News:

Mat Oxley 1986 IOM TT

click above to read more about Mat.

Main Menu

Another LC/TZ Hybrid

Started by 85RZwade, January 12, 2020, 02:45:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

85RZwade

A) thank you for the help, Joe. I've thought a lot about making the rear mounts, but your solution is elegant, simple and foolproof.
B) sorry to jump back and forth, but here's a better shot of the TZ rear mount, removed from it's natural habitat. It's designed to bolt to both the upper and lower case halves, and since the LC lacks a mounting point on it's lower half, I don't feel this is a good solution for me. Any mechanical engineers out there?

Take a breath...calm, calm...belong.
I post waayyy too much

RustyRD

Wade
Cool pics of the progress on your project. The combination of your components is presenting a slight challenge for you, but looks like you got it under control. The  finished bike will bring a bigger smile upon completion.
Russ

85RZwade

I post waayyy too much

Jspooner

Quote from: Jspooner on February 11, 2020, 10:25:49 PM
Next time I'm out in the shop I'll take some pics of my mounts and post them.

Wade,

Here's a few pics of the mounts I made. I couldn't get any of the tie bars without removing the pipes. The front is basically just spacers. The upper rear is a hanger type mount.
"Just quit brain fucking it and get it done"

85RZwade

Thanks for the effort, Joe. I appreciate your time and input. For some reason I'd like to make use of the TZ rear mount, but I can't see any advantage to it over your solution.  :clap:
Your rear mount is really tidy; was it machined from billet? I would have to weld somethings up, as nothing in my barn says Bridgeport on it  :'(
I post waayyy too much

Jspooner

Quote from: 85RZwade on February 13, 2020, 09:19:16 AM
Thanks for the effort, Joe. I appreciate your time and input. For some reason I'd like to make use of the TZ rear mount, but I can't see any advantage to it over your solution.  :clap:
Your rear mount is really tidy; was it machined from billet? I would have to weld somethings up, as nothing in my barn says Bridgeport on it  :'(

Thanks, and yes, I machined it out of billet.

m in sc

does anything say 'miller' or 'lincoln' on it?  :science:

bitzz

I have never seen a TZ rear mount that looks like that. The TZ only has one set of mounting holes on the back, like a RD. I just checked a TR3, a TZ "B" and a TZ "G", all mount the same as an RD.
The TZ didn't use the top mount either. It was found the vibration would crack the cases around the mount, so after the "B" model there was a service bulletin to scrap that mount. I leave them off RD400 racers with no problems.
An upgrade that WAS/IS done to TZ frames is to rubber mount the motor. The TZ has rubber mounts on the front like a RD400 (a 350 doesn't), but we add rubber mounts to the rear. The frames don't crack nearly as often with this upgrade.

... and if you plan on racing this thing I suggest you use a floating rotor. AHMRA/VRRA class legal and they last a LOT longer before warping.

m in sc

pretty sure joe used lc cases/tz topend.

Jspooner

Quote from: m in sc on February 13, 2020, 11:11:09 AM
pretty sure joe used lc cases/tz topend.

Correct, ^^^^^ but I'm thinking Jim is referring to the mount that Wade wants to use.

85RZwade

There's a Miller at work, and oxy-acetylene here at home.
The '81 H model TZ was a new design and shared no significant parts with preceding TZs or RDs, hence the different mounts.
I post waayyy too much

85RZwade

As I mentioned elsewhere, I've cleared some bench space and improved my work area lighting. Next step is to yank the Elsie engine out and get it onto said bench for disassembly and evaluation. I assume the crank will need some attention, and maybe the cylinders. The sequence of events I imagine is:
Have crank rebuilt if viable and cylinders bored if necessary
Gather seals, gaskets, pistons, etc.
Mate LC top case with AC bottom case to establish engine mounts as Mr. Spooner recommended
Decide if any port work is to be done. I'll be penny less at this point, so...
Assemble bottom and top ends, measure squish clearance
Decide what to do with cylinder head. Probably sell a kidney.
Am I forgetting anything important in the above process?
I post waayyy too much

85RZwade

Elsie gave up her engine this evening,without much drama. Oil was dark and nasty, but not glittery, and coolant was clean, clear and bright.

Landed on the bench in the clean room  :bs:pretty little thing she is not.

Giant sigh of relief. Couldn't ask for nicer looking crowns or domes. Does the head look uncut?

Someone's been here before me...

And did a little tentative cutting in the transfers. What other surprises lurk within?

Intakes appear unmolested, but that far cylinder wall isn't happy; yes, I can feel those scratches with a fingernail.

Exhaust port looks unmodified to my untrained eye...what do the LC experts think? Vesrah!

And then there are these boys. I think they've been up and down a few times. Dykes top ring. Are they OEM? Doesn't matter, they're being relieved of duty.

Good job men, you may stand down :patriot:
The good news is that the engine looks a lot better inside than out. I'll drop a bore guage in the cylinders next to see if they've met the boring bar yet, then continue with the teardown. Until next time, thanks for stopping by!
I post waayyy too much

85RZwade

Cylinders measured 64.2 mm just about everywhere this morning, which was nice to see. Makes me wonder why the cylinders came off before...? Regular maintenance? :eek:
I post waayyy too much

rodneya

Clean up the top of the pistons and have a look whats stamped on them. The one looks like it has a 25 on top, so could be is over.
Dyke rings, so they have probably been in there for a very long time