Previous topic - Next topic

Evans Ward

Congrats- always a great feeling!  :metal:
1984 Yamaha RZ350
1976 Suzuki GT750
1972 Kawasaki H2 750 Mach IV

pdxjim

Thank you, Sirs.

Hearing the bike run is always the best motivator to finish.  Elephant in the room is the paintwork, and I'm just not sure how to get around this one as it's way too cold to rattlecan out in the garage, and I just bought my season pass for snowboarding, so the wife just rolls her eyes when I ask for funds allottment for a proper pro paint job. :whistle:

This first start up is off a hanging IV style fuel bottle (can also be seen in the background) with 50:1 premix from my KTM (and leaf blower).

After holding the pump full open on tickover to fill the lines, I was left with a big air bubble at the tank line high-point, so I ended up back filling the line using a big 150ml "livestock syringe" from the local farm store.  It worked perfectly and was cheap as.

Next step is setting idle and balancing the carbs while I wait for the filters.

Setting the idle looks to be a right pain with these janky plastic idle screws and awkward access to the right hand carb.
Wasting time on 2T forums since the dawn of the internet. '89 TDR250, '13 300xcw, '19 690smcr, '56 Porsche 356A

pdxjim

Well, it got me around the block a few times, and I didn't have to push it home.

I'd consider that a success.

Jetting is off.  Lots of clutch slipping needed to get off the line. Will wind in the air screws a bit.  Feel good and pulls hard when on the pipe.

Trans is a little.... I dunno what's going, on but I think it's the linkage.

Petcock leaking where it mounts to the tank.  Any tricks for this?

Pipes sound awesome but are loud AF.
Wasting time on 2T forums since the dawn of the internet. '89 TDR250, '13 300xcw, '19 690smcr, '56 Porsche 356A

rodneya

Quote from: pdxjim on November 27, 2020, 07:24:27 PM
Well, it got me around the block a few times, and I didn't have to push it home.

I'd consider that a success.

Jetting is off.  Lots of clutch slipping needed to get off the line. Will wind in the air screws a bit.  Feel good and pulls hard when on the pipe.

Trans is a little.... I dunno what's going, on but I think it's the linkage.

Petcock leaking where it mounts to the tank.  Any tricks for this?

Pipes sound awesome but are loud AF.

Shifting could be linkage or the eccentric screw adjustment.
I used a cork type fuel resistant gasket material between the tank and petcock to get mine to stop leaking

85RZwade

Does your valve have a gasket or an O-ring? I just received one from HVC that seals against the tank with an O-ring.
I post waayyy too much

pdxjim

Quote from: 85RZwade on November 27, 2020, 09:35:47 PM
Does your valve have a gasket or an O-ring? I just received one from HVC that seals against the tank with an O-ring.

O'ring.

New valve, o'ring, fiber washers, etc.

Seems to have stopped leaking now all the rubber bits are swole up.

85RZwade

One problem down, then! No rain in the forecast until Monday, so you can work on jetting and shifting  :vroom:
I post waayyy too much

pdxjim

Quote from: 85RZwade on November 28, 2020, 09:39:27 AM
One problem down, then! No rain in the forecast until Monday, so you can work on jetting and shifting  :vroom:

Ugh.  Rained last night and streets are very leafy, wet and muddy.

I can play around with the bodywork.  Got a fresh coat of Krylon on last night 🤣

Woods riding in Hood River tomorrow  :metal:

85RZwade

That's a better plan!
I post waayyy too much

pdxjim

Quote from: 85RZwade on November 28, 2020, 06:48:06 PM
That's a better plan!

Got it out and did another heat cycle in the driveway. 

Low speed running feels much better with the airscrews wound in half a turn to 1 out.

Jetting specs I got were for CA in the summer +/- 75*. 

It's 42* and rainy here now, and will be for the next five months.  :bang:

Still need to get the title sorted too.

85RZwade

Don't stereotype PNW weather like that. It'll get colder than 42*...
I post waayyy too much

pdxjim

RDFL

Looks good all white, the blue dots pop.

Kawtriplefreak

pdxjim

Current state of things.

Finally got jetting close enough for a proper ride.  Currently at 50, 1.5 turns, N68A #3, 165.  Still a bit hollow right off the line, so will wind in the airscrews half a turn, and if that don't fix it I'll go up to 52 pilots.  Pulls hard on the needles and mains, but not done a proper plug chop, so don't know for sure where it is.  Feels VERY strong tho, and expecting some good numbers once I have it run in enough to go on the dyno without fear it'll self-destruct. 

Bit of an OH SHIT moment, as the rotor nut and rotor came loose and made a horrendous racket after a particularly spirited run up the main street a block over.  Thankfully it's an easy fix, and the crank keyway, taper and threads are without damage.  Will get the rattle gun out and get 'er on there good and tight.