Deals Gap Parking lot triage, looking at sunroofed #2:

This year:  May 5-12th.  25th year!
(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

1985 Yamaha RZ350 Red/White/Blue Kenny Roberts Edition

Started by skyline, January 31, 2024, 03:45:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

skyline

In fall of last year, after about near completion of semi-restoring my brother's Suzuki RG500 Gamma (that's a topic for another day) I was already looking for yet another project.

There's something about being around motorcycles even if means not riding'em and killing time in garage more so in winters makes me calm. Yea, that's my drug of choice!!!

Being a Yamaha fan-boi (always had a special place for Yammies) I was looking for 2-strokers ONLY which means the TZ/RZ/RD projects. The Gamma project was so addicting that although I'm a guy of limited skill-set and worked with it's previous owner to get it going I was longing to get one myself (and kick myself EVERYDAY for I "almost" got one, but I needed a cage. You see the guy was selling his collection - 14 at one point with 2 or 3 Gammas). Maybe someday a RG500 or TZ750 will be on cards.

I started my moto-journey with lil 100cc 2-strokers and eventually graduated to a liter bike and onto a v-twin which are good in their own right but actually a BIG BUT ... lack the soul and smell (know what I mean). AND I've been in my younger years a fan of Wayne Rainey, Kevin Schwantz, King Kenny, Barry Sheene, Wayne Gardener ... who isn't. Someday I would like to shake hands with these legends sans Barry (RIP).

So for better or worse, I ended up with a basket case with an understanding that it's missing few parts and needs - paint job and motor work. Note that I've never seen a RZ350 before in person just all the hearsay.

So here it is ...

skyline

Moving on, though I had a good idea that with my skill-set (remember I told ya - it's limited) I hit snags earlier than expected.

Turns out that I got few missing parts:-
    a. The rear shock absorber is from a different bike think FJ/Maxim or similar. Showa as I remember.
    b. Missing the Speedometer assembly and it's bracket.
    c. Parts missing for steering damper (Only later on I came to know it's not even a factory part. One of those things you learn as you go).
    d. No kick stand, rear outer fender, Wind-shield and countless tiny parts mostly gaskets, seals, nuts, bolts .... the whole nine yards.

I got so dejected looking at 'few' missing parts that I left it as-is for a month or so. Than again, hesitantly decided to have it restored than doing myself (and with other things with life in general), so I called few people who can handle it but to my horror (nothing against them) the numbers I was given were too steep for my pocket. Plus I would be missing all the fun and what's the point on having others to do without even taking a fair shot.

So, I got onto shopping spree and some parts I got on with were:-
A rear shock and adjuster.
Speedometer assembly wth the bracket. Now that's an arm and leg these days.
I ended up with a used but clean steering damper. "MADE IN JAPAN" baby!
Kick stand from Europe
Rear outer fender and tool trolley from Europe
Wind-shield (USA made)

The more I looked the more was missing and I was having a nervous break-down since that is directly proportional to the budget. Talk about inflation!

Of course of next month or so, I got parts from Ebay, Facebook marketplace, Yambits and on this forum. BTW, spoke with amazing folks and was satisfying to know that I'm not only one with these addictions.

The most terrible was Footrest Bolt #90109-10754-00 for believe it or not a whopping $75 (about $28 or so for part itself and rest in shipping/handling from Germany). This was upsetting but then again I called few places around town and it seemed that no one had it in-stock and me being me was desperate.

The parts procured is documented with price and I kept an excel just as I did for Gamma. Maybe I'll post it here once I figure how to.

skyline

Speedometer completed and installed. I decided not to rollback.

skyline

One good thing I had with me was Ron, the guy working on motor. He's not only a seasoned mechanic but also had done a lot of similar work in few decades now. So he took upon himself to sort out the motor. As of this writing, it's about 80% or more complete.

Bottom-end (crank, bearings, etc) and top-end (along side piston honing) is done and just needs the oil and water pumps to go back on. So, we're almost there.

Next up, the paint-job. The guy has done work with me on the Gamma so I know his work top-notch I must say but with freezing winter we got a bit derailed with timelines. I hope to have to get it next next week.

While I was waiting on all these, I started looking at the parts daigram so much that I was able to sort out the basket case and do a trial run by putting suspension, wheels, wiring, etc together. Believe it or not, this was so gratifying to see that it's not that daunting as it seemed and I was finally getting somewhere.

And to give credit where it's due a HUGE help came in from these sources. THANK YOU!!!
Ken's Garage: https://www.youtube.com/c/KensGarage1
powervalve pete's garage: https://www.youtube.com/@powervalvepetesgarage
https://www.2strokeworld.net
https://www.rzrd500.com

Exhausts are from what I've been told to be older DG pipes. I'm hopeful that they get the 2-stroke crackle if not I'll get some Toomeys or Spec II or All-Speed / Microns.

