This year:  May 5-12th.  25th year!
(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

2104 Grom.. 2t conversion

Started by m in sc, September 04, 2019, 11:36:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Czakky

:patriot:
I've got a motorcycle project (non 2t) that's been fighting me. I feel your pain, makes success that much sweeter.

I can't imagine too many bikes more fun than that.

85RZwade

From awshit to attaboy, that sounds sweet! Hope you get decent weather in the morning for a test ride...you DID bolt a wheelie bar on that little monster, didn't you?
Wade
I post waayyy too much

Kawtriplefreak

Kawtriplefreak

It sounds good. I had no idea those motors turned 10 grand

m in sc

i did get 2 test rides in yesterday. its definitely WAY better, and just the way is revved and rode def proves the timing was the cause.  and that's on me. 

The power delivery was VERY manageable, more so than I expected.  I didnt have a speedometer hooked up yet, i still need to mount a trigger and set it, but in 5th gear it just plows up a hill. The midrange is great. Im guessing on the 2nd ride i was doing somewhere around 75-80 at one point considering how fast i passed a few cars.

I definitely need to tune it some more, and rethink the kickstarter lever as starting it is really awkward, but  i can sort all that out.
water temps didn't go over 180 and the plug looked good, so, good progress so far.  :toot:

suey1958

Glad you got it sorted,...We knew you would  :clap:
Keep us posted !

Kawtriplefreak

m in sc

thanks guys.

small update. rain day mods. had to rework the angle on the kicker. its still a bit awkward but not nearly as bad. used the end off an old worn slap out and bent rd kicker to make it easier on my foot as well.  was slipping off and wheel was catching on passenger peg mount, was just terrible.

RDryan

Looks like you got sum of the plastics back on too. Really cool one of a kind bike, I thought of this thread as soon as I got online! :nana:

m in sc

thanks...oh, all the body work is done, has been for a month+. damn thing looks more factory than it did before for the most  part, aside from the pipe on the left. (the stock rear-sets make it look deceivingly stock from 10 feet off  :devil: )

RDryan

LOL that is such a riot. We gotta get those Grom designers to see this.... :dawg:

m in sc

so, an update.

haven't done a whole lot, but I finally found and ordered a stock CDI box for the LT250R. I wanted to get a baseline on the curve. 

well, hot damn. all of a sudden, the timing was WAY advanced. so, i moved the stator plate and pickup back to the middle of the stock slots. and, there it was, timing was spot on  :celebrate: . the aftermarket unit must have delayed the timing so much it was hanging back almost 17 degrees. which, is crazy, because thats how much i had to move the plate to get it right. .  Im a little surprised just a non programmable box could delay it so much.   So, my assumption the rotor was incorrect was, well, incorrect.
The downside is there is no aftermarket replacement for the box unless i go HPI full system.  So, i'm going to try top grab another spare unit -just- in case.  if the weather holds ill try to get soem test rides in this week. I also had to up the jets i had on hand, so i can actually dial it in.
:toot:

m in sc

and, 1st commute complete.  :cheerleader: :toot:

I added in a remote coolant tank last night, swapped in a speigler front brake line, and just tidied up this and that. Its really good but i need to absolutely need to go down on the rear sprocket.

1st  just runs out super quick, and i physically have the largest from sprocket on it i can fit.

coolant temps stayed around 140-150 on way in, might need to drop the main a touch as well, when you let down off the throttle at WOT a hair it picks up speed a bit.. Better to err on the side of rich but i have some legroom i think.

overflow, machined aluminum filter body we make at work, mounted tot he stock lower exhaust mount hole with a parker quick connect . breather tube at top. some rando clamp i had laying around, looks like an exhaust clamp for a 4 stroke.

sav0r

Boy, did that ever turn out nice!

You're going to have to sell a hkit!

edited; fixed those dumb fingers
www.chrislivengood.net - for my projects and musings.

Kawtriplefreak