Mat Oxley 1986 IOM TT

click above to read more about Mat.

Main Menu

Not Your Father's 400 - Honda CBR400RR

Started by The Red Scourge, August 13, 2021, 02:24:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Red Scourge

Quote from: Evans Ward on July 26, 2022, 09:36:06 AM
What did the brake caliper pistons look like? Was there any pitting on them? Were you able to find new seals too?

I decided not to replace the pistons at this time.  I'm planning to when I get the powder coated in the future.  They had some pitting, but just on the exposed area, nothing that touches the seals.  Replacement seals are available, but more of a pain in the ass than anything else.  Those same Nissin calipers got used for a lot of Honda sport bikes in the late 80's/early 90's (as well as a lot of others).  The thing that was tough is that no one seems to use a model number for the calipers (other than Nissin), so you have to search by bike model.  First generation CBR600 and CBR1000's used the same calipers, so that's what I used for the seals.  Different part numbers from Honda, but same dimensions.  I just don't know why they had to make it difficult.
'76 Yamaha RD400C
'71 Kawasaki G3SS
'88 Honda CBR400RR
'90 Yamaha FZR400/600 hybrid

rodneya

I just got seals for 3 pot tokiko calipers. Suzuki sells them for about 1/3 of what Kawasaki wants. Pretty sure other manufacturers used them as well. but nobody lists any caliper model info.

The Red Scourge

Quote from: rodneya on August 19, 2022, 10:17:46 AM
I just got seals for 3 pot tokiko calipers. Suzuki sells them for about 1/3 of what Kawasaki wants. Pretty sure other manufacturers used them as well. but nobody lists any caliper model info.

Yeah, I hate that.  There definitely a few sport bikes that ran 3 pot Tokicos.
'76 Yamaha RD400C
'71 Kawasaki G3SS
'88 Honda CBR400RR

busa1300

RZ350-RZV500R-TZR250RSP 3XV2
RGV250 VJ21 SP/VJ22 SP/VJ23 SP
RS250 for track - KD80 - JR50 for kids
https://youtube.com/@wedgehorsepower9869?feature=shared

IR8D8R

Nicely sorted 1989 CBR400RR (CB1 NC27) Tribute "restomod". $8800 Easley, NC

https://greenville.craigslist.org/mcy/d/easley-1989-honda-cb1-cbr400rr-tribute/7595402421.html.

Cosmetically very nice! I'm certainly no expert on these but it looks like someone's pandemic project. Not actually sure what makes this one a "tribute" other than paint. It has some non-original parts including R1 forks.

Possibly this should be in the Ebay and CL watch section but it seemed relevant to this thread.

Not my bike etc.

IR8D8R

The Red Scourge

Interesting bike for the right person.  It looks like a CB1 tribute to the CBR400RR.  For that price you could have one imported from the UK.  I'm not really digging the paint scheme personally.
'76 Yamaha RD400C
'71 Kawasaki G3SS
'88 Honda CBR400RR

The Red Scourge

Help me out here carburetor masters.  So the bike ran great after I cleaned the carbs, but they needed to be synced.  It sounded like a V Twin and not an i4.  I synced the carbs with the ol' homemade bottle method and it appeared to have even vacuum across all 4 cylinders once I adjusted them.  Now it bogs under load and I thought it was a fuel starvation issue at first because it only felt like a bit of a drop in power.  Now I can tell it's a full bog.  It even backfired when I revved it tonight.  Could any of these issues be caused by carbs out of sync or am I dealing with a different issue.  Any guidance would be appreciated.
'76 Yamaha RD400C
'71 Kawasaki G3SS
'88 Honda CBR400RR

m in sc

remember, 4 cyl sync as such:

one bank of 2, then the other bank of 2, then synch the 2 banks. ie:

synch 1&2 to each other. then 3&4 to each other.

then, sync left bank to the right bank w the 'middle' screw. it should literally take no more than 5-10 minutes.

sounds like a carbs starving. stock needles? if not, put them back in. also make sure the slides are all lifting on their own and retuning quickly.

The Red Scourge

Thanks, I'll check that the slides are lifting properly.  The sync procedure went pretty well.  I followed those steps, it's what's listed in the manual.  I haven't changed needles or jets since I've had it.  Most probable thing is that they're still out of sync.
'76 Yamaha RD400C
'71 Kawasaki G3SS
'88 Honda CBR400RR

The Red Scourge

Well I got it running.  I pulled the carbs and cleaned them again.  I'd been using months old gas.  I figured it'd be okay since it's non-ethanol.  Because I got lazy I wasn't using a fuel filter and it's also possible some manner of particulate got into the jets.  While I was there I decided to pull the spark plugs and make sure it wasn't ignition because it got to the point it wouldn't even fire.  Lo and behold cylinder 4 had no spark and weak spark on the other 3.  I cleaned 'em off as I didn't have time to go out and buy new plugs.  After that, it runs great!  It even sounds like the carbs are in sync.  Hopefully I can get a ride in tonight.
'76 Yamaha RD400C
'71 Kawasaki G3SS
'88 Honda CBR400RR

m in sc

The Red Scourge

Yeah, it's running pretty well.  The it hangs a bit when revved.  That'd indicate a lean condition, right?  Other than that, it rips!  I always forget how much that engine screams from 8-14,000 rpm.
'76 Yamaha RD400C
'71 Kawasaki G3SS
'88 Honda CBR400RR

m in sc

yup. typically at the pilot adjustment.

The Red Scourge

Quote from: m in sc on May 04, 2023, 10:04:52 AM
yup. typically at the pilot adjustment.

Ok awesome.  I'll start there.  It's the base setting of 2-1/4 (I think) turns out.
'76 Yamaha RD400C
'71 Kawasaki G3SS
'88 Honda CBR400RR