I'll have the UNI filters for now with the stock carbs (still needs to have the 2T oil nozzle put back on) with a bore size of 64.25mm

A trial run and state where it sits of of this writing.

m in sc

looking good. the DG rz pipes are pretty good compared to everything else they did exhaust wise, not sure exactly what those are but should def sound good and hopefully perform well. straight headpipes def show its an older design (vs tapered)

good progress for sure  :olaf:  :clap:

Kawtriplefreak

85RZwade

:thumbs: excellent! Thanks for putting another RZ back on the road, and reach out if you need something. I have RZ parts, and I'll look for that clevis pin. Contrary to what you might expect, most John Deere parts are metric spec, so your pin might also fit a green tractor.
I post waayyy too much

dgorms

I might have a few bits and pieces laying about, feel free to reach out..................D
rz,r5,ds7,srx,fzr400rr,vfr,cl77,s90, F-7,CL 77, CA-77,ad infinitum

kpke

The bike is looking very good. Thanks for the "Ken's Garage" mention in your post and glad you found the channel helpful. Post here if you need part as others mentioned. I typically don't sell any of my hoard because every time I do I need that part next week. But on occasion help others out. Looking forward to more on your build.
https://www.youtube.com/c/KensGarage1
Hord of RZ350's
RZV500 R6 Suspension and Bodywork
R1 LE #158

skyline

Thanks everyone for the kind words and encouragement.  :patriot:

Ken, I really enjoy your videos and wouldn't have gone far without them for sure. Needles to say, I'm subscribed. Is there any secret recipe on setting the mufflers to get the distinctive 2-stroke crackle the way you got at 1 minute mark in this video below?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LB1nB0jDH4

Right now the clevis pin and the exhaust springs are the only ones I foresee so John Deere parts and/or Tractor supply might help but I'll let you guys know.

kpke

Quote from: skyline on February 01, 2024, 06:42:11 PMIs there any secret recipe on setting the mufflers to get the distinctive 2-stroke crackle the way you got at 1 minute mark in this video below?

No secret recipe. That first start video was in the garage and it was all closed up. I did repack those Spec 2 silencers years ago. When I did that years ago I thought it got too quiet. My thrasher bike with Toomeys I have never repacked the silencers. It's loud and I love it. The 500 sings a good tune also. I'm sure your bike will sound great with those (Toomey?) pipes although the silencers look non-Toomey. Good luck.
https://www.youtube.com/c/KensGarage1
Hord of RZ350's
RZV500 R6 Suspension and Bodywork
R1 LE #158

skyline

Quote from: kpke on February 02, 2024, 08:13:06 AM
Quote from: skyline on February 01, 2024, 06:42:11 PMIs there any secret recipe on setting the mufflers to get the distinctive 2-stroke crackle the way you got at 1 minute mark in this video below?

No secret recipe. That first start video was in the garage and it was all closed up. I did repack those Spec 2 silencers years ago. When I did that years ago I thought it got too quiet. My thrasher bike with Toomeys I have never repacked the silencers. It's loud and I love it. The 500 sings a good tune also. I'm sure your bike will sound great with those (Toomey?) pipes although the silencers look non-Toomey. Good luck.

Thanks Ken, I'll see how it goes. I'd probably add a first-start video as the time comes.

skyline

Over the weekend it snowed quite a bit here (10 inches) but I did some work on the RZ. I finally added the rear wheel collar that I somehow missed and was bugging me.

I checked the carbs and they looked to be fine, so I didn't bother rebuilding as they look pretty clean and got the UNI filters installed. I also got the Boyesen reeds to go as well.

Now I have two things that to sort out, perhaps you gentlemen can educate me:-

1. I laid out the throttle cables. Mine has the stock push-pull setup but somehow the cable is 1-into-3 type.

I thought on standard setup we have the following ones:-

Throttle Cable #1 (throttle & pump cable):
OEM Part number: 48H-26260-00 (supersession 48H-26260-09 )

Throttle Cable #2:
OEM Part number: 48H-26312-00

Can someone pitch in and see why the difference? Do I have wrong one?  :umm:

2. I laid out the wiring to the best of my ability looking at the manual, seeing what's done on forums, etc. but I see this black wire and suppose this is for ground. Can someone show me where this goes?

Some pics attached for reference.

Thanks in advance.

85RZwade

Yup, you have the wrong cable assy for a U.S. spec RZ there. I would guess what you have is for a Canadian RZ or an LC, as the small barrels on the ends of your cables are meant to pull slides up, rather than rotate the bell crank of the conjoined RZ carbs. The cable you need has a larger barrel, oriented the other way.
I post waayyy too much

skyline

Quote from: 85RZwade on February 05, 2024, 10:12:26 AMYup, you have the wrong cable assy for a U.S. spec RZ there. I would guess what you have is for a Canadian RZ or an LC, as the small barrels on the ends of your cables are meant to pull slides up, rather than rotate the bell crank of the conjoined RZ carbs. The cable you need has a larger barrel, oriented the other way.

Thanks for checking the cable, you're correct indeed.

Is anyone willing to part a spare at reasonable price?

This is up for grabs if anyone needs, just offer me decent price (only wrong thing - it's got is the rubber connector cracked as seen in picture). Else I'll eventually put it in SALE section.