News:

Mat Oxley 1986 IOM TT

click above to read more about Mat.

Main Menu

Another LC/TZ Hybrid

Started by 85RZwade, January 12, 2020, 02:45:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

85RZwade

I'm going to claim "up too late working on the bike". Upon THIRD look yes, both pistons are .25 over as your sharp eyes noticed.
I post waayyy too much

m in sc

id def consider refreshing the pistons/cyls for piece of mind. otherwise looks like a good donor motor for sure.  :cheerleader:

85RZwade

Oh, yes. New pistons without question, if the bores clean up with a hone I'll be over the moon. Otherwise they'll be off to meet Garrett.  The crankshaft LOOKS lovely, but we'll see how it measures. New main bearings and seals at the very least.
I post waayyy too much

pdxjim

I have a great vapor blasting hookup here in Portland if you want to make that engine look like new.
Wasting time on 2T forums since the dawn of the internet. '89 TDR250, '13 300xcw, '19 690smcr, '56 Porsche 356A

85RZwade

I'm thinking a trip to Portland is sounding good; I'd like to meet you, and I was just admiring the stuff from GFTP. Drop off parts with Garrett, have some stuff vapor blasted, look at fiberglass...hold on, my VISA card just caught fire inside my wallet.
Let me get this lump apart and figure out what other parts to do and I'll make a plan. Maybe this would be a candidate once the chain rash is healed...but then what? That alodine that 27cycles used was interesting.

Swingarm and fork legs sorta copper-colored...maybe that would be too much color.
I post waayyy too much

85RZwade

Incremental progress last night on the LC teardown. No big problems, but a few wee 'uns:

Water pump shaft is worse than it looks

As is the clutch pushrod
I post waayyy too much

85RZwade

Yikes!

Notches are worse in person than they look

But this will be better!
Gears look good overall but there's a bit of rust down in the valleys of the kickstart idler. Since it doesn't spin very fast or often I probably won't worry about it. The oddest thing was this:

I couldn't remember ever seeing a red clutch cover gasket, yet that's the only gasket on the clutch side of the engine, right? tacky1, a member over at the RZ/RD500 site identified it I believe correctly as the gasket inside the clutch. Who sells that gasket? Maybe one of the aftermarket clutch vendors? It's been awhile since I replaced a clutch basket, maybe the gasket gets discarded...more research!
Be well, friends  8)
I post waayyy too much

RustyRD

oh yeh. I want to run that clutch setup. Bittersweet working on engines sometimes, satisfaction of doing it yourself, and then the reality of $$$$$ when you see condition of certain components. :clap: :clap:
Russ

m in sc

that gasket is a new one on me.

85RZwade

I hear you, Russ. Gaskets, seals, pistons, bearings, clutch parts all add up, and then of course there's the cost of machine work. In my view, crank service is a must; I would not drop a used crankshaft back in unless a machinist measured it and deemed it serviceable, and boring the same. The consequences are just too expensive and potentially dangerous, so I may forego portiing and headwork on this build in order to get it together and running.
I post waayyy too much

RustyRD

Well it did not get that way overnight, soooo it goes back together at a moderate pace. Riding it and having a before and after porting will be fun. :vroom: This hobby is such a character building one, and helps with patience :bang: :whistle:

85RZwade

I post waayyy too much

pdxjim

Quote from: 85RZwade on March 22, 2020, 08:52:57 PM
I hear you, Russ. Gaskets, seals, pistons, bearings, clutch parts all add up, and then of course there's the cost of machine work. In my view, crank service is a must; I would not drop a used crankshaft back in unless a machinist measured it and deemed it serviceable, and boring the same. The consequences are just too expensive and potentially dangerous, so I may forego portiing and headwork on this build in order to get it together and running.

It's true.  Nothing better for motivation than hearing it run

You can always go back in for tuning next winter
Wasting time on 2T forums since the dawn of the internet. '89 TDR250, '13 300xcw, '19 690smcr, '56 Porsche 356A

rodneya

Quote from: 85RZwade on March 21, 2020, 10:46:25 AM

Yikes!

Notches are worse in person than they look

But this will be better!
Gears look good overall but there's a bit of rust down in the valleys of the kickstart idler. Since it doesn't spin very fast or often I probably won't worry about it. The oddest thing was this:

I couldn't remember ever seeing a red clutch cover gasket, yet that's the only gasket on the clutch side of the engine, right? tacky1, a member over at the RZ/RD500 site identified it I believe correctly as the gasket inside the clutch. Who sells that gasket? Maybe one of the aftermarket clutch vendors? It's been awhile since I replaced a clutch basket, maybe the gasket gets discarded...more research!
Be well, friends  8)

Aftermarket baskets usually dint use the gasket from the stocker

teazer

That's odd.  Where does that gasket sit and what's it's purpose?  Looks like it sits between the gear and the basket, but I have stripped a couple of RD350 clutches recently and no sign of a gasket when I replaced the cush drive rubbers