank badges, they look perfect  :thumbs:
I post waayyy too much

NoRiders

Quote from: 85RZwade on June 27, 2020, 09:49:02 AM
:agree: love the upholstery Colin; be careful filling that tank! Tell us about those suzonda tank badges, they look perfect  :thumbs:

Thanx I love it too.
I've used spray shoe protector on the entire set, the same stuff you use to waterproof new boots etc. I will be careful too.

Suzonda tank badge and side panel badges are 3D printed by a guy in the UK at a cost of £40 x4 ...not cheap, but he did exactly what I asked for and they came out great.

NoRiders

Quote from: RustyRD on June 27, 2020, 08:59:56 AM
That bike is looking GREAT. The seat and trim look fantastic.

Thank you. I knew the tank had the potential to stand out, the trimmer is 100% and I'm happy the seat pad turned out how I had tried to describe to him.
I've still got to have the tank n bodywork repainted in the matching white shade of the wheels RAL 9003. Then add the decals.

RustyRD

I love the WTF 200/2 :bacon:  great idea on 3D printing. 

NoRiders

Quote from: RustyRD on June 27, 2020, 05:33:12 PM
I love the WTF 200/2 :bacon:  great idea on 3D printing.

Yeah, when I saw them I knew they'd have a place on the bike. They will cover the original Honda CB200 tank badge which screws to a welded plate in a recess......the vinyl decal I had made wouldn't work correctly and I didn't want to fill the recess.

They are good and look the part, but they'll not pass for factory badges as the black background is a rough finish, not visible in the images.

WTF200/2 as the frame is a 400/4.

85RZwade

I post waayyy too much

NoRiders

Quote from: 85RZwade on June 28, 2020, 08:47:18 AM
Such great details!

Well, thank you.....I spend a lot of time just sitting looking at it...then seeing something on another build or making it up as I go along. It's a fine line between details and too much I think...so mostly, I ponder the idea and see if I still think it's OK a few days later.

The side panel vents for example....thought that one through a good while, before I arrived at the end result....ie: fine stainless mesh formed from behind into the hole.....seen it on some great bikes and loved that the mesh formed into the hole, rather than just sit behind it. Considered punch stainless sheet which I used on the Honda, but preferred the old skool wire mesh in the end.

Did I mention I've mislaid the bloody ignition switch!! :/

SoCal250

75 Yamaha RD125B   75 Yamaha RD125B (project)
75 Yamaha RD250B   75 Yamaha RD200B (project)
73 Yamaha RD350     77 Yamaha RD400D   79 Yamaha RD400F  
91 Yamaha TZR250R  89 Yamaha FZR400   05 Yamaha FZ6   
05 Yamaha XT225TC  82 Honda MB5  02 Aprilia RS250 Cup (sold)