Deals Gap Parking lot triage, looking at sunroofed #2:

This year:  May 5-12th.  25th year!
(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

UFO??

Started by JB Weld, June 02, 2020, 06:28:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JB Weld

http://www.nichecycle.com/ncs/mikuni/accessories/3234-1-ultimate-flow-optimizer-ufo-vm30-vm34-150063.html

Anybody ever try these? I think I looked them up a long time ago, but since forgot until today.

Thoughts?

Czakky

I'm sure compared to most in this group I'm a pretty novice mechanic, but even by my amateur eye the bottom of a round carb slide just seems like it would better like this.
Maybe that's the selling point though....
Sorry I've got no experience...

Organicjedi

Tony Doukas swears by these for his ahrma race bikes. Why race bikes? Because ahrma won't let you use flat slides.

JB Weld

I now remember wanting them, but don't want to pull the triggering they're not worth anything. Rebuilt my engine 4 years ago, and finally getting around to getting it running. Bored over with Pro-X pistons, TDR reeds, DGs, UNI filters and RZ intakes with VM 28s and Dave F Mod.

I was searching for bigger pilots and stumbled across these. They say that I could end up with half the size required without, so again, a conundrum on what to try... 

Hawaii-Mike

They work great, I have them on my H2 with VM30's.

thatguy

I remember a magazine (Motocross Action???) doing a dyno and track test on them when they were new. To make a long story short they work well.
"Don't be too timid and squeamish about your actions. All life is an experiment." – Ralph Waldo Emerson

AAAltered

15 years ago I put one in my Enfield single.  The NA Royal Enfield parts catalog had it and I think they called it The Turbinator. 
1971 R5
1976 RD200
2022 Moto Guzzi V7 850 Special

85RZwade

Curiosity got the better of me last night and I checked out the Niche cycle link. Almost bought the UFOs for my RZ350 and/or some VM30s I'm prepping, but couldn't quite commit. Decent site with generally good prices and free shipping at $100. I had to add some fuel line to make the freight! If one goes for the idea of the UFOs, they offer these:

http://www.nichecycle.com/ncs/categories/carburetor/accessories/vm34-110-ufokit-mikuni-vm32-vm34-slide-idle-left-ufo-kit-by-mikuni.html

Maybe...
I post waayyy too much

m in sc

they are expensive. i know i could machine one pretty easily, but meh.

heres the direct link to the maker:

http://thunderproducts.com/product/ufo-ultimate-flow-optimizer/

ive been considering them for the 34s on the lc hybrid, theres a nagging 5800 rpm snag that is definitely flow related , and ive considered this to resolve the issue. its minor but it bugs me.  :twocents:

Hawaii-Mike

I bought the Thunder Products UFO's for my H2.  Though they were advertised to fit VM30's they were too big.  I spent hours carefully grinding them to fit my slides.  They work great but it was disappointing to spend so much time grinding expensive pieces of plastic.

This guy Bob sells aluminum inserts in the UK.  I bought a set for VM34's and they fit nicely.  If you have RD's, maybe he will sell you two.  If you have more than one RD, maybe you can buy two sets (of three) then you have enough for three RD's.

Be careful about ordering the inserts to that they fit your carb slides - they can be left side or right side.

Here's the link: https://www.boblesbits.com/

1976RD400C

So, if you buy just the disc you have to drill and tap a hole in the bottom of your slide to mount it and blend it to match properly ?  :umm:
'76 RD400 green  '76 RD400 red   '84 RZ350

85RZwade

I think so. Kinda makes their machined slides appealing, but they specify left side idle, and my 30s are a left and a right. I wonder if something could successfully be done with dirko or hylomar; something that would adhere to the slide but do no damage if it came adrift?
I post waayyy too much

m in sc

i think i'll just machine my own.

actually, the uk place looks pretty good. 6.50 for shipping worldwide? excellent. thats like 90 bucks shipped for 3 , and actual metal.  :metal:

85RZwade

I messaged boblesbits about their product, to see if they are compatible with plated brass slides and left/right idle screws.
I see they give a price break on multiple items; would anyone be interested in a group buy?
I post waayyy too much

m in sc

so did i. im running 3.0 slides on the carbs, so, should be intereting to say the least to see what he says. sent off a stack of pics to him this morning.