Deals Gap Parking lot triage, looking at sunroofed #2:

This year:  May 5-12th.  25th year!
(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

Trailer Rehab

Started by 85RZwade, March 01, 2023, 01:28:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

85RZwade

With all the house, garage, bike and mower projects, I needed something more to work on, so I bought a trailer. Needed something to haul riding lawnmowers from time to time, as many as four dirt bikes at a time and who knows what else? This was a Jayco tent trailer once upon a time, but now it's a 7' by 11' frame needing a deck. I am leaning towards wood, and a friend who works in a mill can get me free lumber with a catch: it's not long enough to run lengthwise. It's more or less 2x6 boards, but it's 3-ply laminate with a finished thickness of 2 1/8". So here's my question: is there any reason besides basic weirdness not to deck a trailer with boards running side-to-side? I'll have to buy lumber if I'm to run the boards lengthwise, and I'm notoriously thrifty, so the free boards are appealing to me. What does the hivemind think?

I post waayyy too much

soonerbillz

As cheap as steel is now I would wast my time with wood.

m in sc

weight. me? i'd use marine grade plywood.

pidjones

If you should consider Harbor Freight LED lights, they are pretty good, but DON'T USE THEIR WIRE!  It will rot out in a year.
"Love 'em all.... Let GOD sort 'em out!"

85RZwade

Quote from: soonerbillz on March 01, 2023, 07:20:02 AM
As cheap as steel is now I would wast my time with wood.
I have considered expanded metal, but it would need additional supports welded in (I just don't want to) and I like the idea of wood for aesthetics.
Quote from: m in sc on March 01, 2023, 11:13:33 AM
weight. me? i'd use marine grade plywood.

Hmmm...plywood, you say. Worth a thought.
Quote from: pidjones on March 01, 2023, 03:24:35 PM
If you should consider Harbor Freight LED lights, they are pretty good, but DON'T USE THEIR WIRE!  It will rot out in a year.
I looked at the offerings at HF and Tractor Supply and ended up buying a kit from Amazon. Was recommended, all LEDs and seems to be pretty decent quality.
I post waayyy too much

JBeasty

Your trailer is framed for the boards to run length wise. If you're keen on using the free wood, couldn't you just add one more wide metal brace in the middle and butt the ends of the boards together? You'd have a seam in the middle, but if it's bolted down good towards the ends it should work. You could even get fancy and put a length of T metal in the seam to cover it.
1977 RD400

85RZwade

Sometimes it takes just the right comment to get me to think about a thing a little differently. I just checked Home Depot's site and 12' 2x8s are $10 and change...about $120 to just shut up and buy new lumber. The problem is getting 12' boards home in my short bed Tacoma   :Clown:

I was just reading Tim's account of the 3-rail trailer he fixed up a year or two ago, and the discussion of bike placement caught my attention. I plan  to use my trailer for up to 4 dirt bikes at a time, sometimes just two or three, and sometimes a street bike or two. Is there a rule of thumb for loading to achieve an ideal or acceptable tongue weight?
I post waayyy too much

Kawtriplefreak

You need to have at least 60/40 weight distribution front to rear to prevent severe oscillation at speed. 60% in front of the trailer axle.

85RZwade

It's been a long time, but it finally has new tires under it, repacked bearings and enough lights to go to HD for lumber. I'm taking it to work tomorrow to straighten that bumper.
I post waayyy too much

dgorms

Wade, bring it up here, I'll deck it in two hours! Then we'll fill it up.
rz,r5,ds7,srx,fzr400rr,vfr,cl77,s90, F-7,CL 77, CA-77,ad infinitum

85RZwade

I sense an ulterior motive
I post waayyy too much