Yamaha SRX/RD Hybrid

Started by BlueR32, November 14, 2021, 05:57:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BlueR32

I found a local shop that does it:
http://www.vaporblastingnc.com/
Check out the Gallery for pics

BlueR32

I think this rear sprocket might need replacing. I've never seen one this bad before. There's a lot of red on this bike so I couldn't resist throwing in a pic of the "blue" in the garage :vroom:

rdshaw

It does not appear that your pipes will clear the tire unless you do some real fancyfabrication
It doesn't take me 8 hours to do a day's work

rodneya

m in sc

I mean... might as well take it all the way.  :dawg:

85RZwade

Don't forget the red sprocket nuts!
I post waayyy too much

BlueR32

A little more progress. Got the RD coils mounted up. Tested them and I have sparks so that's good. Carbs all cleaned up and mounted. Some more parts on the way so next steps will be replacing the points (badly pitted), setting timing, finish the oil pump install with new lines. Then a test start!

BlueR32

I've hit a snag with the build and I would appreciate some input. I was going to make an offset drive sprocket for the front to match up with the SRX rear. However when I mocked it up the clutch actuator mechanism will hit the chain. Not good. Looking into possibility of moving rear sprocket inboard about 10mm but that looks challenging. Ideas welcome!

NoRiders

Hmmm...?
Potentially a game of small gains. 10mm is a lot to move/alter one piece but maybe a few mm by primary, rear sprocket and possibly an engine shift by a few mm would see the chain align?
If there is some potential to offset primary 3mm?
Theres potential for the rear to be inset 3 mm* and shift the engine to the left 3mm.
Give or take there's your 10mm.
* watch out for chain to tyre clearance.
Thats all I got....good luck.

85RZwade

Space the engine cover and make a longer clutch pushrod, then go ahead with the offset sprocket?

Yeah, you'd have to do someting with the shift shaft, too.  :umm:
I post waayyy too much

elliottles1

hi,
looking at the very nice way that you fabricated the engine mounts it would be a shame to rip them apart to move the engine over 10mm. but would it be possible to machine 10mm off of the engine mounts on the engine and then slide the engine over on the bolts and use spacers in the other side?
i have built half a dozen hybrids and have always found that it is best to get the engine to line up rather than start spacing everything else. even if it means offsetting the engine by a small amount.
cheers
les.

BlueR32

Long way to go but taking shape!

BlueR32

Got the drive train lined up. Went the route of offsetting the rear sprocket in the end. Two perfectly good JT sprockets were butchered but everything lines up nicely with a 10mm spacer between them. In case you're wondering, the current rear tire is now rubbing the chain but it is way wider than it should be so that will be replaced with stock size (90/90-18).

m in sc

very cool. i would recommend welding that all together.  :twocents:

BlueR32

Slow going on the project lately due to life getting in the way, but did manage to work on the foot controls a bit. I had a set of rearsets left over from a GT750 project. I cut some new brackets from 1/2 inch ally plate. I didn't have to modify the hanging brackets on the chambers which was a bonus.