News:

Deals Gap Shenanigans

Deals Gap 2-stroke meet 2024 : May 5-12th.  25th year!
(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

2104 Grom.. 2t conversion

Started by m in sc, September 04, 2019, 11:36:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

m in sc

Just as an update, at around 6100 miles on the bike, it was time for the 3rd set of tires. swapped 1st set at 1500 miles to the power pures. they finally got hard enough for me to not enjoy them, so ordered a new set of city grips.

Had to recalibrate speedometer since the new ones ar e a slightly different diameter (130 now vs 140) and went out and saw dad.

after the initial issues i had, this thing has been rock solid since, for 2.5? years + now.  :cheerleader:

I legit ran out of road, but can hit 90..93 . if i tucked id get damn close to 100. if i regeared it, would  be pretty easy but i have the smallest stock rear sprocket (rebel250) i can get on it.

:haw:

sav0r

And it is still badass.

I know a 125 shifter kart is good for 105mph or so and they have awful aero. With 250cc you could get more than that I'd imagine, especially in that the aero has to be slightly better. That said, first gear would be good for like 40mph or something. Probably not practical.

Makes me wonder if they make a wide range stack for that transmission.
www.chrislivengood.net - for my projects and musings.

m in sc

its a pretty close ratio out of the quad, and my intake system is absolutely dismal due to packaging, im probably giving up a solid 5hp there alone. also the high end of the rpm range is maybe... 8500? Now, if i went to like an RM cylinder, might be a different story.

I like it the way it is TBH. its def plenty.  and thanks for the compliment.   :gentleman:

Evans Ward

You know I love a sleeper vehicle- definitely badass!!  :metal: :olaf:
1984 Yamaha RZ350
1976 Suzuki GT750
1972 Kawasaki H2 750 Mach IV

Clem710

It is indeed badass, very well balanced and easy to ride like a regular person if so inclined. 

Plenty quick and fast but totally manageable, less bananas than Jaime's 750, we'd all buy em if they made them that way.

I'm sure M can nitpick it but I dont remember anything other than it being a very fun bike.  We'll, I think the speedo didnt wasnt done yet when I was on it but it is/was? totally unnecessary @ the gap, you are well aware that you are going faster than the legal limit.

Still waiting for him to find a new shiny object and need the space:)  I'm afraid its a keeper tho.

m in sc

lol. yeah the speedo was def a bit off on that trip. Also, that was when the stator took a dump the last day, easy fix though. Not chap but way better now.

Thanks for the kind words, it is a LOT easier and smoother to ride than most people think. 

Clem710

I remember being suprised at the number of people that declined your offer, its not like someone else is on the bike controlling your right hand. 

Dead stator, meh, its an old engine, things break.

I've seen plenty of adults whisky flip the kids 80/85 goin up hills on the pipe, maybe thats where all the hesitation comes from.

Just saw one of the old yzs yesterday, the Gromdinger is about the same size, think yz sits higher but is softer.

m in sc

I had a YZ85. those things are fkn gnarly. would pull 3rd gear power wheelies with me on it, dead stock.  :devil:

Kawtriplefreak

m in sc

Not much of an update, this thing just keeps trucking on. rode it to work today.

while i can hit a faster top speed, I ran out of road and the gps (from phone to watch) lags, I saw 84 indicated.

I did throw in an iridium plug yesterday, and have a nology coil I added (had it leftover from the old 4 stroke setup). while it does nothing better up high as far as feel, down low it def idles cleaner and takes off better.

Iridium plugs tend to be hard to read but water temp stays at 140-ish and no signs of being lean or too rich. This plug has maybe 15 miles on it.

dgorms

rz,r5,ds7,srx,fzr400rr,vfr,cl77,s90, F-7,CL 77, CA-77,ad infinitum