This year:  May 5-12th.  25th year!
(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

To expansion pipe or not?

Started by bheezy27403, October 21, 2021, 09:39:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RDFL

I asked about RD400 swingarm got this reply----  Hi,
I built 10x about 11 yrs ago and it took 8yrs to sell them nowadays I have to build 20x usually per model to make it just under $1000 so I will need preorders before spending 10k on building the swingarms as I don't want to be stuck with 19 of them on the shelf.
If you really need one ASAP then I could build juts one ,price would be around 1200-1350 (130 per hr shop rate )
Thanks Chris

85RZwade

:jacked: 'Kay, so he says he needs 3-4 pre-orders to sit down at the welder. Let's get on this, folks; I know who has 350s, so don't make me name names  :help:
I post waayyy too much

RDFL

Quote from: 85RZwade on October 21, 2021, 05:49:45 PM
:jacked: 'Kay, so he says he needs 3-4 pre-orders to sit down at the welder. Let's get on this, folks; I know who has 350s, so don't make me name names  :help:
go here -  https://www.2strokeworld.net/forum/index.php?topic=3838.0

85RZwade

Ayup, similar to the response I got regarding pipes.

There's a CHANCE I may have gotten a little excited about this whole proposition...
I post waayyy too much

RDFL

Quote from: 85RZwade on October 21, 2021, 06:31:06 PM
Ayup, similar to the response I got regarding pipes.

There's a CHANCE I may have gotten a little excited about this whole proposition...
Did he give you a price on one set of pipes?

85RZwade

Nope, just the $130/hr rate if I want a set right away. Website has $449.
I post waayyy too much

Striker1423

Quote from: 85RZwade on October 21, 2021, 07:30:24 PM
Nope, just the $130/hr rate if I want a set right away. Website has $449.

So long as the preorder isn't charged until delivered, I might get in on it and help the cause Wade. Do I need 'em? No. But, it never hurts to have garage wall art until the time is right!

85RZwade

I tried to order a set using their online form, but it said it couldn't ship to my address. I emailed Chris and he told me about needing 3-4 orders; I think the site won't complete an order for something he doesn't have in stock. He has my email address, and now my buddy Denny's as a pre-order list. If you want to send him your email and what type of pipes you want, that'd be 3 sets... :whistle:
I post waayyy too much

m in sc

send him a link to this thread maybe?

bheezy27403

sooooo....it's sounding like I need to get some pipes. I put some on my Bonneville and nailed the jetting straight away. I hope I can duplicate that again!

I know it probably depends on the pipe, but, I would like a linear torque curve (at least as much as possible). I don't want to have to be WOT to experience gains. Possible?

m in sc

not quite that simple. take everything you know about 4 stroke tuning and throw it away. almost none of it applies here.

id strongly recommend a CDI before pipes in what you are looking for.  :twocents:

possible? yes. but it takes a bit of work top get  a 'linear' power band on a 2 stroke, particularly an RD. but to that point, my T500, 70 R5, and Grom with LT250 r motor achieve this but both are piston ports that don't rev over 8500.   and they also all have stock pipes.

bheezy27403

Quote from: m in sc on October 22, 2021, 12:47:00 PM
not quite that simple. take everything you know about 4 stroke tuning and throw it away. almost none of it applies here.

id strongly recommend a CDI before pipes in what you are looking for.  :twocents:

possible? yes. but it takes a bit of work top get  a 'linear' power band on a 2 stroke, particularly an RD. but to that point, my T500, 70 R5, and Grom with LT250 r motor achieve this but both are piston ports that don't rev over 8500.   and they also all have stock pipes.

What ignition do you reccomend?

m in sc

the Vape is a solid unit. its static timing curve, but you can use a zeel box later to add a curve.. or not. I have these on 3 bikes. https://www.economycycle.com/product-category/yamaha-rd250350400r5ds6ds7-parts/electrical-ignitions-lighting/ignition/cdi-ignition-systems-components/mzb-powerdynamo-zeeltronic-ignition-systems/

and, you dont need a battery to run with the vape. (added bonus). + more lighting wattage than you'll ever need.  my .02

also.. we get a forum discount.  :olaf: (s2w)

I also have an HPI cdi, which has a curve but not for the faint of heart for wiring & setup by comparison, its gets a bit more complicated. either way, its an overall improvement with any cdi.

NYSingh

Another consideration is what type of riding you do.  I live in the city I do mostly 20-30 mph riding, and to be honest, the chambers make it kind of a pain. I have to get up to 7k RPM to hit the powerband, so I'm constantly revving high to get it moving, then stop 10 seconds later at the next light/stop sign, meanwhile pissing off everyone on the street, scaring dogs, making babies cry, etc. I've never had stock pipes on my bike, but from what I've heard, they would've let me have just as much fun but at lower RPMs better suited for the city riding that I do.  But, if you're going to be riding at higher speeds for extended stretches, the relative lack of low end power might not be a big factor for you.

FYI if you go with the Vape, Chuck (SUPERTUNE) did a great write up that walks through the process in excellent detail. Even with my limited mechanical knowledge and skills,  I was able to use that to install it with no hiccups. http://www.2strokeworld.net/forum/index.php?topic=855.0
1976 RD400C (SpecII pipes, K&N Y-boot, Dave F Mod, Team Scream Racing Stage-1 Porting)
Moto Guzzi V7III

bheezy27403

Quote from: NYSingh on October 22, 2021, 02:05:17 PM
Another consideration is what type of riding you do.  I live in the city I do mostly 20-30 mph riding, and to be honest, the chambers make it kind of a pain. I have to get up to 7k RPM to hit the powerband, so I'm constantly revving high to get it moving, then stop 10 seconds later at the next light/stop sign, meanwhile pissing off everyone on the street, scaring dogs, making babies cry, etc. I've never had stock pipes on my bike, but from what I've heard, they would've let me have just as much fun but at lower RPMs better suited for the city riding that I do.  But, if you're going to be riding at higher speeds for extended stretches, the relative lack of low end power might not be a big factor for you.

FYI if you go with the Vape, Chuck (SUPERTUNE) did a great write up that walks through the process in excellent detail. Even with my limited mechanical knowledge and skills,  I was able to use that to install it with no hiccups. http://www.2strokeworld.net/forum/index.php?topic=855.0

That's my fear. I couldn't care less about crying babies but I don't want to have to live at he upper end of the tach to get power. Now, that being said, I think the peak power and torque stock is up @ 7k anyway but there is still usable power below that. I don't want to lose that. I'll grab a vape to start and make my decision on pipes after that.

Now, aluminum swingarm.....  :umm: