Deals Gap Parking lot triage, looking at sunroofed #2:

This year:  May 5-12th.  25th year!
(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

HPI Install RD

Started by SUPERTUNE, October 28, 2019, 08:29:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SUPERTUNE

Finally got to the point where we know we are with timing scribe marks and ready to time this HPI up...

Video link:

https://imageevent.com/supertune/mikemrd350?p=38&n=1&m=-1&c=3&l=0&w=4&s=0&z=3

As you can see the timing at idle is very close to the 19*, just over 19* maybe 20*.
Then just under the 24* scribe at about mid range (aprox 3000-3500 rpms) then I rev it out and it actually swings below the 14* scribe at high rpms, so that's like a soft rev limit when the timing dumps out like that.
We'll know more once we get it out on the road.
RD machine work, boring, porting, cranks and engine building.

Chuck 'SUPERTUNE' Quenzler III
Team Scream Racing LLC
1920 Sherwood St. STE A
Clearwater, FL. 33765
cqsupertune@tampabay.rr.com

turtle

I want to thank Chuck for taking such good care of my bike.  Looking forward to getting it back and actually riding it..

https://kosonorthamerica.com/instructions/BA035120.pdf

Here at the instructions for the gauge. your going to have to change the signal setting for the tach to read correctly.  I was able to get a good reading with the dyna S.  the hpi is probably putting out a different signal.

SUPERTUNE

Quote from: turtle on October 29, 2019, 08:59:23 AM
I want to thank Chuck for taking such good care of my bike.  Looking forward to getting it back and actually riding it..

https://kosonorthamerica.com/instructions/BA035120.pdf

Here at the instructions for the gauge. your going to have to change the signal setting for the tach to read correctly.  I was able to get a good reading with the dyna S.  the hpi is probably putting out a different signal.

I had texted Mike as the tach is reading at 3000 not 1500 like the dyna at 1 signal pulse per crank rev and now the HPI is a wasted spark at 2 signal pulse per crank rev.

It sounds great!  :clap: Starts very easy for a magneto! :toot:

Video link:

https://photos.imageevent.com/supertune/mikemrd350/20191028_214026.mp4

Team Scream Racing LLC
1920 Sherwood St. STE A
Clearwater, FL. 33765

SUPERTUNE

Because this is all new for me and most of you guys...my question is the charging system and the way I wired up the bike going to work well enough as it came?

Here's the wiring schematic that came with it.

With this being a magneto it's like the vape/powerdynomo setup but much smaller and lighter.
The magneto runs the ignition and then the charge coils puts out the ac to the rectifier/voltage regulator to charge DC to the battery.

I have it wired as DC and using a battery.

I think it's going to be ok, just barely. It is rated for 60w? Maybe if it gets re wired to 2 wave charge?
I have it setup on single wave as they come at the stator. The purple and yellow are jumpered together just as the diagram shows.

It's a bit long...

With the lights on... it's maintaining 12.6v
With them off it goes up to 13.2v
I might recheck them with my fluke meter.

https://imageevent.com/supertune/mikemrd350?p=19&n=1&m=-1&c=3&l=0&w=4&s=0&z=3

Team Scream Racing LLC
1920 Sherwood St. STE A
Clearwater, FL. 33765

m in sc

that seems about right. its 60 w dc. drop an led tailight on it and you will have room to spare, but, it should be ok as it is.

not being familiar with the gauge, i used to have to set other digital gauges to a '4 cyl'. (automotive type bias).

turtle

tail light bulb is already an LED.

m in sc

should be fine then. the amperage would be the issue, seems like its covered.  you're going to love that ign, it revs so fast.  :celebrate:

Czakky

Where did you get that regulator? Is it a reg/rec?

turtle

Quote from: Czakky on October 29, 2019, 11:34:31 AM
Where did you get that regulator? Is it a reg/rec?

I had to order it separate from treatland... was around 70.00$$

quocle603

Just spoke to Benji at treats today. He will be getting some more in a few weeks. Mentioned that its generating a lot of interest amongst this forum. He said that he is excited to hear that and will keep me posted on this.

Do not underestimate the power of a two-stroke.

1975 Yamaha RD350 (modified), 1973 Yamaha RD350 (stock), 1971 Suzuki T500, 1981 Yamaha XS650 HS2, 1982 Honda MB5, 1980 Puch Maxi, 1979 Puch Magnum, 1993 Tomos Bullet, 2003 Malaguti Firefox F15 LC

m in sc

i asked him to be a vendor, offered a section. he said not yet.  :whistle:

SUPERTUNE

Internet down...on my phone right now.
Mike,
If you can post part #'s of this cdi and the extra rectifier / regulator would be great!
Chuck

Team Scream Racing LLC
1920 Sherwood St. STE A
Clearwater, FL. 33765

Evans Ward

Treatland has some pretty good discounts too periodically with coupons they email you if you get on their mailing list. I joined a couple yrs ago when I purchased a couple of Honda MB5's but no longer have them (sold) but stayed on the mailing list. Can save you some good $ to use in other areas.
1984 Yamaha RZ350
1976 Suzuki GT750
1972 Kawasaki H2 750 Mach IV

turtle

Quote from: SUPERTUNE on October 29, 2019, 07:22:05 PM
Internet down...on my phone right now.
Mike,
If you can post part #'s of this cdi and the extra rectifier / regulator would be great!
Chuck

surething!!!! let me dig up my invoice.

turtle