News:

Mat Oxley 1986 IOM TT

click above to read more about Mat.

Main Menu

2104 Grom.. 2t conversion

Started by m in sc, September 04, 2019, 11:36:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

m in sc

so, after breaking the rod in the 4 valve head motor back in may, been gathering parts and getting other projects wrapped up to repair it. of course.... im me so here we go. watch this space. going to go 250 2 stroke. Pipe showed up yesterday, and the schedule in the garage is clearing so this should ramp up quickly.

Complete rebuilt LT250R motor also arrrived, will start documenting when i get it back home from where im storing the bike (work)

pdxjim

Counterbalanced LT motor is a great choice for a little bike and should really help with the vibes 👍

Stoked to watch this progress.
Wasting time on 2T forums since the dawn of the internet. '89 TDR250, '13 300xcw, '19 690smcr, '56 Porsche 356A

Organicjedi

Great choice of engine. They got really good in '87.

:popcorn2:

m in sc

thanks. it's actually an 86 but I got a killer deal on it . still 400% more hp than a stock grom.  :taz:

Organicjedi

Quote from: m in sc on September 04, 2019, 12:20:02 PM
thanks. it's actually an 86 but I got a killer deal on it . still 400% more hp than a stock grom.  :taz:

Absolutely! It'll be waaay more fun.

2 Stroke Jamoke

Hell yea I love a good engine swap!! :righteous:

m in sc

it should be fairly straightforward i think, compared to the other stuff ive done. theres plenty of room from what i can tell. the pipe routing and a few small electrical unknowns are really the only things i really dont know about yet.

motodreams

Hey M, why not go for a more, ehhem, interesting motor such as a motocross 250?

m in sc

motocross motors are a pain in the ass on a streetbike, trust me on that. 36 hp will be quite plenty. with 27hp i could hit 95 so....   rideability is a factor here.

teazer

As is staying alive, I would think.  :whistle:

AtLarge

I always love a good frankenbuild.  Standing by...  :popcorn2:
1973 Honda CL70-K3
1975 Kawasaki 350 F9-C
1994 BMW K1100RS
2023 Honda CRF300L Rally ABS

Kawtriplefreak

m in sc

preliminary eyeballing seems to show that this should be pretty good to fit. to that point.. i think the rear motor mount may actually line up by absolute coincidence. or be extremely close. I still need to add an upper/front, remove the stock upper mount on the grom frame, and figure out how to clock the carb out a bit.

I also just sort of set the fmf pipe i have for the 250 motor in there, i should be able to run it with minimal mods, some re-clocking and the stinger will need to be reworked. (it should sit back about 4-6" from where it is in there now) when i get the original motor out in the next day or 2 this will make things a lot clearer.  :haw:

gwcrim

What a great build idea.  How will you keep the front tire on the ground?

m in sc