News:

Deals Gap Shenanigans

Deals Gap 2-stroke meet 2024 : May 5-12th.  25th year!
(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

monoshock gt250/yzf

Started by Gil Gallad, October 08, 2020, 05:51:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gil Gallad

ok, i got the reed valve gt250 engine running fine. anyway, to the point where it will start first kick every time. now what, thinks me? i saw this monoshock swingarm off a yam yzf125r and liked the looks of it. first fit i'm very pleased with, but there's a lot of fabbing between now and the finished product. why do i keep doing this to myself?  ;D
cheers, gil.

first fit:

edgefinder

Man what the heck did your yz's look like over there, your working with parts we didn't get again I bet. I stalled on a project so cutting and taking on another

85RZwade

I post waayyy too much

Gil Gallad

sorry kids, typo  :bang: it should actually say: swingarm from a yamaha yzf 125r or yzf r125, whichever you prefer. it's coming on anyway. when i make some decent progress, apart from measuring and mocking up, i'll post a couple of photo's  8)
cheers, gil.

Gil Gallad

long way and a long time. all welded up and works properly. just trying to get the chain run dead on now, then hopefully the rear end will be finished  ;D
cheers, gil.
p.s. more info on the build when my new shed heater gets here. too bloody cold to type  :eek:

rear shock mount:

m in sc

im not sure if you are going to, but id add a gusset per side.

:twocents:

Gil Gallad

hi mark, sorry i thought i'd answered this. obviously not  :eek: across the back of the plate is another square crossmember, welded right above the shock mount. it's welded right across the plate, top and bottom, as well as welded to the diagonal frame tubes. plus the diagonal tubes sit under the top frame tubes, so they won't go anywhere. tbh, i think it's well over engineered, and anyway, it's now at the powdercoaters having a nice bright red put on it, so too late  8)
cheers, gil.

m in sc

ha. sweet! should be fine, im known for way over engineering stuff. love it.
looking forward to seeing the frame in a red.  :clap:

Gil Gallad

wait no longer. finally got the red and chrome bits back this morning. just got to wait a couple of days for the black bits. chrome powdercoating looks much better in the flesh, it looks like nickel plating. very pleased  8)
cheers, gil.

red and chrome bits:

m in sc

very nice.

the wheel do look really, really good

SoCal250

75 Yamaha RD125B   75 Yamaha RD125B (project)
75 Yamaha RD250B   75 Yamaha RD200B (project)
73 Yamaha RD350     77 Yamaha RD400D   79 Yamaha RD400F  
91 Yamaha TZR250R  89 Yamaha FZR400   05 Yamaha FZ6   
05 Yamaha XT225TC  82 Honda MB5  02 Aprilia RS250 Cup (sold)

Gil Gallad

and so it begins again  :burnout: just wish the temperature would rise a bit  8)
cheers, gil.

we've started:

Gil Gallad

getting there. sorry i haven't got the time to commentate on everything i've done to the old girl, but as you can see, i've been busy. working on the rear brake atm, after spending several days getting the chain run right. excuse the mess. when this is finished i'll have a tidy up - promise  8)
cheers, gil.

reed valve gt250:

with rear wheel:

50gary

Quick note, gussets are usually placed on the 'side' of the tubes, so as not to cause a stress riser, two cents.
  Cheers, 50gary

85RZwade

That rear sprocket (sorry, chainwheel) looks big, Gil; are you going to trail ride that bad boy?
I post waayyy too much