Deals Gap Parking lot triage, looking at sunroofed #2:

This year:  May 5-12th.  25th year!
(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

RD250 right crank seal replacement question

Started by oldguyRD1964, February 19, 2020, 10:36:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

85RZwade

Take pictures with your cell phone before and as you disassemble the engine. I do it at work often, and just the act of taking pictures helps me to notice and remember how parts go together. Instant reference that you can magnify, a big help to our vintage eyes.
I post waayyy too much

oldguyRD1964

Thanks for the picture idea I thought of that, and I'm off.... so first problem finding a bucket to get the oil out... check but new problem no slide hammer for the flywheel!!! so all stop... harbor freight is my next stop.

I knew all of you would be on the edge of your seats.

Jspooner

You don't need a puller for the rotor (flywheel), all you need is the rear upper motor mount bolt (the one right behind the tach drive. If it's still the original bolt it will screw into the center of the rotor and work like a push bolt. This works best with an impact.
"Just quit brain fucking it and get it done"

Greaser Greg

Left rear exhaust bolt works for pulling rotor also. :twocents:
Every day above ground is a good one.
'71 R5B "Rusty"  '71 R5B "Decaf"   '99 KZ 250
'97 XL1200S "The Vibrator"   '08 XL1200N  "Greenie" (totalled)
'78 CB750F "The Skunk"   '74 CB550 "Blackie"    '78 Honda Hobbit

oldguyRD1964

Ok so take the rear bolt out and screw it into the center where the long bolt was and use an impact driver fwd to the right correct? I forgot I had bought a remover but it's definitely larger than the bolt I removed.

oldguyRD1964

Sorry to be so stupid but do I remove the dyna first if so I can't figure out how the unit comes off I took the screws off holding the wiring but the plate is sitting on the circular aluminum center piece (sorry not sure what to call it).

I am going to look for the install manual for it but the manual pictures show a different looking stator (hope thats the correct name)...see I was dreading this.

oldguyRD1964

Hi I took the 13mm bolt off the rear of the engine mount above the swing arm and it's too large and I'm referring to the triangle frame support there are 3 bolts two smaller 13mm nut and a larger 17mm nut and I'm talking about the smaller 13mm.

Ok I'm looking at the dyna instructions thank you for that... on page 9 it shows the install but I don't quite understand how it's on the bike. shouldn't the aluminum in the center just come off? what I don't understand is how the bolt size is smaller than 13mm the flywheel remover I bought says 20mm...

m in sc

just take the aluminum part out. that gives access to the rotor. then take the alternator off, its 3 crosshead screws the whole housing comes out with the stator.  then, the bolt you are going to use is an  m10x1.25 thread

oldguyRD1964

this doesn't come off I'm obviously missing something. Should I use a screw driver and pry it off? I'm hesitant due to it being aluminum. Plus that cannot be the correct way could it?

oldguyRD1964

My apologies it is a screwdriver behind it to wedge it out situation. The stress level of working this... I'm very sorry

Jspooner

You have to remove the modules (the black things on either side of the aluminum piece. They are fastened to an aluminum plate that it's screwed to the stator housing. Leave the modules on the plate. Just remove the screws holding the plate to the stator housing.

Jspooner

Quote from: Jspooner on February 20, 2020, 08:09:05 PM
You have to remove the modules (the black things on either side of the aluminum piece. They are fastened to an aluminum plate that it's screwed to the stator housing. Leave the modules on the plate. Just remove the screws holding the plate to the stator housing.

Forget that. They can stay in place. The aluminum piece should just pull off.

oldguyRD1964

Thanks I got it off and once I did the larger bolt holding the motor did the trick on removing the stator. It's gotten dark now so I will return tomorrow to resume no light in the area I'm working on this (meaning the work light is not quite enough)..

I can't thank you all enough... hate depending on people to help.. this seems easier than it is.

oldguyRD1964

I'm sorry to ask another two questions. I'm stuck on removing the rotor
I've done two things.

I've tried screwing the bolt in and I've tried using my impact driver fwd to the right and that's not doing it and I've tried my 2lb mini sledge about 10 times. Any ideas? I've hit the impact about 4x's to the right about 1/2 turn each time.

The other issue is the wires on the brush gear wiring harness, do I remove the magnets and unhook all the wires or is there a trick to the rubber grommet... this bike makes me feel so stupid

m in sc

use an air impact gun or battery one, you need to tighten the bolt in to push it off the crank.. the bolt IS the puller. you're taking it off a tapered shaft with a keyway. don't hit the bolt or rotor with a hammer, ever.

grommet comes out the way you are looking at it, work the boot best you can and get it out that way.