This year:  May 5-12th.  25th year!
(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

The G3SS w cr motor.

Started by m in sc, August 07, 2019, 11:41:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

retaRD

Quote from: m in sc on August 12, 2019, 12:37:39 PM

Nathan, anything i bring up there you have free reign to ride anyway. Next year will be the Grom for sure (as long as i get the 250 motor in it in time) and whatever else falls onto the trailer the day before. maybe the LC. Who knows.  :toot: :vroom: :nathan:

Deal.  You have free reign to my DVD collection.

m in sc

JA-Moo

Hey Mark, I bought a couple of the same headlights for my project bike. How is that working for you? :umm:

m in sc

John,

really good actually. david has had a pair on his XSR for over  a year and they are solid. they tend to 'spot light' a bit, 2 would be great on a bike, i just don't have room for 2.  But i have ridden the G3 at night at its very good.  :cheerleader:

JA-Moo

Awesome! And the spotlight was exactly why I did 2, and high beam also.  :righteous:

teazer

Fun little bike.  BTW the fairing is a copy of a Vic Camp Ducati 250 fairing I believe.  I don't recall ever seeing a Kreidler with that shape fairing.

Here's one for GFTP http://www.gftpstore.com/images/1323922311067-1369797543.jpeg

Anyone like to make a Van Veen Kreidler replica/tribute bike?  That could be a fun project. 

m in sc

its this fairing, heavily modified. When i originally bought it, it was listed as a kreidler fairing.

https://www.treatland.tv/fiberglass-full-race-fairing-racer-1-p/fiberglass-fairing-1.htm

beats me, but i had to modify it a LOT to make it work. Good info though  :toot: :patriot:. theres 3 variants of it on their site so who knows what the mold was popped off of.

teazer

I think that's why it was so large for a small bike.  It was designed for a Ducati single.  They are not small but they are a lot larger than a tiny Kreidler.

What I don't know is who designed the fairing and if Vic Camp and his race school were the first to use it.  Back in teh day there were companies like Mitchenall Brothers who made their own brand (AVON) as well as making fiberglass parts for others.  I think Bill Roberts was another.

It's possible that the original design came from Italy, but we'd need to ask someone on a Ducati Singles forum I guess.

m in sc

i actually had to widen it at the back and lengthen the nose out to clear everything. it was pretty small when i got it, considering i had to make it bigger to fit a G3, i was surprised. Im familiar with the 250-350 ducati singles, it may have fit but the fairing i have was pretty darn small out of the box.  beats me, all i know, i like it, it def works on the bike.  :haw:

teazer

And that's all that matters.  My CB77 used to wear a Rickman top half fairing and another one wore a TD1C fairing (slightly modified) and we have a pair of CB160 race bikes trying to hide behind RS125 Honda fairings. 

That's how things work.  We find parts that are almost what we are looking for and then we adapt them to make them work. 

I can't find a seat to modify to fit a Ducati ST3 but I know it's out there somewhere waiting to be cut up and modified.

On the RD350 drag racer, the tank cover was pulled off a slimmed down RD400 tank and side covers.

Almost anything is possible, and in the end, the only thing that matters is that the builder/owner likes it.

There are so many little bikes that could be turned into fun little screamers.  Thanks for sharing yours.

pdxjim

I you have any questions about vintage race bodywork, just call up at Bret at GFTP and ask him.

He is super friendly and just an all-around nice guy.
Wasting time on 2T forums since the dawn of the internet. '89 TDR250, '13 300xcw, '19 690smcr, '56 Porsche 356A

teazer

+1 to GFTP

I already have too many projects, but this thread has me thinking about a small 2 stroke project.  All I really need to start is title and frame and that can be modified to wrap around almost any fun two stroke single motor.  Just think.  Only one cylinder to port, only one head to machine, one crank throw to rebuild.

Compared to twins and triples, that's a very enticing idea.  Pity there's only about two bends in the road between here and the Canadian border, but for people with curves in the road, what better way to build something really fun.

m in sc

i love the small stuff for sure. that g3 is def a keeper.

I actually have bought some GFTP, great stuff and resource.

. keep in mind, when i did the G3, the intent was to look like it was period built and the rider lived out  of his van.  :dawg:

RDryan

Wow what an original creation. Very cool 8) :nana: :clap:

Is there a story about how you got that CR85 motor? Did it just fall into your lap and be like the perfect dimensions to fit into the frame? I guess I wonder if you could've put a 125 motor in it or maybe that would be just too big? :taz:

I think I recall seeing someone document a build on Youtube where he puts a CR125 motor in a Aprilia RS50.

m in sc

thanks. No i sought it out and bought it, and they aren't cheap complete, which kinda surprised me.  :eek: I looked for the most common one to get parts for, that was it. they use them in some kart racing from what i read, and new parts are everywhere.  I was thinking of going to go for a ktm 105 but wanted to keep it under 100cc.