Deals Gap Parking lot triage, looking at sunroofed #2:

This year:  May 5-12th.  25th year!
(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

RD250 right crank seal replacement question

Started by oldguyRD1964, February 19, 2020, 10:36:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

m in sc

Don't take this the wrong way, but might want to reach out to a member thats local to you for help on this project. a little direct experience can go a long way. 

I'm on the other coast so can't really help.  :wave:

Jspooner

Quote from: oldguyRD1964 on February 21, 2020, 04:04:07 PM
The other issue is the wires on the brush gear wiring harness, do I remove the magnets and unhook all the wires or is there a trick to the rubber grommet... this bike makes me feel so stupid

To remove the grommet take a dull straight blade screwdriver on the back side (the side where it exits) and carefully push down and in on the outside of the grommet until you see the hole in the case, once you see the hole you can gently start pushing the grommet thru the hole by working around it with your dull screwdriver. It's really not that big of a deal.
"Just quit brain fucking it and get it done"

Jspooner

Quote from: m in sc on February 21, 2020, 04:21:13 PM
Don't take this the wrong way, but might want to reach out to a member thats local to you for help on this project. a little direct experience can go a long way. 

I'm on the other coast so can't really help.  :wave:

I agree with Mark on this. If you are that overwhelmed by this already you should stop before something gets messed up. I am in WI so I can't help you unless you want to ship your engine to me.

oldguyRD1964

Admin... I totally get it, 1st you were right I got it off with the impact... many youtube videos use a hammer..
I'm sorry if I'm bumming the forum out. I don't know anyone that has an RD. I'll try really hard to solo this from here out. Sorry I bothered everyone here.

Jspooner

Quote from: oldguyRD1964 on February 21, 2020, 04:39:55 PM
Admin... I totally get it, 1st you were right I got it off with the impact... many youtube videos use a hammer..
I'm sorry if I'm bumming the forum out. I don't know anyone that has an RD. I'll try really hard to solo this from here out. Sorry I bothered everyone here.

You aren't bothering anyone, we are here to help, just don't want to see you mess something up and get frustrated which happens alot with these old bikes. More power to you for wanting to do it yourself. Keep the questions coming.

m in sc

absolutely!  :cheerleader:  keep going :cheerleader: you arent bothering anybody, we all started somewhere  :vroom:

Gene Ungar

One suggestion on removing the rubber plug that carries the wires through the case.  Use a heat gun to warm it up a bit.  The nearly 50 year old rubber will be very stiff.  Warming it up makes it temporarily more pliable.  You can do the same thing to reinstall it.

oldguyRD1964

Hello,

A problem has occurred and I wanted to ask your advice before I try something. I have a JIS #2 and before I tried to unscrew it fit tight. I pushed down and gave it a quick twist. The first screw came, the second circled I thought it did but I can see it is not a good situation.

The lower screw round head looks bad I barely tried to loosen it. I'm assuming the mechanic I hired 5 years ago didn't do a great job there. The top screw flat head I noticed the first screw I loosened felt very odd like cross threaded and I'm wondering if the right one is as it is not flush.

Next issue is the crank gear, I obviously got the nut off, but the gear not, I tapped the gear a few times lightly with a rubber mallet but nothing happening.

Back to the screws, I have a manual impact with a hammer I believe the bits are JIS. My normal is to take a dremel tool and cut a notch but never tried it with an engine that I care about.

Love your advice here.

Jspooner

Those screws you are trying to remove don't need to come out for what you are doing. What I do when the heads start to mushroom like that is I'll take a flat punch to the heads and give it a couple of good whacks with a hammer to try and push the metal somewhat back into shape and then give it another go with your impact. If that doesn't work then you have to resort to other methods. As far as the gear goes, just get behind it with something and lightly pry on it. It will come off. It's just stuck from being on there so long.

oldguyRD1964

If the screws don't need to come out what should I do, leave them as is, or try to get them out. I now have a cylinder problem as well so I can't win at the moment.

The whole engine  was apart 5 years ago obviously not by me, I rode 500 miles, and now all this...

Jspooner

If they didn't loosen at all when you were messing with them I'd probably leave them. The flathead that looks like it might be cross threaded could be a problem if you get it out of the threads are in fact buggered up. Looks like whoever worked on it for you needs a lesson in how to start screws in threaded holes.

oldguyRD1964

The flat screws on the top left I hit with an impact it moved 1/2 turn but it's very tight literally need the impact to turn it 1/8 each hit but I'm not going crazy hitting it... I'm torn I don't know what to do with it but if you hit with an impact 4 times to get to 1/2 turn loose it should come off easy right?

If I'm going to mess with one I should do the other. I can't tell if both are cross threaded or not. The other two screws both popped when I gave it quick 1/4 turn with the screw driver.

I was really hoping I wasn't going to post until it was done.

85RZwade

:twocents: if they're tight like a tiger, I say leave 'em. You've bigger fish to fry
I post waayyy too much

Jspooner

oldguyRD1964

Ok I did re-tighten the two screws, however, I think my case is cracked on the very back side upper... I wanted to also ask you if you've ever seen this from yamabond 4 oozing and pushing the seal away my original problem was a leaking right seal.

I almost have it split once I do, I'll see if what I think is a crack really is.