News:

Deals Gap Parking lot triage, looking at sunroofed #2:

This year:  May 5-12th.  25th year!
(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

Royal Enfield Interceptor: Good, Bad or Otherwise?

Started by Striker1423, July 19, 2019, 08:17:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Should I consider a new RE Interceptor as a decent every day bike?

Yes
4 (40%)
Absolutely not
2 (20%)
Maybe?
3 (30%)
Wtf is a Royal Enfield?
1 (10%)

Total Members Voted: 10

Striker1423

Well ladies and gentlemen,

I'm considering a 2019 Royal Enfield interceptor. It just has the look,  o bells and whistles, but is fuel injected, and has ABS.

Its around 7200 out the door from the local dealer and no I havent sat on it, just stood next to it and admired. This is the reason I wanted to out my old RD in the show. To get a look at these new bikes. It oozes awesome to me. Reliability would be there, etc.

Should I have my head examined or os a second ready to ride bike ok?

AAAltered

I had an 04 Bullet, which was a blast around town.  Haven't seen a twin in person yet but they look good. 

My Bullet was reliable, contrary to reports.  I did all my own wrenching, I don't recall it ever letting me down.  Good luck keep us posted...

1971 R5
1976 RD200
2022 Moto Guzzi V7 850 Special

m in sc

i'm actually on the RE owners group on FB for over a year, just lurking. mostly because i've always been curious about them. they, as a whole, seem to be very hit and miss quality wise. Me? id l'd get a used one with all the bugs worked out from an older guy that didn't hack it. id never buy one new. they do intrigue me, i'll probably own a single RE one day, just because.

AAAltered

Not to jack Strikers thread, but here's what you need to know about singles.  My 2004 was the original design from 1955 (roots to 1939)  iron barrel, carbureted, 4 speed Albion box (1930s design)  By 05 they introduced an updated engine and 5 speed.  Some time after that came unit construction, electronic ignition and fuel injection.

Mine was an electric start, which was introduced as an option around 2000.

There is a tremendous aftermarket although I'm not very informed on the later versions. 

Point is if you want SIMPLE stay with the pre 2004.  They can be had cheap, and usually low miles because buyers often didn't realize they needed to know what end of a Whitworth spanner they needed to use.  As stated I did 100% of the maintenance.  Points, valves, oil changes, shifter updates, exhaust, air box mod, jetting etc etc (they run Mikuni VM28's lol)

Ed
1971 R5
1976 RD200

Organicjedi

The 650 twin is intriguing to me. Curious to see prices and how they hold up once they start hitting the second hand market.

I suspect they won't be beaten up either. I get the feeling that their owners will baby them vs a rocket or dual sport which many are ridden hard and put away wet.

Also curious on how their singles compare to a newer SR quality wise.

m in sc

do what i did, join the RE owners group on fb. these guys are pretty open about stuff falling off, failures, etc. Not in a bad way, i think they find it comical. 

~JM~

Saw one (single cylinder model) once at a popular rest spot along Highway 30. They're cool! Owner was 50-ish years old I'm guessing. He sounded pleased with the bike. If I recall correctly he had one problem with a valve spring retainer popping loose. He was able to repair it alongside the road with the OEM tool kit. That was his only complaint about the bike. I own a Honda FT500 Ascot. I suspect the engine performance is probably about the same.

thatguy

"Don't be too timid and squeamish about your actions. All life is an experiment." – Ralph Waldo Emerson

AAAltered

Quote from: thatguy on July 19, 2019, 01:31:12 PM
I'd buy one of these first.

That's a Carberry, quite rare.  You *CAN* get a VTwin "991 Musket"....

http://www.musketvtwin.com/

I met Aniket on a Musket at Mid Ohio a few years back.
1971 R5
1976 RD200

thatguy

I spoke with Paul Carberry via e-mail. He said he'd ship to the US but cost would be prohibitive. I'd love to have one because that's my last name as well. And it's just old school cool too. You're looking at $15-18K USD and the attending nightmare of registration. Better to import a used bike.
"Don't be too timid and squeamish about your actions. All life is an experiment." – Ralph Waldo Emerson

Old Brit

thatguy

Ah ya can't take it with ya. You only get one shot at life enjoy it.  ;D

m in sc

i saw those, very vincent-esque. i cant imagine dealing with it though.

thatguy

Definitely a Sunday ride kinda bike. Certainly not a daily unless you're trying to relive the '50s.

dgorms

Striker, a fellow VME member just bought a Continental GT, says it's the smoothest twin he's ever rode. He has a few thousand miles on it and has nothing but praise for it. He opted for one of the optional seats (not sure which one) and loves it! BTW the horn is F#####G LOUD!

Dennis
rz,r5,ds7,srx,fzr400rr,vfr,cl77,s90, F-7,CL 77, CA-77,ad infinitum