Mat Oxley 1986 IOM TT

click above to read more about Mat.

Main Menu

RD250 right crank seal replacement question

Started by oldguyRD1964, February 19, 2020, 10:36:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SUPERTUNE

That area looks fine to me.
I'll chime in on the little screws...they are loctited from the factory and some builders re-loctite them also.
Even with my 30 years of removing them, they can be real hard to get out.
I buy them by the bag of a 100 if you want to know how many I still screw up getting them out.
Chuck

P.S.
I was at the vintage races all weekend and wasn't here on the forum...But the other boys replying are doing a fine job!!
RD machine work, boring, porting, cranks and engine building.

Chuck 'SUPERTUNE' Quenzler III
Team Scream Racing LLC
1920 Sherwood St. STE A
Clearwater, FL. 33765
cqsupertune@tampabay.rr.com

pdxjim

I hate to be the guy, but ... do you have a shop manual?

The Haynes one is available on Amazon for like $12, and will lead you step-by-step thru the disassembly and reassembly process.  It's worth it's weight in gold and makes excellent bathroom and bedside reading as well.

As for the cracked case, the castings are pretty rough in places, and casting flaws often look like cracks. Certainly could be a crack, but most likely just cosmetic.  Post up a pic when you can.

And as for the little screws inside the sidecovers, don't worry too much about buggering them up.  Set them aside during disassembly and go get new ones before you put it all back together.  Hardware store fasteners are fine.  Allen heads will make it easier to take apart next time.  Clean everything real well and use a little blue loctite when you're buttoning it back up.
Wasting time on 2T forums since the dawn of the internet. '89 TDR250, '13 300xcw, '19 690smcr, '56 Porsche 356A

oldguyRD1964

Thanks for that information on the locktite...
I have manuals but I what I notice is there are some description on what to do but they don't give all details and the pictures sort of show the item and then it's gone...

I realize I am pretty ignorant and asking basic questions.. I'm not highly mechanical. Sorry but it's these bikes you can't take it a shop. If there was a shop it would 1000 which I don't have.

I do have one seal it's really small and I don't know where it would go....
about 1/2 in diameter...
Also, I do not see the ball bearing from the clutch do they fall out easily? I never tilted the engine when I took the basket off and I never saw the ball bearing...

Thanks....

pdxjim

Wasting time on 2T forums since the dawn of the internet. '89 TDR250, '13 300xcw, '19 690smcr, '56 Porsche 356A

SUPERTUNE

Most seal kits fit RD350 and RD400's. They come with extra seals that are not used in the 350.
One is the left hand side cover on a 400 where the shift shaft comes through the cover is a small seal as the 400s added a zerk grease fitting to the cover which 350's didn't have.
Chuck
RD machine work, boring, porting, cranks and engine building.

Chuck 'SUPERTUNE' Quenzler III
Team Scream Racing LLC
1920 Sherwood St. STE A
Clearwater, FL. 33765
cqsupertune@tampabay.rr.com

pdxjim

Yeah, the one in the 400 and LC sidecover Chuck mentions is the one I was thinking of but I got distracted by Dusty's pretty pics. 

Take a look at this thread by Dusty350 off Norbo's forum.  It's very detailed and pic heavy LC engine reassembly thread.  Some subtle differences in this engine from yours, but most of it is the same.  If nothing else it'll get you used to looking at all the little parts and where they go.

https://rdlccrazy.proboards.com/thread/45676/another-lc-engine-rebuild

I'll look around for one on the aircooled 350 engine.

pdxjim

Here's an RD400 rebuild thread, also by Dusty350.  Thanks again mate.  These threads were invaluable to me when rebuilding my LC bottom end last year.

https://rdlccrazy.proboards.com/thread/49716/rd400e-engine-rebuild

oldguyRD1964

Appreciate that link, and the pictures. The seal I'm referring to is not that one, it probably goes in the parts under the trans. gears... I didn't take that off.... I noticed I bought some plugs for the shifter but I didn't pop them out as I figured you would need to take that apart and I can't handle that at the moment since that's where my stripped - cross threaded screws are.

One thing I will need later is a few electrical male plugs I recall they are not standard size vs what my local electrical store carries... I will need to find a replacement. In a certain way you guys were right about this not being overly difficult of course I say that being the neurotic person I am. Of course I won't know until I get this together an do a pressure test, which could be weeks away... :help: I sincerely appreciate all the assistance I really owe you all some drinks...

85RZwade

Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit drinking...
I post waayyy too much

m in sc