News:

Mat Oxley 1986 IOM TT

click above to read more about Mat.

Main Menu

4U0regon

Started by pdxjim, February 10, 2019, 06:21:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alain2

Amazing job on the blasting, I wish someone around here would offer the service.
1973 RD350, 1977 RD400, 1979 RD400, 1980 RD400, 1985 MJ50, Goped Zenoah 30cc.

m in sc

sweet! looks great.

yeah, those balls need to come out for cleaning, no matter what you clean them with on the carbs. or fit some 'aircooled' 28's

id suggest a zeeltronic to control the timing a bit, will def help with the midrange, especially with ported LC cyls. Ive done a few bikes with lc topends as you know, and that was the biggest thing that helped the mids.

pdxjim

Quote from: m in sc on March 26, 2019, 10:07:15 AM
sweet! looks great.

yeah, those balls need to come out for cleaning, no matter what you clean them with on the carbs. or fit some 'aircooled' 28's

id suggest a zeeltronic to control the timing a bit, will def help with the midrange, especially with ported LC cyls. Ive done a few bikes with lc topends as you know, and that was the biggest thing that helped the mids.

Do you fit set screws in place of the ballz after cleaning?  Do they need to be brass?

What's the deel with the Zeel?  There are three separate components.  Do I need all three for the basic kit?

Wasting time on 2T forums since the dawn of the internet. '89 TDR250, '13 300xcw, '19 690smcr, '56 Porsche 356A

m in sc

you can tap them to m4 and fit brass plugs. just short tap them so they 'stop' in place. should only need one box for the zeel, ive run 3 of em on bikes.

pdxjim

Quote from: m in sc on March 26, 2019, 01:09:11 PM
you can tap them to m4 and fit brass plugs. just short tap them so they 'stop' in place. should only need one box for the zeel, ive run 3 of em on bikes.

So, for set curves, do I just use the Zeel CDI box (CDI-RD7) and everything else stays stock?

... and if I want programmable, upgrade to VCDI-04 with the handheld programmer?

Wasting time on 2T forums since the dawn of the internet. '89 TDR250, '13 300xcw, '19 690smcr, '56 Porsche 356A

m in sc

boars

That's a nice looking bike - and the blasting result makes me want to get mine done - just need to find someone who does that in Brisbane.

Very slick.

tony27

Quote from: boars on March 28, 2019, 02:46:10 AM
That's a nice looking bike - and the blasting result makes me want to get mine done - just need to find someone who does that in Brisbane.

Very slick.
Look on the OZVMX forum & you'll find some recommendations for vapour blasting in the Brisbane area. Getting to be go to finish on dirt bikes as well because as well as looking like new it seems to be very stain resistant unlike bead blasting

pdxjim

Quote from: tony27 on April 01, 2019, 11:19:52 PM
Quote from: boars on March 28, 2019, 02:46:10 AM

Very slick.
Look on the OZVMX forum & you'll find some recommendations for vapour blasting in the Brisbane area. Getting to be go to finish on dirt bikes as well because as well as looking like new it seems to be very stain resistant unlike bead blasting

It's true!  The VB process peens the surface of cast ally and seals the pores.  Dry glass beads do the opposite.

pdxjim

Progress report:

Bottom end is complete and back together.  New clutch, new Garrett crank, new rods, etc.   Buuuut ... I'm gonna crack it open and replace the (allegedly shitty) Yambits pattern crank seals with genuine Yamaha.   Sidecovers have been blasted and are ready for paint.

Cylinders and heads are on the way to Chuck for skim/squish/o-rings and "update porting" and intake mod for Vforce yz85 reeds

Reeds, and intake boots are here.  pwk28s should be here tomorrow.  ProX pistons on order.

R1 blue spots are here.  Adapters from NK Racing I. The UK on order.  Will get brake lines made next week here in town.

Father's Day saw me wrestling the BT45s on, but bead is refusing to seat all the way on both wheels.  Pumped up to 50psi and sitting in the sun and beating the sh!t out of em with a mallet but no luck.

Anyone know a better way?

robakun

not a 100 rear tire huh...

Barrie

Let the tyres back down ,push them off the bead and put some tyre soap onto the rims to lube this should help them seat correctly
I can't fix stupid , but I can give it a bill !

pdxjim

Custom aluminum 520 LC sprox from PBI here in Portland.

Unfortunately not an "off the shelf " item, no matter where you look.

pdxjim

Money goes out, parts come in.

New repop LC tank, clutch pusher rod, clutch holder tool, footrest rubbers, LC front master rebuild kit and lever, RZ crossover tube and clips ... etc.

... and bottom end is back together again after swapping out the Yambits crank seals for genuine Yamaha ones.  FYI, THEY ARE THE SAME FCUKING SEALS!!!. 

Cyls an head are on the other side of the country getting Supertuned.

Will be working on painting sidecovers this week.

Evans Ward

Moving forward at a good pace. Rock on and keep at it!  :metal:
1984 Yamaha RZ350
1976 Suzuki GT750
1972 Kawasaki H2 750 Mach IV