Deals Gap Parking lot triage, looking at sunroofed #2:

This year:  May 5-12th.  25th year!
(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

UFO??

Started by JB Weld, June 02, 2020, 06:28:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

m in sc

oh, im aware of whats involved,  thats its not a bolt in and go, for sure.  I enjoy the tuning.  :toot:

1976RD400C

Niche order arrived. Here is the UFO and a machined 2.5 slide for 34mm carb. Slight problem with order though, whoever packed it put only 1 UFO in there and a template for drilling which they must of mistaken for a UFO. The missing one is on it's way. They definitely have scalloped shapes to them. The 2.5 cutaway has been altered to fit like a glove. Will follow up with the way it runs when I get the other one.

20200608-143612" border="0
20200608-144855" border="0
20200608-143626" border="0
'76 RD400 green  '76 RD400 red   '84 RZ350

Hawaii-Mike

You're gonna like it.  Midrange power improves.

m in sc

i cant say by the pics i'm super impressed with the fit, but def going to be better.  :twocents:

1976RD400C

Quote from: m in sc on June 08, 2020, 03:17:28 PM
i cant say by the pics i'm super impressed with the fit, but def going to be better.  :twocents:
The 2 pics I took outside I noticed it was not quite fully seated. Has anyone ever used a "drag strip" app on their phone to get acceleration numbers, ie 0-60, 1/4 mile, etc. so I can get before and after performance results?

85RZwade

The side cutouts appear to be symmetrical, like they'd work in a left or right side idle carburetor, right?
I post waayyy too much

Hawaii-Mike

They won't fit either side on a triple and I don't think they will fit either side on an RD.

m in sc

^ this is why Bob in the uk seems like a better option that thunder products tot he general public, to me. he's willing to work with what you actually have. (and actually specializes in triples). that's why i reached out.

85RZwade

You must have emailed with your work title, or Site Administrator, 'cause he still hasn't responded to me.
I post waayyy too much

m in sc

no, personal e-mail. he doesn't know who i am from anywhere else. (not like i have any sway anyway, lol) he said he was in the middle of a big project though. I didn't hear from him for 2 or 3 days though.

RDFL

Quote from: 1976RD400C on June 08, 2020, 03:07:11 PM
Niche order arrived. Here is the UFO and a machined 2.5 slide for 34mm carb. Slight problem with order though, whoever packed it put only 1 UFO in there and a template for drilling which they must of mistaken for a UFO. The missing one is on it's way. They definitely have scalloped shapes to them. The 2.5 cutaway has been altered to fit like a glove. Will follow up with the way it runs when I get the other one.

Been curious about these for long time, looking forward to hearing your results.

JB Weld

Quote from: RDFL on June 08, 2020, 11:20:13 PM
Quote from: 1976RD400C on June 08, 2020, 03:07:11 PM

Been curious about these for long time, looking forward to hearing your results.

Me too!  :nana:

1976RD400C

I've got hard data.   :toot:   I tried to use a cell phone app to record drag race data but it was all over the place and I had problems with having to take my glove off to touch the screen to start it and it would trip on just from the vibrations from my bike. So I took my Qstarz GPS data recorder, that I never really used for much, and wow. It records time, speed, where you are, and G forces. The software graphs it and you get a great readout on what's happening. I did a drag race that was about 985 feet. Here's the screen shot at the end. The little lines coming off are the G forces from the bend in the road. I marked the shift points. Then there is a video of it in action recording speed, distance, and G forces. I'm kind of impressed with the G forces at launch.  ;D  And then finally, Go Pro on board. Now I got data I before UFO's. I'm ready to install them and give it another run. With the software I can lay one graph over the other and see what they do.   :pop:  This was so much fun and I'm happy the way it turned out for a first try.

gps-graph" border="0
https://youtu.be/WXS5oY9NISk
https://youtu.be/SEjrI7xOqKQ

1976RD400C

UFO report:  The missing niche ufo arrived and I installed them. Switched from 50 pilot to 30. Left the air screws at 1 3/4 turns. Left the needles where they were and didn't do anything to the main jet. Got all cleaned up and ready to go..... Bike won't start. Push start all by myself and it idles but refuses to take ANY throttle. It was so bad I said go 2 grooves richer on needle. Now I got gas all over me but hoping for the best. It takes throttle but I can tell it is still leaner than it was before I installed The UFO's. OK lets keep going and see what happens. Go putt putt till it warms up. Pull away from the stop sign, and notice, yes, something is going on. Catch 2nd gear and for sure at 1/2 throttle is really pulling nice. It makes the power feel more like an electric motor with instant torque, very quick response. Went for 20 mile loop and yes they seem to smooth things out, quicker response. The pilot circuit is too lean. The motor is chucking all over the place when it is off throttle. Idle is higher now too, but they are different slides in there. Anyway, the pilot has be richer and maybe one more notch on the needle and try again. Summery:  Don't make the pilot jet 1/2 the size it was, needle needs to go probably 3 notches richer, you will feel the throttle response gets better, probably more power but must test some more. A little more fine tuning and I think I will be happy with them. One thing for sure is 34mm carbs on a ported motor make excellent power at 1/2 throttle and when you open them up, it's like kicking in the 4 barrels on a V-8.    :twocents:

m in sc

nice, thanks for info

the aluminum ones from the uk i had made are done and shipping monday. will report.

also have a set of brand new tms on the way as well as plan b.  :toot: