Deals Gap Parking lot triage, looking at sunroofed #2:

This year:  May 5-12th.  25th year!
(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

I must be getting old. 2000 concours

Started by m in sc, August 06, 2020, 02:24:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

m in sc

just as an fyi,  I DO own a 99 concours for distance and rain riding. I probably have 1200 bucks in it total. So, i check the c10 board because occasionally you get parts super cheap, tail and tank bags, etc. the old guy that own these dont care about making any money off these, considering the nicest ones are never over 2500 bucks. I'm serious. diiiiirt cheap.  usually in the 700-1200 range for a runner.

I've had mine for 3+ years, its served me well in that time. So checking the c10 classifieds, a local one came up 'as parts or a project'. Now, everything for the most part swaps from 86-2006 there was a mid run brake and fork change and gauge change, but thats it.  So, i ask the guy about it, hes in Charlotte, about a block from where i used to live. these are the pics he sends:

no idea if it runs. been sitting outside for 4+ years under trees, but on a driveway. I figure if nothing else i can use the spare luggage, my buddy tom has one as well, hes been looking for tip-over bars, and those are real hella lights. and various spare parts, etc.

I ask him, what he wants for it.

250 bucks. clear title, original owner.  :eek: was like , be there Saturday.

SO, me and david and matt show up, nice but odd guy. bike had been hit in front, cracked upper fairing. saus a cop hit him at a light from the back, damaged one of the bags but easily fixable. so, all 3 of us load it up and i take it home.

after the car wash and ripping the fairing off, (the upper had more damage), and 50+ feet of CB and amateur radio wiring, its a nice solid stock bike underneath. needs the tank lined. carbs cleaned, etc, but think im going to do a naked gpz ish rider out of it.

keeping the tail, seat, tank, fender. but aside from that, round headlight, lower bars, tubular, and a few other things. these have between 92-96 rwh stock. I can wheelie mine with the fairing and its stock as well, so with the 40? lbs of shit i pulled off should be a lot more nimble.

has 61 k on it, these are good for over 150k easy. (the 99 has 40k on it)

just plastics off. look at the size of that birdcage. mines bent on the purple one so im swapping that.

vintage vetter standalone headlight i had laying around with led 7" on it. will do something different with HL ears, needs to come in and back.

still had my stock seat from mine (theres a corbin on mine now). the bucket butt one on the bike is a russel 'day long' seat which are actually desireable by some (other people).
I also have the matching rear cowl cap. paint is actually in decent shape on this thing. goign to run a standalone digital speedo/ stepper tach.

surprisingly, had the factory tool kit.  yes, those are the plugs i took out.   :eek: :whatever:

Bonus, i got it running in less than an hour, mechanically motor sounds fantastic. now to do everything else.   :whistle:

me and the 99 on the parkway a few yrs ago.

SoCal250

You can't beat that for only $250 bucks   :clap:
75 Yamaha RD125B   75 Yamaha RD125B (project)
75 Yamaha RD250B   75 Yamaha RD200B (project)
73 Yamaha RD350     77 Yamaha RD400D   79 Yamaha RD400F  
91 Yamaha TZR250R  89 Yamaha FZR400   05 Yamaha FZ6   
05 Yamaha XT225TC  82 Honda MB5  02 Aprilia RS250 Cup (sold)

m in sc

it was def one of those ' i cant NOT buy it' situations.

85RZwade

Great find, and you'll make it better  :thumbs:
I post waayyy too much

dgorms

I've heard of guys getting 200k plus miles out of those with routine maintenance! Known for the perfect blend of sport, and touring.......................D
rz,r5,ds7,srx,fzr400rr,vfr,cl77,s90, F-7,CL 77, CA-77,ad infinitum

Czakky

Can't beat that. I dig the naked idea. A street fighter for us middle aged!

m in sc

exaclty. more of a day bike with luggage capacity. Angie and I go a lot of places on the bikes. so, the CB1100 is great, but limited carrying if we go to the drag races, or a show, etc.

concours with fairing is fine but does get warm , and well, im not a huge fan of faired bikes. Obviously they have their place.

when i want to make parts/grocery runs in town.

