News:

Mat Oxley 1986 IOM TT

click above to read more about Mat.

Main Menu

2104 Grom.. 2t conversion

Started by m in sc, September 04, 2019, 11:36:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

m in sc

mockup using aftermarket cr radiators. theres some tweaking and trimming that needs to be done. primarily the filler neck needs to be relocated to the far left and the permanent mount sneed to be put in. reclock the crossover tubes as well. when i trim back the black cowling it should clear. Ironically, the (up to now fake) vents in the sidecover will now actually be functional to let the heat out, and i will need to trim the stock front black cowlings as well to surround the radiator top tanks better.

the other exhaust pipe should be here tomorrow. thats the last time consuming fabrication thing to figure out.  :devil:

m in sc

exhaust layout. went with stock chamber, the fmf i had just wasnt going to work out.

tacked up. welds will be cleaned up, tabs added and removed, etc. as a side note, stock pegs going back on, will clear kickstarter beautifully with them.

Kawtriplefreak

quocle603

That pipe is going to give it some serious low end.
Do not underestimate the power of a two-stroke.

1975 Yamaha RD350 (modified), 1973 Yamaha RD350 (stock), 1971 Suzuki T500, 1981 Yamaha XS650 HS2, 1982 Honda MB5, 1980 Puch Maxi, 1979 Puch Magnum, 1993 Tomos Bullet, 2003 Malaguti Firefox F15 LC

m in sc

SOME DETAIL UPDATES:
So, the radiators finally got permanently mounted (see below) with welded on mounts on the frame.  But the filler neck was dead in the way of the fork at full steering lock. I didn't want to reduce that, so i needed to move the filler, and clock it around 90 degrees to get the overflow pointed back. also, the upper crossover was facing the wrong way, and the lower pipes which go over the intake at the cylinder needed to be canted 'up' a bit.  So, sunday was aluminum welding day. after all this was done, i could finally place the bodywork and mod to fit.

mounted but not yet modified.

modifying the radiators:

facing filler in lathe for welding prep

when i welded this on, was aware of the impurities int he metal, so cleaned and i rewelded some, filling the flaws.

david wanted to weld the neck, he has 35 years experience so i was like 'have at it'. i was addressing the final welding on the exhaust  pipe and body work while he was doing this.

you can see it moved here. note the bodywork on on the RH side, the front cowling modified to fit around the top of the tank.

need to clean it up a bit, but you get the idea. also now the upper crossover is aimed back to connect behind the neck to the other tank.

LH side done.

i will be painting the radiators black after i pressure test them.

this is the final fitment. this needed to be done to dictate where cable ran, plumbing, coil mounting, electrical routing, etc. Had to cut the lower black trim as well, but the painted bodywork fits with one slight mod per side. this was my goal from the get go.

pipe is fully welded, need to add mounts, and address rear brake lever after that (next).

sorry for the boring details but this was basically a full day of finalizing work on this part of the project.  :cheerleader:

Kawtriplefreak

suey1958

Nicely done Mark !  Looks great.   :clap:

SUPERTUNE

RD machine work, boring, porting, cranks and engine building.

Chuck 'SUPERTUNE' Quenzler III
Team Scream Racing LLC
1920 Sherwood St. STE A
Clearwater, FL. 33765
cqsupertune@tampabay.rr.com

m in sc

few updates:
moved LH subframe support  to clear uni filter (yes i'll get a new filter). will clean up all this when i take the motor out to do final build.

all fits within body work.  :haw:

finalising exhaust. going to move the muffler up about 2" closer tot he body work, this was just preiminary. need to cut stock mounts off muffler housing too.

Getting there.

also ordered a zeel box from economy to handle the ignition curve

JA-Moo

Guess I have to dig out my F9 motor.......  :dawg:

m in sc

quocle603

0h man, this thing is going to rip with that Flatslide carb and a zeel electronic controller. BRAPPPPPPP!!!!!  :eek:
Do not underestimate the power of a two-stroke.

1975 Yamaha RD350 (modified), 1973 Yamaha RD350 (stock), 1971 Suzuki T500, 1981 Yamaha XS650 HS2, 1982 Honda MB5, 1980 Puch Maxi, 1979 Puch Magnum, 1993 Tomos Bullet, 2003 Malaguti Firefox F15 LC

JA-Moo

Quote from: m in sc on October 30, 2019, 12:16:42 PM
ok...?

Kidding, the F9 350 motor would be dragging the ground in the G3ss frame.............. :dawg:

m in sc

yeah, you'd need a -slight- chassis upgrade  :dawg:

m in sc

got the muffler location sorted. down to cosmetics and finishing a few of the welds.

8)