This year:  May 5-12th.  25th year!
(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

Off the Shelf RD350 fork brace?

Started by pdxjim, April 15, 2019, 06:09:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pdxjim

Does one exist?

Does the Lowbrow Customs XS650 one fit the RD forks?

What are my options?
Wasting time on 2T forums since the dawn of the internet. '89 TDR250, '13 300xcw, '19 690smcr, '56 Porsche 356A

~JM~

Tuck

Seizer

Quote from: pdxjim on April 15, 2019, 06:09:23 PM
Does one exist?

Does the Lowbrow Customs XS650 one fit the RD forks?

What are my options?

Got mine here:
Google says "permanently closed" but who knows? Website still active.

http://www.rswracing.com/rd350.htm

+1 (408) 840-1804

*edit: looks like he relocated to Oregon. How convenient for you Jim!

retaRD

I run the RSW.
It's a one piece brace so be sure to shim it to keep the fork sliders from binding.
Shim stock/slices of beer can work well.

SUPERTUNE

Go ahead and just order one, I have a few customers bikes I put them on. Nice stuff...
Chuck
RD machine work, boring, porting, cranks and engine building.

Chuck 'SUPERTUNE' Quenzler III
Team Scream Racing LLC
1920 Sherwood St. STE A
Clearwater, FL. 33765
cqsupertune@tampabay.rr.com

Seizer

Mine bolted right up. No shins and no binding. Love it.

AAAltered

Just for reference, here's an inexpensive brace for the R5/DS7...  I ran this until I installed a dampener.  It polishes nice and only cost a few bucks....

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NOS-Fork-brace-for-Yamaha-R5-350-motorcycle/223468539045?hash=item3407c34ca5:g:tzQAAOSwKO5bxmn6

Later, I switched to this dampener from Economy...

1971 R5
1976 RD200
2022 Moto Guzzi V7 850 Special

Tuck

retaRD

Quote from: Seizer on April 15, 2019, 09:43:04 PM

Higher quality braces are typically 3 piece, where the center piece bolts on with slotted holes to the fork slider brackets so the sliders ride naturally where they travel. 
I've installed two of these.  There was a small gap at the fork seal dust cap area where the inner side of the brace meets it.
When the brace was tightened the forks would bind pulling the legs in until the brace was loosened.
Others running this brace have had this issue as well, fixing it with some shim.

I'm not saying you're wrong at all, I'm saying maybe yours was made on a Monday and mine was made on a Friday...

Dvsrd

FFP have Tarozzi, but they never made one for the RD350. However, FFP have a list over dimensions, and some should be possible to adapt to an RD350, using spacer rings.
List is downloadable as a PDF at the bottom of this page: http://www.fastfromthepast.com/fork-braces

Seizer

Quote from: retaRD on April 16, 2019, 01:33:18 AM

Higher quality braces are typically 3 piece, where the center piece bolts on with slotted holes to the fork slider brackets so the sliders ride naturally where they travel. 
I've installed two of these.  There was a small gap at the fork seal dust cap area where the inner side of the brace meets it.
When the brace was tightened the forks would bind pulling the legs in until the brace was loosened.
Others running this brace have had this issue as well, fixing it with some shim.

I'm not saying you're wrong at all, I'm saying maybe yours was made on a Monday and mine was made on a Friday...

Umm...
Mine IS a 3 piece...
Looking at the link, the brace in the pic is a 3 piece design also 🤔

retaRD

Double post.

retaRD

Quote from: Seizer on April 16, 2019, 09:12:45 AM
Quote from: retaRD on April 16, 2019, 01:33:18 AM

Umm...
Mine IS a 3 piece...
Looking at the link, the brace in the pic is a 3 piece design also 🤔

Ok, yes, technically RSW is 3 pieces... but it's 1 solid piece BETWEEN the legs, non-adjustable. 
When I say "3 piece" I'm referring to the Tarozzi type braces, 3 main functional pieces. .

My point is RSW is not adjustable, and should be shimmed IF NEEDED to prevent stiction/seizure and excessive bushing and seal wear. 

Maybe you got a correct fitting one.  I know myself and others have had to shim it to function properly. 

m in sc

Quote from: AAAltered on April 15, 2019, 11:05:56 PM
Just for reference, here's an inexpensive brace for the R5/DS7...  I ran this until I installed a dampener.  It polishes nice and only cost a few bucks....

those were invented in the 70s for bikes with longer, choppered out forks to reduce twisting. a true brace ties the sliders together, just fyi.