Yes, im basically making a 'bagger' argument, but i view it more as a 2 wheeled utility vehicle.

IR8D8R

Looks like it was set up for night running with those Hella searchlights on it. He wasn't getting lost in the dark...

You're an inspiration Mark. I wish I still had half your motivation to work on stuff. It was once an every day thing but somewhere I lost the urge.

IR8D8R

m in sc

its my hobby, keeps me moving and stuff. anything mechanical, usually every day. Just landed on bikes, was cars only for a LONG time. My dads the same way with house stuff and building utilitarian furniture and gardening and landscaping. hes 80 & still doing stuff he probably shouldn't be.  :toot: 

m in sc

few updates:

did a BUNCH of basic maintenance and removal of bad repairs. the lowering links took the cake:

yes, they were replaced.

did the typical carb clean routine. these had never been apart as evidenced by the caps still on the fuel screws.

as a side note, these didnt have overflows fromt he factory, so i added some. I know, great design, right?  :whatever:

then, i got it running, and not only caught it on fire (SOME LEAVES ON TOP OF THE HEADER)  and sprung a waterleak AT THE SAME TIME.  :eek:

SO, after getting all that sorted, new hoses, new rear coolant log, thermostat, carbs dialed in, coolant flush, oil change, leaf removal.

got the front cage off, used an old vetter headlight as shown above, and settled on roll bar mounts for the headlight ears:

got soem round bar adapters and fit a set of protaper bars and cheesy red grips yesterday. Now i need to line the tank, fit and wire the gauge, new tires and its pretty much road ready to test. BUT, it fires right up and everything works beautifully, sounds really good actually.

Czakky

Those lowering links!

Ive got those same roll bar mounts as headlight ears on my daily Guzzi Lemans! I've had em on for atleast two crashes and 30k+ miles.

The Connie is a sweet Zen machine.

m in sc

small update:

thanks.

All in one cheapie gauge added and wired, everything including fuel gauge works. I actually had to repair the sending unit, the brass strip from the contact to the wire tot he rheostat winding was broken at the bottom (no pics). that took a while to find.

Have a traitech tto digital water temp gauge coming as well, they are small so will mount behind the brake master. should be here Monday or Tues.

as far as the gauge mount, i ordered a shaft collar from McMaster, 1 1/8" id, milled one side flat, drilled and tapped 2 m5 holes. then the plate is just sheet 6061 i have many sheets of., traced the shape i want, cut it with the beverly shear, drilled the 2 mount holes and countersunk, and finished off with a dyna file and painted black.  its bent not because of a miscalculation, but there's a button on the back that needs to be accessible for setting up and the tripometer.  also allows for access to the clamp allen bolt to loosen the clamp and rotate gauge.

I'll draw up and 3d print a small shield for the gauge to keep the sun glare down later.

new rear tire as well, and swapped on the later chrome mufflers i had as spares as they were in much better shape than the ones on the bike cosmetically.

quocle603

those things are sweet! I love how they are a cross between a few styles of riding.
Do not underestimate the power of a two-stroke.

1975 Yamaha RD350 (modified), 1973 Yamaha RD350 (stock), 1971 Suzuki T500, 1981 Yamaha XS650 HS2, 1982 Honda MB5, 1980 Puch Maxi, 1979 Puch Magnum, 1993 Tomos Bullet, 2003 Malaguti Firefox F15 LC

m in sc

well,it was the original sport tourer. no doubt in my mind same design team did the ex250.  some things leave a LOT to be desired but they are ok.

SoCal250

Those "custom fabbed" lowering links are hilarious.  :eek:

Looking good! :clap: I like your gauge mount. What a transformation from when you picked it up
75 Yamaha RD125B   75 Yamaha RD125B (project)
75 Yamaha RD250B   75 Yamaha RD200B (project)
73 Yamaha RD350     77 Yamaha RD400D   79 Yamaha RD400F  
91 Yamaha TZR250R  89 Yamaha FZR400   05 Yamaha FZ6   
05 Yamaha XT225TC  82 Honda MB5  02 Aprilia RS250 Cup (sold)