Deals Gap 2024: Safety 3rd!

This year:  May 5-12th.  25th year!
(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

RD Monoshock ninja susp. swap

Started by RustyRD, December 15, 2019, 10:01:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RustyRD

OK, top triple clamp modified, removed the ninja handlebars and cleaned up the casting. Removed the key switch to allow room for new koso meter. Drilled for the risers, and then bead blasted the whole thing. installed an old drag bar that was lying around. The current setup feels really good, however I wonder if a bar like maybe the super bike style h-bar may be even more comfortable. Now I don't like the look of the front brake master cylinder. I hate it when that happens. Well the benefit of this mod is it will allow me to swap bars to suit my preference. Now should I powder coat gloss black of polish?

RustyRD

well I have confirmed to myself, I don't like changing tires. The things we do to save money :umm: Discovered another shift knuckle that fits our RDs. This is off a 02 honda vtr 1000

RustyRD

This is the VTR 1000 shift knuckle on the splines of the shifter shaft. Clean piece.

RustyRD

another good day for part arrival at home. UPS man is on a  first name basis with me, anyhow new handlebar and switch arrived along with the koso meter.

RustyRD

ok mounted the meter, I like the position of the supplied bracket positioning, but I feel like I want to locate it between the headlight and upper triple clamp to fill a gap.

NoRiders

Some solid progress, well done.

That speedo/info centre console looks a bit perched and vulnerable tbh.....I agree with you, tucked in front of the yokes, with the screen no higher than the bars, maybe a bit lower would look much slicker I reckon.

I too avoid home tyre changes.....paid too much for the wheels to be powedercoats just for me to scratch/chip them.....especially when the cost to repair outstrips the coast of having tyres fitted by the local shop!

m in sc

agreed, drop it down in front of the tree. easier to see there as well.  looks good, dig the wide bars.  :cheerleader:

RustyRD

Thanks guys, :clap:you have help with the decision. next stop down and in front of the triple tree.

m in sc

side note, angle it up and back some so as not to be blinded by a reflection (glare) in bright sunlight while riding. :twocents:

RustyRD

good thinking, I nee to fab up a simple aluminum bracket. I have left some of the  material that was used for the old switch mount just in case, glad I did now. I want to try an experiment with this tiny SLA battery. I feel like with the minimal amount of current draw this should do the trick. 1.4 lbs and small package it is meeting the criteria now. We shall see  :vroom:

NoRiders

Kickstart only, so long as it can handle the draw of headlight main beam, indicators and brake light on it'll be fine.

RustyRD

ok some voted for a different location than the supplied bracket allowed so I  whipped up a bracket to relocate the koso meter. Here are some before location and what will likely be its new position. Still need to do final finish on the bracket, however the basic mount is complete.

m in sc

RustyRD

Thanks, it fills the area between the headlight and triple tree looks more complete. need to complete the finish work on the bracket, now polish or satin or powder coat.

m in sc

its very clean.

IMHO, id counter sink the holes use some countersink bolts. just give it that extra   :bacon: