News:

Mat Oxley 1986 IOM TT

click above to read more about Mat.

Main Menu

72 R5, round 2.

Started by m in sc, November 28, 2020, 07:32:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RustyRD

Thats cool, sunny and 61 here in south GA. I found one of my old RDs on facebook but just cannot link up with the individual. Your bike looks good those engine covers look like they have been well taken care of. I am sure it will bring many hours of enjoyment.

m in sc

thanks. should be good.

I repainted both of them actually. just missing the decal on the oil pump side. that DID have an rd clutch cover on it.

a bit of history, back in around 03 or so i was going to use this as a track bike. had it set up as such, never did, put it back to relatively stock and sold it to Leo, added the disc for him later. Im glad i never got the track bug, especially on this one.

RustyRD

I have a line on a R5 with a 250 reed valve top end, you seem to be fond of the R5. What is your input on the R5.

Kawtriplefreak

85RZwade

How do those chambers sound? They look just right on there!
I post waayyy too much

m in sc

Quote from: RustyRD on December 21, 2020, 06:11:17 PM
I have a line on a R5 with a 250 reed valve top end, you seem to be fond of the R5. What is your input on the R5.

I like all yamaha twins. I always felt R5's looked better, hands down. Ive owned 4 total, 2 of which i currently now own, ive owned many more rds.

I mean, its essentially the same bike as an rd aside from obvious differences. smaler ones are the lack of a lower frame rail mount for the muffler, battery  box mounting and air box differences, and the motor and trans stuff. also the friction dampener, drum brake, etc.  however, an r5 can be turned into an rd pretty easily.

I liek the midrange pull of a piston port. easier to ride IMHO .  (stock to stock). an rd250 or 350 power is much more abrupt at 5500, as we all know, due to a slight dip before the harmonics get right , and most useful tuning,t o me, gets that smoothed out on a reeded motor. they got some of this sorted with the 400

but back to the R5.

My 70 is just a neat survivor, always runs well, I have -no- idea whats going on in the motor as ive never even pulled a head off.  its just a nice stock example of one thats a rider.

The 72 is going to obviously be more of a 'bridge', to me, between that and my 2 hot rodded rds, which are both a bit over the top. They both ride and run really well and can be used all day long believe it or not. I even took the lightweight out on a 4 hour group ride a few weeks ago. reliable as the day is long.   

The 72 has the basic upgrades the rds had, 6 speed transmission, disc brake, will get electronic ign (still on points now) and now, chambers.

I just like them like i would an RD. they tend to be thrashed less. Im quite fond of the RD250 top end, they make a really good amount of power and are often overlooked, but they have much more transfer area in the ducts than the 350s do due to the bore decrease.  That sounds like a cool project for sure. 

IF the r5 were my ONLY yamaha twin, id be tempted to fit reeded 350 cyls, for sure. But id def consider the one you are looking at with the 250 topend.

the beauty of an r5 is all the machanical shit for th emost part swaps, and rd support is strong.

RustyRD

your right as far as converting to rd, I Thank you for the input. The R5 is basically complete minus correct seat and side panel. engine is not seized however it has a RD 250 reed valve top end. Fellow is asking 550 for the bike.

m in sc

RDFL

If you don't let me know, not far from me.

RustyRD

OK I think you convinced me, It needs a lot but it is not a basket case. Now when I post pics of it no laughing....alright :whistle:

m in sc

Video of chambers with sound. Not dialed in , raining out right now.

dgorms

Rusty, buy it! I got side panels I'll give you..............................................................D
rz,r5,ds7,srx,fzr400rr,vfr,cl77,s90, F-7,CL 77, CA-77,ad infinitum

85RZwade

I post waayyy too much

RustyRD

Soon as I can catch him I will do it.  The R5 sounds great pipes have a deeper tone.   :celebrate:

Evans Ward

1984 Yamaha RZ350
1976 Suzuki GT750
1972 Kawasaki H2 750 Mach IV