Deals Gap Parking lot triage, looking at sunroofed #2:

This year:  May 5-12th.  25th year!
(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

The G3SS w cr motor.

Started by m in sc, August 07, 2019, 11:41:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

m in sc

lost the build thread ont he old site, but this started as a stock scruffy 71 G3ss and after getting tired of the trans problems and lack of power,  i stuffed a CR85 motor in it, then it got out of control.  :metal:

heres the current updates, dropped down to an 11mm master, redid the fairing stays, and changed out the led headlight. This is all powered by a 20v drill battery as theres -no- charging options for a cr85 motor.

this will do about 80 mph with me on it, thats a kreidler fairing from treatland.

new rods made, threaded the bar at the fairing end, welded m5 nut at top to hold in place at fairing, threads through screen shield.

gauge plate. hole to left if for headlight mode button, on way.

brake master off a kx 85, with hydraulic banjo brake switch

remade silncer tip out of stainless, also welded in nuts to can to use bolts instead of rivets.

cyglo mtn bike light for 'just in case' situations wher emore light is needed. this thing is stupid bright, ive actually ridden the gap, at night, with just this headlight.

prior to last round of mods, 2 weeks ago.

Gill

motodreams

That's dope.   What's power like on the street?  I want something like that for bumming around.

m in sc

its actually really good, took a while to get the gearing right. its geard tall enough to hit 80, but not be a pia to get off a light.  Initially, it would power wheelie in 3rd (pre fairing with renthals) but top out at 60. then, i went completely the other way and would do almost 90 but had to push off from a light. its much more rideable than one might think, better than i expected. its quick, thats for sure. Motor is rebuilt but stock aside from the v force reeds.  i dynoed it a few years ago, hit 19.9 at the rear wheel on a 95 degree day.

My grom broke a rod back in may, and its going to get a similar engine swap, but a suzuki LT250R motor. should be even more streetable.

PIOUGHD_RD350

Mmmmm, yummy!!!!
I really like this.
Mixing gas, and hauling a$$!!!
1975 Yamaha RD350 with LC top
2003 Derbi GPR50 with YZ125 motor
1989 Yamaha YSR50 1978 Puch Magnum 2018 Tomos Sprint 2005 Yamaha Zuma

Czakky

Not sure how I missed this on the old thread. Bravo head honcho!

SoCal250

That thing is so cool! :metal:  Love the 70s color theme on it. How did you find a fairing that matched? Did Kreidler just happen to have nearly the same colors/graphics?
75 Yamaha RD125B   75 Yamaha RD125B (project)
75 Yamaha RD250B   75 Yamaha RD200B (project)
73 Yamaha RD350     77 Yamaha RD400D   79 Yamaha RD400F  
91 Yamaha TZR250R  89 Yamaha FZR400   05 Yamaha FZ6   
05 Yamaha XT225TC  82 Honda MB5  02 Aprilia RS250 Cup (sold)

m in sc

Quote from: SoCal250 on August 08, 2019, 01:30:38 AM
That thing is so cool! :metal:  Love the 70s color theme on it. How did you find a fairing that matched? Did Kreidler just happen to have nearly the same colors/graphics?

Thanks guys.   :toot:

i wish it came that way.. wasn't even close, (which is fine) i had to section the sides and add about 4" (under the clipons its longer). after i cut the sides out a bit, i used that fiberglass to lengthen it, theres a support plate glassed in behind the skin as well. so, the sides were brought way up, long narrow part was lengthened , bottom was widened. the core of it was the right size, thats why i went that way.

My goal was to make it match the original paint, so i had the local body shop match the yellow color to the side-cover, and i sprayed it. then i did an intentionally rough paint job, including the sloppy stripe, to look like ' a guy that basically lived in his van and raced it, around 1975' look. it was harder than actually stripping everything and doing a pretty paint job. well, more time consuming.

as i received it: (it was brand new)

test fitment pre cut:

sprayed and cut (i painted the base yellow as well)

intentionally crappily laying out the stripes  :haw: 

SoCal250

Quote from: m in sc on August 08, 2019, 08:34:55 AM
i wish it came that way.. wasn't even close, (which is fine) i had to section the sides and add about 4" (under the clipons its longer). after i cut the sides out a bit, i used that fiberglass to lengthen it, theres a support plate glassed in behind the skin as well. so, the sides were brought way up, long narrow part was lengthened , bottom was widened. the core of it was the right size, thats why i went that way.

My goal was to make it match the original paint, so i had the local body shop match the yellow color to the side-cover, and i sprayed it. then i did an intentionally rough paint job, including the sloppy stripe, to look like ' a guy that basically lived in his van and raced it, around 1975' look. it was harder than actually stripping everything and doing a pretty paint job. well, more time consuming.

Bravo! :clap: You had me fooled. That looks like an old 2nd hand fairing that just happens to match. You did an awesome job making it appear to be authentic 1970's!   :affirmation:  It looks really good on there with the mods and paint match.

You need to make a "Haase Hall of Fame Builds" post on here with the best photo of each of your memorable builds. Like the one with the simulated wood paneling, and the lightweight, the Ninja, the RD LC-conversion, and so on.
75 Yamaha RD125B   75 Yamaha RD125B (project)
75 Yamaha RD250B   75 Yamaha RD200B (project)
73 Yamaha RD350     77 Yamaha RD400D   79 Yamaha RD400F  
91 Yamaha TZR250R  89 Yamaha FZR400   05 Yamaha FZ6   
05 Yamaha XT225TC  82 Honda MB5  02 Aprilia RS250 Cup (sold)

retaRD

I was hoping this was a for sale thread.

:haw: 

m in sc

noooooo sorry nathan., you can ride it when you come visit your mom.  :devil:

retaRD

Quote from: m in sc on August 11, 2019, 11:03:51 PM
noooooo sorry nathan., you can ride it when you come visit your mom.  :devil:

It's way more fun to ride it here though.

m in sc

ive never seen that pic, sweet.

:clap:

Nathan, anything i bring up there you have free reign to ride anyway. Next year will be the Grom for sure (as long as i get the 250 motor in it in time) and whatever else falls onto the trailer the day before. maybe the LC. Who knows.  :toot: :vroom::nathan:

SUPERTUNE

Such a killer custom build Mark!
Is that a Honda stocker on the screen?
C
RD machine work, boring, porting, cranks and engine building.

Chuck 'SUPERTUNE' Quenzler III
Team Scream Racing LLC
1920 Sherwood St. STE A
Clearwater, FL. 33765
cqsupertune@tampabay.rr.com

m in sc

thanks chuck. yup, it is. well was. it started lifting to o peeled it off, but im going to get a wing decal for it somewhere.