News:

Mat Oxley 1986 IOM TT

click above to read more about Mat.

Main Menu

Powerdynomo CDI upgrades and install (Vape)

Started by SUPERTUNE, August 11, 2019, 09:07:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Czakky

I hope I make the Supertune video library next spring. :clap:

rd400greenhorn

thanks a million chuck, i will try to follow this on a few weeks when i hopefully get the ignition done.

Baldwin53

Chuck, it was good to visit with you last week. I am always impressed by the depth of your knowledge and the meticulous care you take with everything you work on. It has been further demonstrated by the time and detail that you put into this post that unselfishly helps everyone else.
Good job my friend!

SUPERTUNE

Quote from: Baldwin53 on August 13, 2019, 02:49:52 PM
Chuck, it was good to visit with you last week. I am always impressed by the depth of your knowledge and the meticulous care you take with everything you work on. It has been further demonstrated by the time and detail that you put into this post that unselfishly helps everyone else.
Good job my friend!
Thanks for the nice comments sir.
It's all about US, not just me, the 2 stroke community is all about friends, family and loving our dream bikes!
C
RD machine work, boring, porting, cranks and engine building.

Chuck 'SUPERTUNE' Quenzler III
Team Scream Racing LLC
1920 Sherwood St. STE A
Clearwater, FL. 33765
cqsupertune@tampabay.rr.com

paul1478

Quote from: Baldwin53 on August 13, 2019, 02:49:52 PM
Good job my friend!

Well said Sir!
76 Team Scream RD400
1993 FJ1200
2006 Goldwing
2022 Ducati V2 Panigale

AtLarge

1973 Honda CL70-K3
1975 Kawasaki 350 F9-C
1994 BMW K1100RS
2023 Honda CRF300L Rally ABS

SUPERTUNE

Here's some Extra Info from members here on the relay setup wiring I added...Chuck
Thank's guys!   :clap:

Comments from DVSRD...
Use a regular automotive 5 pin relay. Connect the blue wire to pin 30. Connect pin 86 AND 87A to ground. Connect the original 12 volts supply to the stock coils to pin 85. Then it works.  Pin 87 is NOT used!
Comments from m in sc
#30 and #85 should go to ground  (30 is to operate the relay - power feed, 85 is 'signal' the coil receives)
#87a should go to the blue coil wire (this is the normally closed pin, this grounds with lack of power to the relay)
#86 should go to 12v switched power (this is what powers the relay when you turn the key on to unground the coil)
#87 is not used. (this is the normally open pin. do not use in this application)

Or as DVSRD stated, basically the same thing. MAKE SURE when you turn the key on the relay clicks. if it doesn't, check your 12v supply to trigger the relay, and the ground.

its literally a $10 retail part off the shelf.  its in the electrical /lighting aisle. But it has to be a 5 pole.

https://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/01/02/relay-case-whys-hows-using-relays-automotive-wiring/

Team Scream Racing LLC
1920 Sherwood St. STE A
Clearwater, FL. 33765

motulman

hey chuck its been a long time,  does this installation cover the daytona also?

SUPERTUNE

Quote from: motulman on July 07, 2020, 08:00:39 PM
hey chuck its been a long time,  does this installation cover the daytona also?
Pretty much the same as RD400's, the difference with a Daytona model is the headlight signal relay yellow wire from the stock stator.
I don't remember what I did exactly...I think I just may have jumped the relay in the headlight shell to turn on with the key and not use the relay.
Chuck

Team Scream Racing LLC
1920 Sherwood St. STE A
Clearwater, FL. 33765

motulman

thank you for your reply,  yea ill be on this installation for i bit i think

motulman

chuck what was the reason for the pookey on the gen wires?, did you shave the edge off the  stator mount where the wires go through?

motulman

hey chuck what do you do with the ballast resistor? is it used? its not mentioned in the vague instructions and i dont think you mentioned it either

m in sc

you dont use the 400 ballast resistor with the vape at all. you can use the unresisted feed wire into the resistor to power the relay.  the silicone on the back of the wires is to reduce vibration/chafing issues you may have.   :twocents:

motulman

Quote from: m in sc on July 18, 2020, 11:42:42 AM
you dont use the 400 ballast resistor with the vape at all. you can use the unresisted feed wire into the resistor to power the relay.  the silicone on the back of the wires is to reduce vibration/chafing issues you may have.   :twocents:
thank you so much m sc

motulman

so...you just bailing wire the other end of the coil?