Deals Gap Parking lot triage, looking at sunroofed #2:

This year:  May 5-12th.  25th year!
(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

TE SmartCarb

Started by retaRD, July 26, 2020, 12:48:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

retaRD

Does anyone have any experience with these?  They're gaining popularity in the modern dirt bike market. 
It's more or less a modernized/improved Lectron.  Very trick design.

https://technologyelevated.com/smartcarb-vs-lectron/

dgorms

Very interesting, pricey I imagine......................D
rz,r5,ds7,srx,fzr400rr,vfr,cl77,s90, F-7,CL 77, CA-77,ad infinitum

sav0r

$700 each.

Yeah, a bit spendy.
www.chrislivengood.net - for my projects and musings.

oxford

Quote from: sav0r on July 26, 2020, 04:21:38 PM
$700 each.

Yeah, a bit spendy.

Definitely not cheap but I think that is in the ball park of a genuine FCR carb if it's the dirt bike market they are after.

m in sc

ive heard people go on and on about those ad nauseum.  I'd love to get my hands on one and really take a long look at one, see what the fuss is about. there has to be something about them, but?  id find it real hard to justify spending 1400 on a set for a twin. or 700 for a single.  Ive heard they are the shit for singles and racing but.. why? from the description, the bowl is  pressurized by pulling a signal from the bellmouth from what looks like a CV carb type inlet, and compensating in that fashion, and then the fuel is discharged though a hollow needle? interesting for sure. this is -sort of- what the rd400's were trying to do with the air line to the airbox but a step further. worth the cost? dunno. Id hate to have a bad needle and seat though. hydrolock time.  :eek:

pdxjim

I know the modern KTM and Husky guys love these, but for a 70's-80's 2T twin, even the top tuners agree the Keihin PWK is tough to beat.
Wasting time on 2T forums since the dawn of the internet. '89 TDR250, '13 300xcw, '19 690smcr, '56 Porsche 356A

Jspooner

If these are "a modernized Lectron" I can't imagine they wouldn't work very well. Now that I understand how to set up lectrons and I have mine working just about perfect I love them. They are perfect throughout the entire range. No flat or dead spots. The only thing I don't like about them is they seem to be a little more sensitive to temp changes than Mikunis. When it's hot and humid I can really feel a difference. But it still runs flawless. Just a little less angry when you twist the throttle. Buying lectrons one at a time are not cheap either, but I got a pretty good price for two. Maybe there's price break on these for more than one as well.
"Just quit brain fucking it and get it done"

sav0r

You run those on the street or on a race bike?

Jspooner

Quote from: sav0r on July 26, 2020, 09:20:09 PM
You run those on the street or on a race bike?

Street bike...........I have them on my TZ replica.
"Just quit brain fucking it and get it done"

sav0r

That's cool! My father and I talked about Lectrons on the GT750 race car, but for three of them it was a bit much at the time. A friend offered a free set to us (they are vintage Lectrons from the 70's so it would be a nice period set), but they are only 30mm (or so he says), which isn't even close for our needs. I've been trying to get them from him just to play with them on my RD, but they are lost in his never ending pit of a garage somewhere. Someday...

rodneya

Smart carbs came out a few years ago to huge hype. The pre-sales dragged on and on and they kept delaying delivery. People kept going on about how great they were going to be. But when they actually started delivering them they turned out to be absolute garbage. The smartcarb website even shut down after a while. Now they have a new name and even more claims of greatness.

One thing they definitely did do was to increase sales of lectrons hugely.

m in sc

i mean a pair of lectrons isn't that far off price wise from 1 smart carb, i looked yesterday at the banshee kits out of curiosity.  also theres lots of hot H2s running lectrons on the street, they are proven.  Ive had 2 sets, they were way to sensitive for my liking the bit i played with them.

I mean, i got a pair of tms new for 300 bucks. i doubt  the smart carb is 2x as good as the lectrons or tms..  (price vs value).

thatguy

Lectrons are tried and true. I see no reason to attempt reinventing the wheel.
"Don't be too timid and squeamish about your actions. All life is an experiment." – Ralph Waldo Emerson

retaRD

Quote from: thatguy on July 27, 2020, 08:12:15 AM
Lectrons are tried and true. I see no reason to attempt reinventing the wheel.

They're not reinventing, just improving apparently.
There's a link in the original post explaining their carb vs Lectron.
The smartcarb was designed by the same guy who designed Lectron, Lake Injectors, etc.

Hawaii-Mike

I'd rather get a new set of PWK's from Partzilla for around $250.